Author Topic: Difficulties with getting back in shape.  (Read 4893 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
Difficulties with getting back in shape.
« on: May 16, 2007, 10:36:14 pm »
Hello everyone, docs said I could resume activity, workout, lift weights-so after 3 weeks of slowly getting back into an exercise routine, mostly walking, I pushed it for the first time today. On the 30th rep in a bicep curl with a ten lb. dumbell in each hand, something in my head felt like it tore. Suddenly the tightness, swollen feeling, giant corn cob in the ear feeling and general pain, put a stop to the rest of today. I'm so discouraged. How did you guys get back into shape? My translab was on 1/22/07, shouldn't everything have healed in there [my head] by now?  How long before you guys could get in a good work out?  Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

tony

Re: Difficulties with getting back in shape.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:07:30 am »
I think your theory is right - its the time frame thats out
My "full" recovery is now in its 24th( ?) mth
and now some days I out stamina "non-ops"
 a month back I beat a mate on the back nine
(he was tired he said )
- his other hobby ? - Karate...
My suggestion is you take it slow and steady
at first - your brain might well remember all
that you could do before....
Your body will have a way of reminding
you that you pushed it too hard and too soon....
Best Regards
Tony

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:40:31 pm »
Yvette,
  Your capacity for exercise should continue to improve for some time, albeit slowly. Even a year from now, you'll may be continuing to improve. It's a little different for everyone.  I'm back to playing pick-up basketball.  But for the first year, bringing up the heart rate with heavy exercise brought on a low grade headache.
Regards,
 Rob   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:29:00 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:40:54 pm »
Thanks guys. What is pick-up basketball Rob? Oh-update. I have a "Fluid pouch" that doc says should reabsorb. I'm down again for 2 weeks/no activity besides walking. Don't believe them when they tell you you can resume normal activities. I even kept it very easy for 3 weeks before the incident, but began to feel like a wuss, so I pushed it for the first time. Everybody was encouraging me to do so; I should of listened to my body and not others (professional or not). Tony, so even 2 years isn't a sure-fire "back to normal" benchmark? Wow. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

tony

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:41:00 am »
sadley no,  and no two are alike and many crack it in weeks or months
Go with the flow and take your time
There are no prizes for first - but consequences if you do really overdo it
Good Luck
Tony

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:01:25 pm »
That's funny-no prizes for first-you're sure right on both ends! Thanks, Yvette

SteveWWD

• www.myacousticneuroma.com
    • http://www.myacousticneuroma.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:30:07 pm »
Had a retrosig in 10/07 and really eased back into working out slowly.  My incision area tightens a lot as I work out, and I really do not go heavy anymore, or at least I haven't yet.  Never had anything "pop" suddenly but it is best to take everything slowly.  I find running is fine.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:18:32 pm »
Hi Steve, my incision feels tight at times too-it's as if the skin cannot stretch. It's different from the general full head tightness. How funny. Can't believe you can run! Wow. My fluid pouch reabsorbed on its own without a drain having to be put in. I'm up to a brisk hike now-I think running is over for me. With retrosig, does the procedure require a metal plate in your head? What is your overall condition now? Yvette

jimmy r

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:50:37 am »
You are bumming me out telling me that you can't work out 7 months after sugery. I am 3 weeks out and chomping at the bit to start biking again. Right now a 30 minute walk is all i can handle. I was able to go sailing for 4 hours last night and out on a motor boat the night before. This is my second AN operation - 20 years ago when i was 30 I was back at it within a few months. i guess it is different for everybody and each situation so all you do is take it as it comes.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 07:12:57 pm »
Hi Jimmy-if a 30 minute walk is all you can do, please don't try to push it! Bad things happened to me when I was chomping at the bit to get back to normal and workout hard. I paid big time. It set me back at least 3 months. Hard to start from scratch. I lift less weight but more often now, and walk/hike instead of run. As soon as it starts to get tough, I quit. I sometimes walk twice in one day instead of trying to get it all in at once. Listen to your body! Best wishes, Yvette

jimmy r

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 05:37:52 pm »
Thanks for the warning. I will take it slow. I do several  short walks a day.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 07:10:14 am »
Excelent!

SteveWWD

• www.myacousticneuroma.com
    • http://www.myacousticneuroma.com
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 07:19:11 pm »
I run all the time, in fact that is what I do more so than lift weightslike I used to.  I have a metal plate in my head, but running has not seemed to be a problem whatsoever.