Author Topic: 1 yr anniversary  (Read 2917 times)

jacobs

1 yr anniversary
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:33:19 pm »

Hi,today marks my 1 yr anniversay of my surgery.I was so scared!!!!Here I am 1 yr later,healthy and coping with life after AN.Today the sun was shining and nothing could wipe the smile off my face.Just happy to be alive!I wanted to say thanks for the support I received on this forum as well.It was a great source of comfort following my surgery whether I was actively participating in discussions or just reading the posts.
 In the months after surgery I remember riding the subway in this big city of mine feeling self conscious of my "bad side" and searching faces for others who were "different". Now it doesn't even cross my mind,I am who I am,stronger, more tolerant and less concerned with the "small stuff" that clutters our lives. I wanted to mark this day somehow and would like to share with you the email I sent out to my family and friends.It is short but I think conveys what I was feeling.

"Wow,can you believe a year has passed already?  My thoughts have been swirling around my head for the last couple of days remembering what my life was like last year at this time.It's also amazing how  quickly the memories start to fuzz around the edges.I know that my life has changed and I truly am grateful for all of the amazing people I have around me and whose love and support I drew from during my recovery. I rode my bike for the first time today since my surgery, woohoo!When I went outside I had a moments panic and thought "what if I can't ride it?"
 Well I got on my bike and off I went no problem.I think there are so many instances of "what if I can't" in our lives but they are also the times where "yes, I can" make us stronger...
 I just want to say THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!!I am truly the lucky one.
Tracey''

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Palace

• Palace
Re: 1 yr anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:09:01 pm »
Tracey,

That email was a beautiful as a poem; how lovely.  Good for you and the fact that you are so appreciative.  I know what you mean about "sweating small stuff" going out the window.  It has changed my life forever!  My first MRI since CK is next month.  I'm going to try riding my bike this spring, too.  I will think of you.

Hugs,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:48 pm »
Hi Tracey,

So glad to hear that you are doing well! They say, what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger! And I truly believe that. We all have become so strong through this whole experience.  You are so right when you say," what if I can't?" should now be changed to "I know I can". May life continue to Bless you!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »
Hi Tracy & glad to hear about your 'love of life'.  One year ago I didn't even know what an AN is, I'm 2 months behind you, but can definitely relate to what you, Palace & Ann have to say.  Yes, LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, & the gratitude I have just to wake up, hear the birds chirping away (still loud & clear even with 1 ear working), all I have in my life, well  WOOHOO is right  !!!!
Always good thoughts my friend,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:16 pm »
Congrats to you Jacobs!! 

Thanks for sharing.........Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »
jacobs:

Thanks so much for your very positive post marking the 1-year 'anniversary' of your surgery.  The e-mail message you sent out was excellent, too.  I really admire your attitude. I'm amazed that my own one-year AN surgery 'anniversary' is only about 6 weeks away.  How did that happen?  ;) 

I think we're all lucky in some respects, and, like you, I'm very thankful for all the support I received before and after my surgery from my loving wife, my adult son, many friends and the great folks who post on these forums.  I can remember lying in bed in the ICU in the days following my surgery, feeling like I was in a bad dream (I hadn't been hospitalized since I was 8 years old).  One way I was able to cope was by thinking "a year from now, this will be ancient history and I'll be back to living normally again".  Well, a year has almost passed and here I am, living normally again.  Sure enough, that time I spent in the ICU does seem very distant, today.  That's why I like to say: Time Heals...because its true.

Congratulations Tracey on your 1-year surgery anniversary and your fine recovery. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.