Author Topic: Breathing problems  (Read 7531 times)

1wareagle

Breathing problems
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:37 am »
Hi All,

Since my surgery 3 months ago I have been having a hard time breathing out of the good side of my nose. Every evening my nose stops up and the only way to get any sleep is to us Afrin nose spray. Before my surgery I never used anything like that unless I caught a bad cold which was maybe 2 times a yr. I want to call my doctor about this but I feel like I have worried him enough.  Any help with this  problem would be appreciated!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Breathing problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:30:03 am »
Ellis,
  My nose was fairly stopped up for a few weeks post surgery.  And some post treatments AN patients have the odd symptom that their nose of the AN side runs when eating, along with eye tearing on the AN side, probably due to facial nerve trauma and a few crossed connections as the facial nerve healed. 
  t three months of nasal congestion sounds like a long time to me.  I'd suggest checking with your doctors to make sure they feel it's unrelated to the AN surgery.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:24:57 pm »
Ellis, you should ask about the continued use of the Afrin anyway.  You doctor needs to know this.  By the way, my nose was very sore, stuffy and runny for months following the surgery.  Now it runs sporadicly and when I eat chewy things.  But my AN eye never cries. This is part of the new me by now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:13:41 pm by Boppie »

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:15:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply Rob and Boppie. I have heard about others having runny nosies when they eat but this is every evening around 7:00pm I totally stop up on the good side. The AN side never runs anymore since my surgery. I caught a small head cold while I was in the hospital after my surgery and the Dr. told me to use a noise spray till it got better. Well I have had to use it every night since I come home just to get some sleep. You would think that after 3 months it would be better by now. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem before I call the Dr. back. I"ll give it a couple of more days before I call if no one else replies.

Thanks, Ellis
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:50:47 pm »
Hi Ellis:  similar problem but on the AN side due to collapsed sinus from the paralysis.  I use the Breath Right strips every night & they really do work !!!!     Nancy

ps.  I wish I could wear them at work, but they do look funny......
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:46:26 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:51 pm »
Hey Ellis, I agree with Nancy.  I think it has something to do with the facial paralysis.  Does it make a difference which side you sleep on?  My husband gets congested at night and it matters which side of his head that he lays on the pillow.  I notice that I don't breathe as well through my paralyzed side. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

1wareagle

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:58:54 pm »
Nancy thanks for the tip on Breath Right strips. My wife has some small size strips and I will try them tonight and if they look like they will work I'm going tomorrow and get size large. Jean it seems that I stop up more on the good side. You would think it would be on my AN side. If Nancy's tip does not work, I've got to call the doctor. I"m afraid I have gotten addicted to Afrin and that's not good, but I can't sleep without it.

Ellis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:33:31 am »
Goodmorning Ellis:   Well, I hope the strips helped you like they help me every night !!!   It's funny, I tried Afrin once, a long, long time ago - stuffed me up more !!
                            Take care,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:20:31 am »
Morning Nancy,

I had a terrible night sleep. My wife used the last Breath Strip when she went to bed. I made up my mind that I was going to stop with the nose spray. I was stopped up all night in only the good side of my nose. Something has got to give. I'm getting some Beath Strips tonight for sure before I call the Doctor.

Have a great day,
Ellis

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:08:40 am »
Hey Ellis,

Years ago my daughter used prescription nose spray for her sinus and found she had rebound affect so bit the bullet and stopped using it.  For sinus/nasal congestion after my surgery and to this day, I use a salt water rinse.  Seems to help and the salt water aids in keeping infection to a minimum.  Some people use a netti pot, I use a rubber bulb syringe.  The first time use is the hardest.   It takes a few trys in finding the right position of your head while leaning over the sink with your head tilted as too much of a backwards tilt can have the salt water running down the back of your throat instead of out the opposite nostril.  Cocking your head just right will get you the results your looking for.  I rinsed twice a day, morning and evening.  Now once a week for maintenance.  Hope this helps.  If you're brave enough to try the solution mix is:  one cup filtered water to 1/4 teaspoon salt.  You can add a pinch of baking soda if you find the salt water burns too much, which first time use you'll experience this and with continued use this will go away.  I use the word "brave" as most people give up after the first time unwilling to figure out how to hold the head and most can't get past the burning sensation. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

1wareagle

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:32:28 am »
Thanks Karen,

I purchase a Saline Nasal Mist. Is this the same as you were talking about. I'm ready to try anything for relieve. I figured I had been on the Afrin too long but couldn't sleep without it. With only half of my nose that run now I didn't know if this was common or not. Everyday I learning new ways to deal with my facial problems.

Ellis

er

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 01:37:14 am »

Like Nancyann, I myself have the same problem from the facial paralysis but my nose doesn't run it is almost always dry. But I think because of the dryness I get the dry tickles and I go through coughing spells. Afrin just makes it worse for me and I sleep better elevated
eve