Author Topic: pre surgery diet?  (Read 6387 times)

tomano

pre surgery diet?
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:42:13 pm »
Hi all,
With surgery coming up, I was searching for some ideas about what I should/shouldn't be eating/drinking.
Any of you posties with any advice?
I know it is a dumb question and I'm sure I'll find out more when I meet up with the ent, but I am curious.  I am not talking about the avoidance of blood thinning medications or herbs that may thin the blood, but more specific.
 I'm trying to rest up and drink lots of water. Other than my caffeine and chocolate addiction, I think I'm doing quite well.
thanks, tomas

tony

Re: pre surgery diet?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:54:06 am »
Clearly the asprin/Herb avoidence is sensible
I might suggest you do a bit of light exercise
- not 300 Kgs or more ! - just stuff that will keep you supple
maybe loose, warm ups, stretching etc
 - a short bed lay up may cause certain bits to get sleepy
light stuff - dont overdo it
- you dont want to go in with bad cramp or a strain etc
Good Luck on the Day
Tony

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 02:21:19 pm »
I don't think a pre-surgery diet would have much benefit to the overall outcome of how you will be feeling post surgery.  I do know there is a "jet lag" diet that works wonders days before a long flight and after.  Hydrating is a good thing.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:36:16 pm »
tamano: my diet for the two weeks prior to my first surgery was basically a lot of coffe, boose, chocolate, high fatty foods and all the cigarette's I could smoke.......did it make recovery any more difficult......don't think anything makes any difference when you start making changes to your life style just weeks before a major surgery, except of course for quitting smoking. It is an ideal time to make changes to your life however, this is a life altering experience and focusing on exercise and diet will likely help decrease your pre=-op stress.
Best of recovery, Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:13:45 am »
Kathleen, remind me to try that diet... it's right up my alley! ;)

tomas, other than what tony and all have shared... please discuss with your treating physician any changes you may do prior to surgery so they are aware of what you are doing/taking, etc.

Otherwise, have a martini for me... Belvedere vodka, shaken/not stirred, slightly dirty, extra olives!  Enjoy!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tony

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:50:55 pm »
Sorry Kathleen you will have to help me here...
- you were trying to kill yourself to avoid surgery ? ( a tax fiddle maybe ?)
(I tried it once - they always find out, somehow)
or maybe you thought "its all over I might just as well"
Best regards
Tony

tomano

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »
Thanks all,
I haven't been drinking these last two weeks, though I had already cut way back for the last few months. That is the only real change I've done, but maybe I should have been. I am going out for pizza and beer tonight, woohoo! Well, maybe not the beer yet.
I read something about a vegan diet being the best to aid in recovery for major surgery, but I can't live without cheese. Once again, pizza tonight!
again thanks all. even if it was a silly question, your answers assured me not to worry. And that seems to be the most important thing!

OTO

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:23:31 pm »
Tomano -

I'm pre-surgery too (5 days away).   I'm pretty much trying to eat a well balanced diet (lots of fruit and veggies).  I also stopped drinking about a month ago (trying to shed some of the beer weight).    One thing I'm trying to do increase my intake of vitamin c.   They don't want you to go into the hospital with a cold or the sniffles.   I'm starting to stress out, and that's usually when I get my one annual full blown cold.   So I'm doubling up on OJ and other fruit...  good luck... OTO

Shrnwldr

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:22:59 pm »
OTO,
Airborne for me.  I work in an environment that is people populated.  As a matter of fact sort of putting myself into a sterile bubble I am exposed to people.  I have been drinking one tablet in water every day for the last two weeks.  Last thing I want to hear is that this surgery has been delayed. 

The most the doctors have told me is to quit taking any aspirin and/or ibuprofen.     
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

carmen g

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:39:04 pm »
Tomas and OTO,

I too am having surgery, next week, on the 23rd.  I haven't changed much, but the aspirin and Ibuprophen avoidance is good advice, thanks.  And, I haven't quit drinking.  Tomorrow, I am playing bunco and having some wine, but not too much, as I can get a headache from wine and now I realize I can't take my pain relievers... 

Carmen
Diagnosis received 3-9-07.
1.7 cm, left side
Retro-sigmoid surgery 5-23-07
No complications, recovering well

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »
TonY: Pardon me???? Since when will eating, drinking and smoking kill you when done in excess for only less than two weeks???
Believe me it takes a lot long than that to do the body any long term harm.....and for cource I was in hospital the night before surgery and there was none of that....I was very young and very healthy and still excercising and sleeping right (or at least trying to).
kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

tony

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:11:04 pm »
Sorry to Kathleen no offence meant
"Can you do real harm in 14 days ?" I guess not
...but it might be real fun finding out...
This house is hardly T-total - after all, 140 bottles consumed since Nov(???)
-In my defence - remember I couldnt taste it for 9mths(lost all taste and smell function)
 so I maybe making up for lost time ?
(Or, maybe ANs are stressful ?)
Best Regards
Tony

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 08:14:30 am »
I was in the hospital in teh icu for 6 weeks after my surgery.  I did lose 30 lbs the year before so was working out and that helped me.  I did eat a lot from stress but oh well...working out saved me but i don't know if it will help this close to the surgery.  I guess anything happens.
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

OTO

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
Hello all,
I don't know if the pre-surgery diet made a difference, but the first two meals in ICU, I ate them like a dog.   I was very lucky... no nausea ever.   That first cup of orange juice, bowl of jello and sherbert disappeared.   I was was more coherent, I would have asked for more.    My jaw and tongue hurt, but I've been gobbling three meals a day, plus bringing back cookies and scones to the room at the Seton Guest Ctr.   Today, I'm dreaming of walking to Burger King across the street from St Vincent and eating a whopper, onion rings and a large strawberry shake.... oto

P.S.  On the Memorial Day holiday weekend, God Bless those who are serving our country throughout the world, and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 06:36:50 pm »
Ditto on the Memorial Day Blessing! Thanks Oto- and yeah, I don't have any idea on the pre surgery diet- sorry... Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys