Author Topic: Alarm Clock  (Read 4439 times)

Catflower

Alarm Clock
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:20 am »
What kind of an alarm clock works?  If I'm laying on my hearing ear I can't hear the one I have.  I know when you get into speciality adaptive devices things get very expensive so I though someone here probably had found a pretty simple solution.

Linda in WV

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Alarm Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
For this past Christmas, my husband gave me a Sonic Alert bed shaker alarm clock (model SBD375ss).  When I'm sleeping on my good ear, I didn't hear my baby (at the time he was 4 months old) crying in the basinette right next to me, but this alarm wakes me up every time!  It has a small disk that goes under the sheet (under your pillow) and vibrates when the alarm goes off.  It also has a traditional beeping alarm mode.  Hubby reports that the bed shaking does not disturb him, but he is a sound sleeper and I don't let the thing go for 10 mins.  It has all the other usual alarm clock features (dual alarms, snooze, etc.).

See http://www.sonicalert.com/ for more info.  The alarm I have retails for about $60, but there are some that are less expensive.  I'm thinking of getting myself the travel version so I don't have to depend on hotel alarm clocks.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32:48 am »
Katie:  this couldn't have come at a better time !!  This morning my alarm clock must have been going off for over 20 minutes, I never heard it until I rolled over !!!!   Thanks for the info.  Will look into this.  I wonder if I'll feel the vibration with the pillow I use; I bought a 'temprpedic' pillow recently, my neck & head feel better with it - it's that heavy foam so I wonder if I'll feel the vibration.
Always good thoughts my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Denise

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:37:52 am »
Linda,
I have the same alarm clock as katie.  It works well.  I used to use the Shaker mode, now I can use the alarm mode, don't know why, but I can hear it now.  I must not be sleeping totally on my right side.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:46:19 am »
Nancy -

It's not a mild vibration!  ;-)  I don't think it matters what kind of pillow you use...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:17:22 pm »
Linda,
  I recently heard someone mention that they had an alarm cat who wakes them when the alarm goes off.  They have a stash of cat treats in the bathroom cabinet that the cat gets every morning.  The cat really likes the treats so he/she really wants the person to get up and gently bats at their face until the person gets up.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW