Author Topic: Johns Hopkins info  (Read 4025 times)

vap119

Johns Hopkins info
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,
My husband has an appointment with Dr. Holliday at Johns Hopkins tomorrow for a consult.  This will be our first consult.  I was wondering if anyone has had any of their procedures done by Dr. Holliday?  I haven't heard much about Johns Hopkins in terms of people who were treated there for AN.  My husbands AN is 3.1 cm, so it is pretty large. I'd like to find someone really experienced with these larger ANs.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Vanessa

littlejep

Re: Johns Hopkins info
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:59:21 pm »
Hi Vanessa,

I am not familiar with Dr. Holliday, though I'm sure he is very competent. To be at John Hopkins is the BEST place to have the AN removed. I had a benign tumor, the size of a thumbnail, removed in January 2005. I was taken  care of by Dr. Rafael Tamargo (neurosurgeon) and Dr. Lloyd Minor (who removed the tumor). You can look up their credentials through the John Hopkins website, as well as any doctor's background. i go down to HJH about once a year now to see Dr.Tamargo for followup,
he likes to see his patients for 5 years afterwards, this will be my third visit. I was quite fortunate to come out of the surgery with only minor side-affects, which have gradually subsided to barely nothing. However, my side-affects were somewhat different than what I was warned about. I had doublevision (for a few weeks) and affected tastebuds (which has improved greatly, but not quite 100% yet). Everyone is different with post-op. I am permanently deaf in my right ear, but there are known cases of patients regaining their hearing through nerve regeneration (so I'm told). There are also various aids offered to regain some semblance of normal hearing (but that will be discussed later by your doctor(s)). I wish your husband well and for great success!

Frank

Monica

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »
Hi Vanessa,
Dr. Holliday removed my AN (2.5cm) 3 years ago. My Neurosurgeon was Dr. Alessandro Olivi.  An excellent team and one of the top hospitals in the country.  I had the retrosigmoid procedure done on a Friday and went home on Monday, though they say patients can be in the hospital anywhere from 4 to 10 days. Like Frank I have a follow-up MRI and visit with Dr. Holliday each year, for five years.  Dr. Holliday has been very pleased that there hasn't been any sign of regrowth and that all was looking good.

I'd be glad to talk to you or your husband if you'd like. My contact info should tell you how.

Keep thinking good thoughts -
Monica

OTO

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:43:10 pm »
vap119

There is a msg string on the forum about John Hopkins - Look under physicians.    My neurologist here in Hawaii had good things to say about John Hopkins and some other places on the East Coast, others on the forum can give you specifics.... 

chopper

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:05:38 am »
I was supposed to go in and get work done by him and another doc who's name escapes me, but I opted to go for the endoscopic approach instead.  Impressed with the docs yes, not with JH's admin folks though.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.