Author Topic: Boston Doctors  (Read 3232 times)

jimmy r

Boston Doctors
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
I have been approved by my insurance company to see Dr Dennis Poe or Dr Michael Mekena at Mass Eye and Ear. I was scheduled for 4/10 with Dr Brackmann but was denied at the last minute by my HMO. Does anybody have any experience with either of these doctors? Can I go online to see their track record or do I just ask them to provide me with statistics?
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Boston Doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »
Oh, jimmy.. there is a good size Boston contingency here (myself included) and McKenna and Barker at MGH are some of the best (as well as Peter Black at Brigham Womans).  Please go to the "Physician" forum here.  Here is a good link from that forum that may be of help:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2749.0

... and I know many here will post on this thread with their experiences.

suggestion... if you go to the "AN Community" forum here, we are having a brunch on April 29 in Worcester at Maxwell's.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2914.45

there will be many there that actually had their surgeries at MGH with Barker/McKenna and you will see firsthand how wonderful they are doing... some had surgeries a few years back, some recent as last year. I hope you consider joining us.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:07:36 pm »
*waves to Phyl*

Hi, Jimmy!  I'm one of the Boston area contingency Phyl refers to.  I met Dr. McKenna in July 2005 shortly after my diagnosis (that's where I was referred when the local ENT oringally found the AN).  He also did my surgery (along with the neurosurgeon Dr. Barker) last fall.  I've been very impressed with McKenna.  He's a neuro-ENT, and is willing to evaluate each patient individually to recommend treatment (watch-and-wait, radiosurgery, or traditional surgery) appropriate for them.  Last I knew, he was following several hundred AN patients just in watch-and-wait status and does AN surgery 1-2x/week.  Very, very experienced.  I was on the brink of sending my MRIs to House when I met McKenna, and never bothered following through with House.  You'd be in great hands with him.

I've heard of Dr. Poe (all good things), but haven't met him and so can't say much.  I think he's strictly a neurosurgeon (as opposed to a neuro-ENT), but I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time!   ;)

If you're interested in pursuing radiosurgery, there are several excellent facilities in Boston/New England.  McKenna only works with the radiation team at MGH and they have access to just some of the technologies.  There are also radiation oncologists very experienced with ANs at Beth Israel, Brigham&Women's, and there's always Dr. Noren in Providence, RI.  (Did I miss anyone?)

Please consider joining us for brunch in a few weeks, as Phyl suggested.  I went to my first one a few months before my surgery and it made me so much more comfortable with my treatment decisions.  It was wonderful to meet all these people who had made it through to the other side.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:04:37 am »
Thanks for the information. I was scheduled for surgery in about an hour so it is feeling quite strange for me right now. i will be meeting with Dr Mekena on Monday. I will try to attend the brunch.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.