Author Topic: Surgery scheduled at SBI for 6/27  (Read 11492 times)

linnilue

Re: Surgery scheduled at SBI for 6/27
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:23:41 pm »
Wonderful, just wonderful news...let's all give a big "HOORAH" for some good news for once.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
Hi guys! The surgery itself was a snap- 3.5 vs. 16 hours with hourly updates vs. two updates. Everyting - catheter, second IV - was done while I was under anestesia which was not the case the first time. I did not even ask for Morphine. Now, the rsesults:  no facial issues, or very mild ones, barely noticeable, major double vision and balance  problems (all improving daily) and trigeminal issues ( 50% of the face somewhat numb, but not completly)giving me a speech impediment. Dr. Shahinian says everything would be resolved in 6 weeks and I will be back to 100%. I hope he is right.

Thanks for keeping a prayer for me. Congrats to those who had surgery this week.

Eve

PS. Remember, my original tumor was 6x3x3 cm completely compressed and distorted the brainstem.

Great Eve, glad to see you had a good time.  shahinian is quite the professional. Did you meet Ghodsian? He did my DC paperwork and prog notes.
call the Brotman and they will send that stuff all upon request. The writeup on the AN resection is quite detailed and interesting.

3.5 hrs how short! mine was 7. Uopdated my family about everyhr by phone. I hated that dizzyness! (still do)

Post some pix or video if you requested from Shahinian.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:49:10 am by ixta »
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

chopper

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 01:30:38 pm »
The hard part is over!  Everything should work itself out in time... 8)
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

ceeceek

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 08:20:16 pm »
Hey girl...glad all went well..we were waiting to hear from you..I had appt with Dr Spunberg and we are holding off on the CK till late Sept or so....seeing if acupuncture will work in combo with the initial surgery...so glad yours is out of your head.....hang in there with the trigeminal and if it really bugs you try the acupuncture..so far I have had very good luck with it for that issue...
send me an email
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

sahar32

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 04:57:10 pm »
Hey girl...glad all went well..we were waiting to hear from you..I had appt with Dr Spunberg and we are holding off on the CK till late Sept or so....seeing if acupuncture will work in combo with the initial surgery...so glad yours is out of your head.....hang in there with the trigeminal and if it really bugs you try the acupuncture..so far I have had very good luck with it for that issue...
send me an email
Ceecee
I have a grade 4 meninigioma along with AN. I will be having my surgery at SBI on November 7, 2007.

sahar32

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 05:04:06 pm »
Hi,
Please tell me how your surgery went, I am not sure if I have posted  this message before, but if I have I am sorry to do it again. I am having my surgery at SBI in two weeks, and like to get more information on where to stay, and prices. It seems that when I call the staff at SBI I get the feeling that I am bugging them and they are not happy to hear from me. I even told the girl who answers the phone that I feel ignored, once they got their deposit that was it for me, and she said "oh no, here u go talk to Roxy and once I did, she explained that I am not the only one and they have so many more patients and things to do". I totally understand, but I feel like, when I need to get some information, I should be able to call and get what I need, even if their gonna call me back later, fine do that, but give me the answer. I have so many questions, but no answer. Is this normal feeling or is it all in my head coming from the tumor lol...
I have a grade 4 meninigioma along with AN. I will be having my surgery at SBI on November 7, 2007.

jerseygirl

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 07:24:06 pm »
Sahar,

You are not the only one compaining about the staff! I dealt with MAtt and while he was busy, he answered all my questions. He can also tell you how much you will pay based on your insurance coverage. I stayed at Manhattan Beach at Hawthorn Suites. You can walk there and they serve buffet breakfast.

The surgery was very short comparing to the first one 19 years ago. There was never any incison pain or headaches. I am recovering nicely and look forward to compete recovery. You can click on my name and it will show all my posts. You can also go to Post-Treatment and look there. It is my second time, so recovery is painless but not very fast.

Best of luck to you. How big is your tumor and which side is it on?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.