Author Topic: Suboccipital approach  (Read 5185 times)

vap119

Suboccipital approach
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:30:02 pm »
HI,
We went to Johns Hopkins today & it was recommended that my husband have surgery using the suboccipital approach for his 3.1 cm AN.  Has anyone had that procedure done there?  Also, I was wondering what you all think about getting another neurotologist's opinion from the same facility?  We went to see  Dr. Holliday, but I've also read of a couple of other doctors recommended on this website.   Our ENT referred him to UVA to Dr. Hashisaki & we have that appt. next Friday.  Any info on them would also be very helpful.  Thanks so much!

staypoz

Re: Suboccipital approach
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:35 pm »
Hello.  I had my surgery at Hopkins using the suboccipital approach.  My neurootologist was Howard Francis, whom I would highly recommend.  I had a CSF leak post-op from my ear, and he also repaired that. 

staypoz

littlejep

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:08:20 am »
I had the suboccipital craniectomy done on my right ear in January 2005 by Drs. Lloyd Minor and Rafael Tamargo. They removed all of the tumor (I am into my third year of post-op followup) with only minor side-effects, (in my case): doublevision (now gone) and certain taste loss (getting better little by little, but not 100% yet - I love to eat!). I am deaf in my right ear due to the removal (I knew this fact going into the surgery) and my balance was regained with vestibular physical therapy in Harrisburg, PA. for about 8 weeks. I was in the hospital for 4 days and was back to work after 8 weeks. I still get occasional headaches, eye soreness and numbness on the right-side of my head (where the incision was made). Dr. Tamargo requires me to visit for 5 followups with an annual MRI each time to affirm recovery. I have 2 daily exercises to perform (given by my therapist) to maintain my balance gains and 1 extra practice to strengthen my neck muscles as needed (when I feel stiffness or cramping there). I was told my tumor was about medium sized (the size of a thumbnail). My temporary vision problem was rectified with the assistance of Dr.Miller and his staff in the Wilmer Eye Institue (at John Hopkins). I wear glasses, and I was fitted (after some eye testing) with some temporary prisms that were taped onto my eyeglasses, which allowed me to see straight and even drive a car after only 2-3 weeks after I came home. A few weeks later, I took the prisms off.  Good luck!                Frank

neal r. lyons

sub-occipital surgery june 1st, 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »
hello out there! i'm neal, age 60, and have scheduled sub-op at the univ. of wash. medical center(seattle,wa.) next fri.-7:15 am the neurosurgeon is Dr. Robert Rostomily and the Otolaryngologist will be Dr. Larry Duckert my tumor is 2.6x2.0x2.8  i know they have worked together and performed hundreds of tumor surgeries  however, my education on this subject is new and continuous the acoustic neuroma guidebook ref(medifocus.com)refers to a study done by harvard med school that "practice makes perfect" does not necessarily apply to all physicians and should not be the sole criteria in making the choice(page 100)my attitude is that i need to get specific info about the doctors so that my level of confidence is comfortable  i simply should have asked for such info upon the 1st and only meeting but was timid in so doing at any rate i'm still looking into this matter
     if you know or know of someone that could shed some light please let me know  it's Sunday and i'll be consulting with a nerosurgeon on tues as part of pre-op i'll certainly ask about this info and how to get it  i know ishould just ask the doctors and will if possible   neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

neal r. lyons

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:28:15 pm »
hello brucifer!  ya i've decided to take a step back and research all options i'm still figuring out a batttle plan, but i'm not going to take any action without more thorough investigation i may not be on a computer for a few days but will update my activities when as they develop  bye for now, neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist