Author Topic: Trans Ear  (Read 22727 times)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Re: Trans Ear
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 08:07:41 pm »
Sandy,

My Audiologist mailed my new wire to me last week. That was the problem. My TransEar is working again.
The fit is very important. When I had the ear mold made, it actually hurt and I flinched because the wire was pushed in so deep.

But other than some irritation for a couple of weeks...no adjustments of the ear piece. Most discomfort subsided after 10 to 14 days. Liberal use of Auragel helped a lot. I didn't need any adjustments.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 09:25:30 pm »
Dan, I trust that you meant the mold material was pushed in deeply?  I doubt you meant the wire was pushed in somewhere deep.  Could you explain?

Dantheman

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 02:46:47 pm »
Boppie,

Sure, there was a wire with foam on the end that was pushed into my ear. Very, very deep. I said ouch when my Audiologist inserted it and then he shoved it in deeper. The mold material was then "caulked" in my ear. The wire was pulled out with my mold attached. He repeated this for the second mold.

I have not had the earpiece buffed or adjusted at all. If I very lightly touch the earpiece while it's in my ear I can feel the end pressing against bone.

Dan

Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 04:17:43 pm »
Oh yes, I remember the mold making kit had a "puller" to bring the caulk out.  Now its clearer to me.  You have been as lucky as me.  I haven't had troubles since the adjustments were finished.  Right now I need to get a longer wire, but no big deal. 

DWSSD

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 09:39:23 pm »
Let me toss a few Questions out for you all:

How many hours a day would you say that you use your TransEar?

What program do you use? #1 or #2 ?

Do you use your TransEar in a noisy environment?

Do you get any directionality from using it?

Thanks,
Dan            (Seems to be a few Dans here)

Jeanlea

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 10:00:31 pm »
How many hours a day would you say that you use your TransEar?  About 14 hours.  From when I get up until I go to bed basically.

What program do you use? #1 or #2 ? I use program 1.

Do you use your TransEar in a noisy environment?  I wear it in whatever environment I'm in except water.

Do you get any directionality from using it?  No, not so far.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 11:33:49 pm »
I use my TransEar for social occasions at home and outside my home.   I use program #1 most of the time.  I have two progam settings and could have more if I wanted them set up.  Yes, I often use my TransEar in noisy environments; also, I sing in a choir with it.  I am not sure of directions with my aid but I feel more relaxed about sound on my shadow side. 

Dantheman

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:42 am »
I wear my TransEar about 14 hrs a day. I wear it everywhere except wet enviroments. I have 4 programs and use them all for the appropriate atmosphere. It doesn't help me much in noisy enviroments.

It does give me some directionality. That took a little time but I see that I am looking right once in a while when I hear something instead of always left.

Dan

matti

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 09:56:54 am »
Dantheman - I didn't know that TransEar came with 4 programs,  mine came with 2 and I was told that was it.  Can you tell me what the other two programs do?

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

okiesandy

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »
Mine only has two. I was wearing mine from about 5:30 am to aournd 10:00 p.m. Mine had to be on 3 1/2 to gain anything. The last one had abosolutly no gain at any level. At 3 1/2 it bibrated so bad you couldnt stand it. As for bushing on into touch the bone. I don't know that mine was even close. If I pusehed on the bottom it was better sound. However, never felt it touch bone.

Still waiting for number what ever. The unit was only sent off for the broken wire on Monday.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Boppie

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 02:53:13 pm »
Matti and Dan,  I am sorry, I took my literature out today and read that my TransEar has 2 programs, no others as I previously stated.

I wanted to make is clear that I only wear my aid part of the day.  I am retired from full time work.  My aid keeps working for as long as I need to wear it.  I take it off at home just to save batteries. 

I do not wear it outdoors in the Texas heat; too much sweat. I can hear the birds just fine with my good ear.  Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:49:48 pm by Boppie »

Jeanlea

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 06:32:49 pm »
My audiologist programmed two programs into my TransEar.  She said she can add two more if I need them.  I think that's where the four programs come from.  I really don't understand what the four programs would be able to do.  Maybe Dan can explain the four programs to us.  I have one program for quiet environments and one for noisy places.  I use the one that makes sounds the loudest.  If I could have it be a little louder without squealing that would be good. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dantheman

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 09:55:01 pm »
Howdy,

The first program are for normal conversation, 90% of your everyday stuff. The second program is for noisy enviroments. Restaurants, parties...etc. The third program is for music. This one seems to be the most sensetive. I use this one for Church because our whole liturgy is sung by the choir and the priest. It works great...but I have to turn the volume down or it vibrates too much. The fourth program is for the TV.

I believe that there are many more programs that can be utilized. I imagine this gives the audiologist a lot of flexability for folks that find some programs too sensetive for them.
My TransEar has room for four.

I use them all. I did find that since I took a week off from wearing my TransEar while I waited for the wire to be replaced, that I can turn the volume up to 3 and sometimes 4 without too much vibration.
This allows me to hear much better. I watched the movie "DeJaVu" tonight and they played "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys on the soundtrack...it was like total stereo, pre deafness. I had the volume up to 4 on the TV program.
I could have listened to that song all night....

Dan

DWSSD

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 10:39:32 pm »
Wow,
I didn't expect so much response!  Four programs? I had no idea. But honestly I'm happy with "plane oh" program #1. My problem is that my ITE unit hurts my ear. I went in for one adjustment ( which helped alittle ), but was told that I'm wearing it too much. Honestly, I haven't worn it anywhere near 14 hours, so I think that's not the problem.
I have a appointment with my audi for tomorrow afternoon, and thanks to you all I'll go in there a much more informed patient.
Thanks again.
Dan

Windsong

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 12:28:56 am »
I've been following various posts about this trans ear and wondered from the first post i saw that mentioned it, why would anyone be sticking with trying it if you have pain in the ear that has that trans ear device once you insert it? just curious....shouldn't a hearing aid of any kind be comfortable as:   how can you determine how great your hearing is if the thing hurts?

I don't mean to upset any one at all who is using this but i do wonder .... but really, shouldn't that thing in your ear be comfortable so you can concentrate on the actual hearing improvement and not checking on whether or not this device feels good ?....

I'd say that anyone who has one that hurts their ear that you should go see about having that taken of. And once it feels fine in there (whether it's sanding it down or something else)  perhaps the true "hearing help" that it gives you will be more clear.......I can't imagine wearing anything that is uncomfortable like some of you have mentioned when there are alternatives of all sorts.....or at least get it fixed so it feels fine first.....