Author Topic: Convulsive coughing from tickle in my throat off and on since sugery last year  (Read 16459 times)

amymeri

Ever since my surgery I have had trouble with a tickle in my throat that causes convulsive coughing until I almost throw up.  The cough is so bad it brings tears to my eyes and afterwards my voice doesn't work for awhile. 
Sometimes drinking helps.

It has been happening more often lately.  Does anyone else experience this or have any idea what might be going on?

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

goinbatty

I have no idea if this may apply, but I have a similar reaction from occasional severe reflux.  Just a thought.  Hope it improves.
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

amymeri

Ahhh, that could be it.  I don't have heartburn or reflux that I KNOW of but after surgery last year the steroids did a number on my system and I had terrible reflux with waterbrash even without the typical "pain"..I think the cough is worse if I drink coffee or soda and that would also fit in with the reflux idea!

I am going to try a diet modification and maybe some nexxium.

Thanks for the idea!

Any other ideas from anyone else?

Thanks!
Amy

goinbatty

Funny you should say that.  When this happens to me, it is usually because I've eaten too much or too late.  Within minutes after lying down, the waterbrash kicks in and ocassionally that severe coughing and gagging.  Sometimes when I take a med, I can actually feel the reflux kick it right back up my throat.  But every once and awhile, it just happens for no reason at all at any given time of day.  Guess I'm just strange.  I usually have to sit up for about 20 minutes and it will eventually go away.  Thank goodness, it doesn't happen often.  Also, I can't take any of the Rx meds for reflux because it has the potential to affect my Dilantin level.  Guess we just have to walk a fine line and in general with all of this, keep a sense of humor about it all if possible.  Good luck. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Battyp

amy I have the same problem and it was determined that part of it was from reflux I didn't know I had and the other part was from a medication they had put me on after my surgery.  I did a therapy dose of aciphex and stopped the other meds and it has cleared up a lot.  It is not completely gone which is due to the numbness i have in my throat and tongue since surgery but it is bearable. 

I was told to stay off soda, caffiene and spicy foods and notice if I cheat it flares up. 
I keep tums in my purse and will take an aciphex before a spicy or greasy meal to help keep it under control.  I have give up on all soda drinks as the burn is just not worth it.  soda really aggravates my throat and then makes the cough/tickle worse and speaking very difficult.  I refuse to give p chocolate but only eat it sparingly and with a drink.  I also keep water with me at all times, throat lozenges and will sometimes use peppermint if in desperate need with is a no no too.

Battyp

oh and you should elevate the head of your bed slightly which will help you at night.  :)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Hi Amy:  The EXACT same thing happens to me - no rhyme or reason, & then I feel like I can't catch my breath, voice change, yes;
Thank God it doesn't happen on a daily basis !!!   I noticed it happening more when I was eating yogurt covered raisins - don't know what ingrediant could cause the irritation.   I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this though.   Thank-you Amy !    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kat

Hi everyone

I was surprised to read the previous letters since I have recently had problems with reflux and coughing ! I do have a hiatus hernia
which was diagnosed years ago which has not given me too much trouble over the years so I thought that the recent persistant indigestion and reflux was related to it allthough it felt quite different . Since my diagnosis and GK I have had bouts of persistant tickly cough which at times has lasted for weeks and at the same time I have also had some reflux as well as indigestion . I had not even thought that my AN might be responsible in any way !  At the moment I am going through a good patch since I have been watching my diet avoiding triggers like spicy food and fizzy drinks . However I have not given up little treats like chocolate and a couple of classes of wine .These I consider essential to my wellbeing and just keep the indigestion tabs handy wherever I go ! I will be watching this space with intrest to see if there are many others who have experienced the same symptoms .

Regards Kat 
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

amymeri

Hi Everyone

Well I feel better already to know I am not alone  :-*.  Previous to this I never had reflux or cough at all...like I said before I had it from the steroids after surgery but thought it had mostly resolved. I also thought that perhaps my vagal nerve was irritated from the surgery (or damaged) and that might contribute.

Since I have never really had the pain of reflux I didn't connect the dots.

However, a couple things might be contributing...

Easter Vacation--> Lots of chocolate, soda and junk

Coffee--> stopped using Simply Smooth Decaf and am using a regular decaf AND having a couple cups a day.  More acid, I think.

--> Soda daily...

Today, I didn't have any coffee or soda and guess what?  NO EPISODES so far!  I am thinking it must be diet related. 

My strategy is going to be some OTC Pepcid or Zantac or Tums, no coffee and soda for awhile and then gradually add back and see if there is a correlation.

Thanks so much for all the support!

Amy
Amy

nancyann

• carpe diem
Hey Amy:  My 'coughing bouts' aren't related to acid reflux, I don't drink sodas or coffee.    I have been eating chocolate lately (though I don't know why since I can't taste it, other than my body needed a sugar rush),  yet I get the bouts.    Thank goodness they're not that frequent, huh?  Oh, I had some real spicy 'jerk chicken' for lunch today,  not a cough afterwards.   Thinking about it Amy, I don't think for me there is much of a rhyme or reason other than a little saliva goes down the wrong pipe & all heck breaks loose, even though most of the time I feel like I don't have enough saliva available!  .....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:51:14 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

Amymeri: After my surgery this happened quite a bit but 10 months out I occasionally still have dry mouth on my left side and when eating I will start coughing and lose my voice for a few minutes.  I believe in my case this is due to not enough saliva helping the food go down. I hope it gets better for you!

p.s. It does take me a lot longer to eat a meal plus my lips stay dry so I use chap stick and drink fluids thru out the day.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

er

Hi amy
That's weird I just thought it was I having this problem. I go through coughing spells and sometimes like you I start throwing up. I still sleep elvated because of this reason it seems to help but I also have had the acid reflects bad at night an sleeping elavated helps.
er

amymeri

For the past 4-5 days I have not had any coffee.  None.  I had tea instead.  And, although I had some small amount of coughing, it was NEVER the coughing fits and lost breath, lost voice, might gag kinda coughing.

Had coffee this morning and guess what......

>:( No coffee ever? 

I am going to have tea tomorrow and see if it helps again....and then try some prilosec.

:'(I love my morning coffee!

Amy
Amy