Author Topic: Headaches and a glass of wine  (Read 6867 times)

mema

Headaches and a glass of wine
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:43:54 am »
Curious!  Does alcohol make headaches or any symptoms postradiation treatment worse.  Prior AN diagnosis I'd have a glass of wine before dinner.  With all the news on how it's good for the heart and good for the brain.  Post radiation it seems a glass of wine makes my weird brain movement worse, followed by brutal headaches.  Since I never got a clear cut answer to why I have chronic headaches from the docs when I tell them that I think wine makes my symptoms worse they say "well then just don't have any".  I gave up my glass of wine at dinner, but on a special occasion or a Christmas party I sure would enjoy a glass of wine.  But if its going to effect by brain in a negative way  I won't.  Anyone have this problem and what did docs say?

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Headaches and a glass of wine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:56:15 am »
mema,
  I enjoy a glass of vino with dinner too-- last night was a glass of Pinot Noir from Marborough NZ.  Many ANers have reported that their capacity for alcohol has been reduced, reporting that one glass is now like three used to be, etc.  Alcohol can also add to dehydration.  And I think ANers can be more sensitive to hydration issues, which may bring on a headache.  I doubt that a glass of wine with Dinner would be detrimental to your brain.  But if it affects you in some way that you find unpleasent, you may have to listen to you body.  I found that as time has passed since treatment that the affects of a glass of wine have diminished.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

maarten

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:20:41 am »
I found that alcohol triggers headaches, almost guaranteed. Sometimes it's 1 glass, sometimes it's 3, it's unpredictable what level will trigger it. I've pretty much given up altogether on alcohol - feeling much better because of that in general. See where your own limits are and adjust accordingly.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:40:56 am »
I too suffered from "wine headaches".  I still enjoy a glass now and then.  I have switched to vodka martinis as it doesn't give me the headaches  ;).  Of course, after having one drink (this is it for me) I will pound down the water.  I hydrate with, no less than, 6 glasses before retiring, on top of the usual 8-10 glasses.  Not that I want to promote drinking, but just in case you desire a drink, there is a way to combat the head pain. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:57:59 am »
I'm one of the lucky ones ---  I dont have any headaches ... unless it is self inflected ... wine .. as Arushi said.. water is key to keeping normal hangovers at bay .. I would assume the same for AN headaches..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:16:03 pm »
Any type of alcohol gives me a pulsating tinnitus directly down the center of my head - it's different from & goes on at the same time as my constant tinnitus in the right ear.  Alcohol gives me quite the 'symphony of tinnitus'.  Luckily, no headaches.   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:50:18 pm »
Amongst the other foods mentioned in this article, there is also commentary about wine and headaches (migraines specifically):

http://www.nutrition4health.org/nohanews/NNS02DietMigraineHeadaches.htm

I found the reading interesting as there were some things I had not heard about before....

:)
W.

mema

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:40:52 am »
Arushi,    Aren't you making alot of trips to your bathroom through the night.             
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

mema

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:42:12 am »
Arushi,  last post by mema.  Got to get this computer thing down.   mema
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:11:20 am »
Regarding trips to bathroom due to rehydration.....no, but I do wake up earlier by one hour.  Mind you "if" I drink it usually happens around the "American Coctail Hour", 6 or 7 pm, not the "European Hour" which is 8 or 9 pm.  So, by the time I've finished my drinkypoo it's before eating and I'll begin my water drinking then.  I usually have 4 hours before retiring.  If by chance my drinkypoo happens after dinner then yes, I know I'll be up once during the night.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear