Author Topic: I DID IT  (Read 6500 times)

webwrestler

I DID IT
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:31:19 pm »
Hi all,

just wanted to let you know i had translab on may 1 and it was completetly successful. i have some facial palsy as the tumor was 'really' attached to the facial nerve but hopefully overtime things will get back to normal. i lost so much hearing prior to surgery i can honestly say i do not notice a difference. yahoo!

As i am an active person and go getter i am finding it very hard having to rest so much. i am healing quick, in fact i flew home (2 hour flight) 10 days after surgery with no complications.

My surgery ended up being 9.5 hours..supposed to be six but my tumor was as stubborn as I am and the docs didn't want to sever my facial nerve. Any advice on the paralysis other then patients..which I am learning quickly I need!

to a better life....

Justin

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: I DID IT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:35:16 pm »
Justin,

Congrats on being a "postie!" (post-treatment!) YAY!!!!  You sound fabulous, I'm sure your baby is thrilled to have you home and don't forget to get your rest! Hoping others will chime in re: the facial palsy and please check the "facial" forum here, as well as the "archives" as there may be related info available in both.

Welcome back and congrats!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:51:58 pm »
Hi Justin:  Wishing you continued healing throughout this time !!!!   You sound great;  the only thing I'd like to mention is make sure you keep your eye lubricated if you are unable to totally close your eyelid - this is VERY important.   I personally use Refresh PM lubricant (the drops aren't strong enough for me) at least 5-6 times a day,  if I'm in a place where I can't put in lubricant, I use Systane eye drops.   Eye drops may be enough for you, you'll know by the burn.  If you don't have feeling yet, just be sure to keep lubricated until you see your doctor.  Again,  all the best my friend, keep a peaceful heart,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kkweiher

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 04:02:16 pm »
 :D :D Congrats Justin- your surgery sounds alot like mine.  After surgery the left side of my face was numb.  I could smile just could n't feel anything.  It has been about 2 months and most of the effects are gone. The left top half of my tongue feels like I've been to the dentist and am waiting for that numbing feeling to go away.  I too am not a very patient person and you will get sick of hearing that phrase, however it is true..... ::)  Good luck with your recovery and don't push yourself to hard.  If you do your body will inform you of it.
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

webwrestler

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:47 pm »
thank you , thank you , thank you..it will be three weeks tomorrow, so i must be patient. my eye closes with a little help to completley close it withy my finger. when i am tired i gets soar but the drops help. the lube at night (sounds funny) helps while i sleep. sleep pattern is off but hopefully will ge back to normal. i looked like shrek the first weeek with the ear stickin  out, but as th swelling goes down the ear is going back.

thanks for the continued feedback, love ya all,

justin

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:07:44 pm »
Wonderful news Justin - I always 'catch my breath' when I read someone has facial issues, so glad yours is temporary.  Well, don't worry, your sleep WILL get back to normal.  Sweet dreams my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:04:14 pm »
Hey, Justin:

Thanks for the update - and welcome to the world of AN 'posties' (post-op AN patients).

Sounds as if your surgery went pretty well.  Congratulations!.  To be perfectly honest, recuperation is boring for almost everyone.  There are always some adjustments to make but time passes - and heals.  I think you'll be O.K. :)

I wish you all the best as you (slowly) return to your former life.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:39:32 pm »
It sounds like our facial nerves are the same.  My tumor was stuck on the facial nerve too, after 9 hours of surgery it still had functioning and the doctor said it would recover by one month.  I put a warm wet washcloth on my whole face twice a day.  I used eye lubricants and rested my eyes at frequent intervals each day.  Too much noise, excitement, or acitivity time made my face and tongue seem worse. My face and eye cleared up by 6-7 weeks post op, except the eyebrow arch.  The eyebrow arching appeared around the third month.  During the facial healing time I had fleeting pains and twitches (indicating healing and nerve connections)

The tongue numbness and taste issues were an annoyance until 7 months.  Today, 18 months, I only notice numbness on the tongue when I eat really fast or crunch up dry things.  My eye waters and nose runs from time to time without provocation , but usually when I've been chewing something.  As far as most people are concerned, no one notices any of my residual issues.

kkweiher

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:18 am »
 ::)I just wish my tongue being numb would make me not want to eat so that I could loose some of the pre-surgery pounds I packed on due to the fact I had become so lathargic.... :P but it has n't affectted me like that.  I 'm so glad to have some energy back :) :) I'm so glad all of our recoveries are different..... Some of the stories you guys have relayed are beyond scary and my heart and prayers go out to you..
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

richh

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 04:36:20 pm »
Congrats,Justin.

Which doctors did your surgery in Toronto.

webwrestler

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 05:25:06 pm »
Dr. Nedzelski and Dr. Rowed, amazing doc's. Wouldn't change anyhthing at all.

Justin

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 10:41:25 pm »
Wonderful news! Now, nap, nap ,nap! Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Shrnwldr

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 08:39:02 am »
Congratulations on your recovery in progress.  I know it will all work out.  My prayers aer with you.  This forum was a godsend before surgery and still keeps me going.  Everyone no matter where you are at in your recovery, while some are quite scary and I admire the courage and strength..... your stories though give me strength.   Thanks to all. WE ALL DESERVE A RAISIN' OF THE GROG WITH A MIGHTY HERE! HERE!
Take care and God Bless you.  I will be looking forward to hearing more about your recovery.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

webwrestler

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 03:47:29 pm »
okay so it was my fourth week after translab this week. still a bit tired but didn't stop me from having a few drinks with some buddies, it kinda felt good. Scar is completley healed but still a bit numb around the area with a bit of swelling. My 'shrek' ear has gone back to looking somewhat normal, maybe 95% normal ( a bit to go)...SSD has not been a problem at all, i had lost so much hearing prior to surgery that I got used to it. (for all newbies this is probably a good thing as you mind and body make the gradual transition rather than immediate, yuk that would suck!)

I am having trouble with the facial palsy..I DONT LIKE IT. I used to smile a lot, now not at all. My surgeons 'guaranteed' me, yes that is right 'guarateed' me that it would subside in time as they did not cut it only pealed the tumor from it..but that I have to be very Patient as it won't happen over night...yah right, Justin have patients..not in this lifetime...(and it's gonna be a long one, now...) I am going for my first physio on my face on Monday, not sure what they will do, I can't move the damn left side.. still lubing the eye, hopefully that subsides one day...I guess it has only been 4 weeks...

I have been walking and going out. Tried driving the other day, not bad, gonna wait one more week till I feel a little more comfortable. My wife had been so supportive, I love her so much.

This has been an interesting 'hiccup' in my life. Before surgery is certainly the hardest, no doubt about that, once it is out of you, I have sort of a calm, relaxed feeling. I am alive, who cares about only hearing out of one ear, I can still hear...Don't forget that anyone.

Life throws us hurdels, you just have to be strong to get over them. I am so happy with my decision, granted I have some facial palsy, but if you have a close family and group of friends and a bit of faith (i am by no mean religious at all) you can get through this debacle and they don't see that.

If you are as lucky as me in having a quick recovery, you need to keep yourself very busy, especially if you are not going back to work right away. Boredom is worse than having the surgery...trust me. I can't believe I actually watch "Oprah"...yuk! I haven't got into the soaps yet ( and that WILL NOT HAPPEN), but Oprah, what have I done to myself. :)

Take care all and we'll keep ya posted..

P.S. anyone experience a 'dry' nose on the AN side...my left nostril is soooooooooooooo dry and chapped...so painful and annoying...is it lacking lube as well...is it the same thing as the tearing?

1wareagle

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 06:55:28 pm »
Justin,

My nostril on the AN side stays dry all the time too. My good side will run but nothing comes out my bad side. I usually keep vaseline inside it to help with the dryness.

Hang in there, I'm almost 5 mts out and still can't move anything. The Dr's tell me to be patient but as you know that's hard to do!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)