Author Topic: cognitive issues after translab  (Read 6286 times)

bafisher

cognitive issues after translab
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:15:25 am »
Huh?  I first wrote what is below as a reply but I thin I want to start a new thread.  Bear with me.....I'm new to online forums!!!

I am considering this approach and am concerned with the cognitive issues.  My job is very cognitive in nature ( I am an electircal designer/engineer and I do CAD drafting and basically work with my brain rather than my brawn).  I'm wondering how long before I can return to work and function properly.

My bosses and co-workers are very understanding as I'm the queen of "weird" medical issues and they have always been extremely supportive!!!  They now understand why I'm always saying.......Is that my phone ringing?  or Huh?, Pardon, I'm sorry, What?........etc., and don't look at me weird when I ask them to stand or sit on my "good" side!!!

Will educating everyone be enough or will I not be able to do my job?

Thanks to all you forum folks.  This place is extremely helpful to me.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: cognitive issues after translab
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:38:15 am »
Hi there:  I went back to work 2 months post op, 1st 2 weeks part time.   At first I couldn't keep up the pace as before, my job is dealing with insurance cos., alot of talking on the phone, computer stuff, arguing patients' cases.   I told my boss after the 1st week that I didn't think I could do this - like your work group everyone was great, no one expected me to get right back into the swing.    You may be a little slower at first, find yourself exhaursted at the end of the day, but after a time I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.
All the best,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:22:19 pm »
I had no cognitive issues after translab,  back at work in my medical office in 2 1/2 weeks.   However, 2 years later developed annoying tinnitus and taste disturbance.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:12:01 pm »
I work as a Paralegal and have to draft complicated legal memorandum.  I had cognitive issues after surgery, but they were related more to short term memory....if I'd done something before surgery, I knew how to do it after with no problem, just a little slower and I had some difficulty multi-tasking.  10 months later it's much better and I have to say part of the problem is the all of a sudden "losing" things in my brain making my confidence suffer...I started to question myself and have self-doubt of my abilities.  You will be able to work just fine, you may just need a little more time than you usually take to complete tasks to doublecheck yourself. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:09:43 am »

Sounds about right ... I'm a computer programmer .. and have been for a long time ..if you can do your job well now .. you should not have any proiblems after -- but , I do have touble with new train schedules and phone numbers etc...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Rick Everingham

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:27 am »
I had cognitive issues after surgery, memory loss was a real issue.  Still have some issues, especially with typing, usually the wrong word.  I also fight tinnitus and taste/swallowing issues.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

matti

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:01:10 pm »
I had middle fossa and noticed cognitive issues almost immediately. At first I thought I had a stroke, but an MRI confirmed a "no". It has been almost 9 years since surgery and while some of the issues have improved, I still notice I have to work hard at most tasks. I formulate intelligent thoughts, but when I speak, my words are often mixed up. When I write, my brain and my hand are out of sync. I sit here and type away and then re-read and find my words to be transposed.  It all seems to be worse when I am tired.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:40:20 pm »
I returned to work as an RN 3 months post-op, looking back I likely should have not 'cuase I wasn't too swift, but I worked mostly nights and my peers helped me a lot (I didn't give out pills for some time and actually until they felt I was In my right mind).
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 12:22:39 am »
I felt dumb as a doornail after my retrosigmoid endoscopy.

When you lose your whole nerve (hearing).
It's as if half of your head has been sawed off.

takes an adjustment. I'm going on 7 mos post op and am not quite 100%. 8)
Went to a concert though with Bjork and Manu Chao and did ok with one ear, I enjoyed myself at the show.

Have to go to dreaded Josh Groban show with the wife though soon 8(
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Lisa Peele

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:27:10 am »
I had translab for a 4+ cm tumor in June '04, and had no cognitive issues following surgery.  Email me or send a personal message if you'd like more information on my experience, or just view my profile on the forum :).
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

OTO

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:25:06 pm »
bafisher -

I'm a project manager for an engineering organization; although, I'm not on the PC doing CADD anymore, so this might not relate exactly to what you're asking.   Some days are fuzzy due to stress and noise and stuff.   I take a little more breaks during the day now (2 month post-op & 2 weeks back at work).   By the end of the day, I'm a little more tired (especially the eyes) and the strain of the noise in a large open office.  At meetings, I haven't found any problems in processing info or coming up with things to say (although, because of some facial numbness, I find my mouth getting tired if I have to talk too much).   I find I double check everything a little more now, just to be sure.

Another guy downstairs had AN surgery about 6 years ago.  He is a plan reviewer.    He's into the plans and specs and code references everyday.  He's still as ornery as ever... no change in skills or personality.   He has had to make adjustment due to the SSD though.    Hopefully, whatever treatment you choose will be the right one for you....   I won't make any EE jokes...