Author Topic: Blue Cross not paying for nerve monitoring  (Read 6374 times)

Ellenmn

Blue Cross not paying for nerve monitoring
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:25:00 am »
I just received a letter last night form Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. They are saying because of the way the Intraoperative neurophysiolgy testing is being billed they will not pay for it. They are not considering the monitoring team part of the surgical team and it is not payable separately. I called and insurance number and they said that it's not the procedure it's the ways it's billed. I called the Doctors office and they said BCBS is the only insurance that's not paying it and the billing issue is BCBS way of not covering the process. So if I still want the surgery done I will have to pay it myself or continue to fight BCBS after the surgery.

Well I sure this is not going to be cheap so if they won't pay for it I will be forced to cancel my surgery.

I was in so much pain when I got home last night and then  to open this letter I just wanted to cry. I didn't though to much to do.

I called our rep that the company has but he's out of town until Monday so I left a message. Hopefully he can help me get this taken care of.

tuckerro

Re: Blue Cross not paying for nerve monitoring
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11:40 pm »
Ellen,

My HMO plan wouldn't allow me to go to an experienced surgeon, out of my plan (out of state), so I fought and fought and appealed and appealled, until I finally got my way.  MY HMO's fight, was the in plan, out of plan distinction.  There was a guy in plan that could do this, but only had 40 procedures under his belt.  Clearly a novice, as compared to Brackmann, who does hundreds of these per year, and thousands in his career.

I appealled to the end. The insurance doesn't think most people will.  My plan had the final appeal as a panel of people, unrelated to my insurance plan at all, in a different state.  The panel was a physician, nurse, and someone else in the medical field, totally unrelated to my insurance.  My  insurance had told me I could get microsurgery inplan from the novice, or go to Texas, and get Gamma Knife at a qaulifying or related hospital, with two other doctors.  I did my research on those fellows, which were nice, but inexperienced, and left me feeling panicked at the thought of them handling my procedure.

I argued like crazy, picked apart my patient's rights, and other documents for anything I could stick my foot on and argue about.  I argued that it had been my experience in dealing with my HMO, and through my entire appeal process and ordeal, that I have been specifically denied numerous rights granted to me as a member, while to my knowledge being in complete compliance with the payment of my premiums and all of my responsibilities under the Subscriber Agreement.  As a result of the interference with my rights, I have not been able to adequately defend myself nor my position in this appeal process, nor have I been provided with all of the information necessary to me in this appeal. 

I also argued that if a doctor didn't want to see me, they wouldn't force him to, and that as a patient, I should have the same choice.  I thought that was taken well by the panel.  I also argued that when comparing the track records of Brackmann versus the ones they wanted, the total experience, success rate, percentage of bad cases, etc. made it clear that there wasn't an in plan doctor of the magnitude that I could get out of plan, and that argument I think is the one that  swayed them to let me go out of plan. 

The monitoring, as I understand it and as it was explained to me, is an integral part of the procedure, and is necessary to ensure your safety as the patient, and the success of the procedure.  I'd appeal their decision, and fight.  I'd get as much literature or opinions of surgeons on this issue, and give them a fight.  Don't delay surgery on the payment issue.  If that's what you want, fight for it, appeal, appeal appeal, and fight for your rights. 

RON.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

Ellenmn

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19:22 am »
I haven't been on an  internet connection for a few days.
I am very impressed with my doctor on this matter. Dr. Battista got an email I sent to the office on this matter with a copy of the BCBS letter. He was so upset about it that he called a physican contact of his at BCBS, He then sent me an email to assure me that that BCBS  will cover the nerve monitoring. Just to make sure that I knew this quickly he also had the gal from his office call me. The office also said that if I have any problems with the billing after surgery to let them know and they be all over it.

amylynn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:35:52 am »
Ellen, Ron is right you have to fight, if you have to, email your governor, file a complaint against the state and keep the appeals process going.  Dont be afraid to ask for help.  It takes lots determination and hard work.  If any verbal agreements are made get it in writing prior to the surgery. Dont give up.
Amylynn
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:38:38 am by amylynn »
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:49:48 pm »
Hi, Ellen:

I know this thread is old so I'll simply trust that all went well with your AN surgery.

I had to fight with BC to pay for my nerve monitoring.  After receiving a (BC requested) letter from my surgeon stating that it was necessary, they agreed to pay.  Never take 'no' for an answer when it comes to health issues and if its especially related to surgery.  I had no post-op facial paralysis or other nerve-related complications and I believe that nerve monitoring played a crucial role in that positive outcome. 

I'm pleased to read that BC will cover your nerve monitoring, after all.  They should have done so without the fight but then, it's an insurance company and 'no' is their reflex to anything even slightly out of the ordinary, no matter how necessary it may be. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.