Author Topic: Thanks for Info about Ohio Drs.  (Read 3571 times)

Razor

Thanks for Info about Ohio Drs.
« on: May 16, 2007, 05:08:41 pm »
 ;D I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question about Drs in Ohio. Its so great to see how many people care to take the time to answer. God Bless all of you an now I some tools to march foward an see what happens. My better half said I was crazy for going on line an reading about the negatives with Translab surgery, and I have to say it is. She KNOWS how much of a worrywart I am but then again since I have never dealt with this before I believe its a smart thing to do to read about the PROs an CONs. Thanks again and all have a great day. JJ

Pembo

Re: Thanks for Info about Ohio Drs.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:47:21 pm »
I read very cautiously about the cons, I didn't want to know.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:41 pm »
I know there are a lot of "scary" stories floating around out there.  It's really hard not to read them.  I remember going through the same process before my surgery.

But, also please know that there are a lot of us out here who have had surgery and have no complications.  You are not doomed, by any means.  There are so many factors (many of which are not in your control) that determine outcome, and nothing is guaranteed - positive or negative!  Personally, I'm now 8 months post-op, and you'd never know.  No vertigo, no headaches, no facial nerve issues, no dry eye, no dizziness, no taste changes - nothing past about 3 or 4 weeks post-op.  I think a lot of the patients who have surgical outcomes like mine don't hang around the forums as much - the AN no longer affects their daily life, and they've moved on.  Which is great for them!  But it means the next people diagnosed don't get to hear those stories. 

The most important thing you can do is do your research and find a skilled surgeon with lots of experience handling ANs.  That will increase your chances for a positive outcome.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »
Katie I completely agree with you. I was depressed after surgery and reading the forums wasn't helping until I realized that a lot of posters had problems and that those who sailed through the surgery just weren't around anymore. Thanks for "staying around" to give hope to the newbies. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006