Author Topic: ringing in the good ear so many years post op  (Read 3194 times)

Kathleen_Mc

ringing in the good ear so many years post op
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:05:27 am »
I am wondering if anyone else has developed ringing in the non-an ear years after thier surgery. I have had ringing in the operated ear since day one post-op but in the past few months I have noticed a pulsating tinnitus has developed in my good ear. I only hear it when I lay down to sleep and as it happens I sleep lying on the hearing side. It seems to be getting louder but maybe I'm just noticing it more. I am sure this is something new and I'm afraid to talk to my gp about it 'cuase if it's another AN that means..... never mind what it means. Anyone ever have a simple problem cause them tinnitus in the functioning ear?
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jlamborn

Re: ringing in the good ear so many years post op
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:14:22 am »
I, too, developed the strange pulsing tinnitus in my non-AN ear a few months ago.  I had my AN removed in December and was doing very well, but about a month ago, started getting more dizzy again along with the pulsing tinnitus in my good ear, as well as back to being tired all the time.  I went to my gp who started with blood tests.  My thyroid levels came back low and they did some additional tests.  It's hypothyroidism, which can be treated with just a pill everyday for the rest of my life.  Tricky thing is finding the right dosage.  I have been reading up on hypothyroidism, and some of the side effects are exhaustion because the body's metabolism slows down, and tinnitus, which can be pulsing.  I'm two weeks into the medication now, and the dizziness is starting to get better again, along with my energy.  Haven't noticed a change in the tinnitus yet, but they said it takes many weeks go adjust to the medication, which still might be too low.  They will do a blood test every 6 weeks and adjust the dosage if the levels are still too low.  I too was scared since I thought I was relapsing because of my AN, but it turned out to be totally unrelated.  Will keep you posted on whether it helps the tinnitus.
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009