Author Topic: Headache or Viral Infection?  (Read 4937 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Headache or Viral Infection?
« on: April 15, 2007, 03:09:17 pm »
Just a thought hmmmmmm..... has any ANers with chronic headaches ever been tested while in hospital after surgery for viral infection such as herpes or shingles?  I had relentless headaches after surgery for months with a very slow tapering off and now down to 2/month with a duration of 2-3 days.  Before surgery my husband was under alot of stress with my diagnosis, his ailing father, his mother going in for a procedure to her heart, my father in hospital unexpectedly for recurring gallstone, my mother having breast cancer surgery, his kidney stone attack days before my surgery and finally ME!  Wheeeeee what a year for him and me.  Anyway, with this stress in his life he broke out with a shingles attack and after reading the ANA Newsletter the "viral infection" thing was brought up as a possible cause to headaches.  Was never asked by my doctors before, during or after my stay about herpes (have herpes 1) nor was information on viruses brought up.  Just wondering here. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Headache or Viral Infection?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:33:26 am »
When I went in for surgery at House, they took a complete, and I mean complete, medical history from me and I'm sure that the herpes and shingles (herpes zoster) thing was on it. I've had two nasty outbreaks of shingles in my life, at 27 and 45,  and I've had relentless post-op headaches. No post-op anti viral meds that I know of.  Hmmmm........

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

SusanT

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:53:41 pm »
Just searching on this site.  I had Gamma Kinife in June for my AN. I was diagnosed last week with Bell's Palsey. Same side as the AN. I also have severe headaches proir to and after GK. The Bell's is also caused by a viral infection. I'm not even going to start with the stress leading up to my diagnosis. I would like to know if anyone else has experiened Bell's post GK or in combo with their AN.
Susan

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:38:58 pm »
Susan,
I  developed Bell's after my AN surgery.  I had a translab.  I also have the headaches and although no shingles yet, knock on wood, I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  Or this AN thing.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

vcschaub

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:33:36 pm »
The virus that causes Bell's Palsy develops in the internal auditory canal which is where most ANs are located. The anti viral medication given prior to surgery is an attempt to prevent infection in that area. I don't believe it is a coincidence that one can develop Bell's Palsy after AN surgery, since both occur in the same place.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

SusanT

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:48:58 pm »
Brendalu,
How long did it take you to feel better after the Bell's. I am on my second week and still having a great deal of fatigue. My facial muscles are returning a little. At this point, I  just need some energy. I have been on steroids for over a week and tomorrow will be my last dose. The steroids usually give me a little pep, but not this time.
SusanT  ;)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:53:38 am »
I had a shingles attack about 4 or 5  weeks out... with everything else going on I couldn't
say whether it was any worse than other outbreaks I have had in past..was treated
with a round of  acyclovir that speeded up the clearing of blisters but still have a
patch on hip that is either painfull or numb ...sometimes both in the same day...I
already have a place on the side of my knee that is numb due to an outbreak several
years ago and I can scratch the top of my right foot and I feel it up my leg about
half way between my ankle and knee  :o ...all this classed as postherpetic neuralgia... and
some may be due to lupus complications...

I feel like a cocktail of symtoms with too many things going on to be sure what
has cause what symptom ...one thing that strikes me is that my shingles always break out on
my right side and the neuralgia patches and AN are all right sided

I was on prednisone for lupus realted things right up until a week before surgery... sometimes I
have been given pred with the acyclovir

I think I had a point but have lost it along the way... foggy brain day which is what I came to ask
about but have sat here cruising and reading for an hour  ... I am easily distracted  :)

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lil_lyd

Headache or Viral Infection?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:39 am »
Hi, I had surgery 2/21/07 - Doctor Cuevas - San Diego and I'm new to the Forum.
I was wondering if any body has had a cold or flu after surgery. I had a really bad flu last week (actually it lasted for two weeks) I had no problems other than the regular flu symptoms during the two weeks I was sick but I'm over it now and is now that I feel tired, body pain, dizzi and my legs feel weak. I have no flu symptoms and that's how I feel now. Has any one had these symptoms before?
Thanks for you input. Will be praying for you all .. God Bless.
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.