Author Topic: Surgery scheduled at SBI for 6/27  (Read 11523 times)

jerseygirl

Surgery scheduled at SBI for 6/27
« on: April 27, 2007, 01:12:40 pm »
Hello,

I have not been contributing much in April because I had a vacation for the first two weeks (what a great idea it was!) and then was busy with some family issues. I finally scheduled my surgery at SBI that I was planning to have at the end of June. June 27th is the date! My deposit of $11K is due May 14th; all pre-op testing will be done the day before, they don't allow me to use my doctor in NJ.

I am excited and scared at the same time as well as a host of other emotions. I will keep everybody updated as much as possible. I am not aware of anybody on the board who has a recurrence done at SBI or endoscopically anywhere else. So, hopefully, my experience will be useful. It is kind of uncharted teriitory (in terms of operating on a recurrence)  but I feel it is worth the risk. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work out.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ceeceek

Re: Surgery scheduled at SBI for 6/27
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
Hey EVE, congrats on the schedule..if you would like a clue of what to expect feel free to call me..I think my number is on the board, but if not just email me ceeceek2000@yahoo.com and I will give it to you...
WHat did Dr. Fields say anyway? and what type of endo are they going to do at SBI...translab? there is someone here in FL whom had that done endo and I have his email.....
I hope all goes well and this will be the last time you need to deal with it...dont feel left all alone,,,I am the official wierdo of the group..I have a vidian nerve schwanomma...one of I think 6 ever diagnosed in US, plus fibrous tissue..which they really know very little about....could not have just a normal schwanomma or meningioma in a normal spot..nOOooooI had to have a skull base tumor that even now they arent really sure what the heck it is other than hard as heck.....oh well,,,I wanted to take Dr. spunberg out to dinner anyway....lol
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:04:20 am »
Hi, CeeCee,

The most important think for you is that your tumor is benign and you can radiate it  so it does not give you any more trouble. You needed a biopsy, too. Congrats!

Dr. Field called me twice while I was on vacation and left a message saying that he will send me a letter with his recommendations but I did not receive it so far. I would call the office but lost my voice due to laryngitis, so maybe I will do it next week. It is amazing that of all the doctors he guessed right what the tumor was.

To answer your question, as far as I know, they do not do translab endoscopically at SBI, they do retrosigmoid (go in from the back of the head). Translab for me would not be very efficient because my tumor grew downwards away from the facial nerve (thank God!) and now is touching the vagus nerve (not a good thing). In addition, it is nowhere near the ear canal, it is recurring at the brainstem. So, during the translab, they would have to reach further and downwards to get to the tumor while with retrosigmoid, it is right there. This is true whether or not the method is traditional or endoscopic. I presume it is less of an issue with the endoscopic approach.

My previous surgery was suboccipital which is basically a very widened retrosigmoid opening-wise (I do not know how else to put it), so he would have to go through the original opening and the scar tissue there to get inside and that would be the challenge.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

neal r. lyons

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:35:14 pm »
hi jersey girl! sounds as if you have made a committment to the procedure which i think is great! wishing you well! all the best!              neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:42:05 pm »
Hi, Neal,

Thanks for the good wishes. My surgery date is rapidly approaching. I will keep everybody posted. Good luck to you in your search.

Eve

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:31:23 pm »
See, learn something new everyday......there is a guy here in Naples that had same surgery as what you are having...I have his email if you are intersted....nice guy..
Hang in there, I know due to your past experience you must be nervous, but remember technology has come a long way and I am sure you will have better luck this time....
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:19:45 am »
good luck to ya Jersey, tell your family to go shopping on 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica while you are "out", The waiting room at the Brotman Sucks!
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

eugd

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:00:55 am »
good luck Eve, hope this time its rapidly recovery...
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:33:14 pm »
Thanks everybody for good wishes! i really hope everything will go smoothly this time. The insurance gave their approval two days ago and it turns out that they already dealt with SBI so it is not new to them at all. So, I am all set.

Eve

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
JERSEY GIRL WHERE R U? DID YOU WAKE UP????!!!! Sorry, I didnt read the title of your post, your surgery is in 2 days. you probably are in LA now and had the pre op with Shahinian. Fancy but small office! Drop us aline when you can to tell us how it went.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:06:40 pm by ixta »

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:38 am »
Jersey Girl,
I am saying a prayer for you and I hope to hear good news soon.
Take care,
Lynn

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 05:17:53 pm »
Jersey Where Are you! Hope you are sleeping well and not too dizzy.Have a family member type if need.

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:20:45 pm »
Hi guys! The surgery itself was a snap- 3.5 vs. 16 hours with hourly updates vs. two updates. Everyting - catheter, second IV - was done while I was under anestesia which was not the case the first time. I did not even ask for Morphine. Now, the rsesults:  no facial issues, or very mild ones, barely noticeable, major double vision and balance  problems (all improving daily) and trigeminal issues ( 50% of the face somewhat numb, but not completly)giving me a speech impediment. Dr. Shahinian says everything would be resolved in 6 weeks and I will be back to 100%. I hope he is right.

Thanks for keeping a prayer for me. Congrats to those who had surgery this week.

Eve

PS. Remember, my original tumor was 6x3x3 cm completely compressed and distorted the brainstem.

Obita

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »
Way to go Jerseygirl!!!

We have been wondering how everything went at SBI.

Good luck in your recovery, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

eugd

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 08:30:01 pm »
good luck Eve...
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.