Author Topic: Pre OP tests before GK  (Read 3749 times)

tatianne

Pre OP tests before GK
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:25:35 am »
I was just wondering if like with microsurgery, with GK do the doctors order any kind of pre op tests ?? I hate tests in general and im just curious.
Tks
Tatianne
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Pre OP tests before GK
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:39:38 am »
hi tatianne,

I can only speak in the CK sense (hoping someone here will chime in re: GK)... pre tests for me were MRI, hearing test and CT Scan (no labs/bloodwork were needed).

Hang in there! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:43:38 pm »
Hi, This is Linda I had Gammma knife in feb 05. Other then the mri they did in the begining there was no test. They give you meds to relax you. LIke a I dont give a care.. but that was it.if you want anymore info you can write me..email
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

kat

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:34 am »
HI Tatianne

Before my GK I only filled in a questionaire about any pre existing medical conditions  had a hearing test and MRI scan .

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Walter M

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:01:16 pm »
In my case, I was treated in Holland (I'm dutch), I received a
- MRI
- Hearing test
- CT
- Questionaire about my medical condition
- Temperature, Bloodpresure, oxigen in my blood.
- Eleborate assesment of my nerve functioning (Knees, feet, eyes, mouth, facial, etc)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 05:12:49 pm »
Hey There Tatianne:

When it looked like I was doing surgery, I had a balance test done that really out of all the procedures I have ever had done by far was the most uncomfortable. Balance test involved me earing uncomfortable scuba like mask and keeping my eyes open for 2 minute intervals while following red dots across the screen.. Then to test my vestibular reaction in both ears ( I'm assuming this now so take this with a grain of salt), Water was squirted 2 separate times at different temperatures (warm, room temperature)  and during this I needed to keep my eyes open- very difficult to do. Then we had to do the same procedures for the right ear. As the tester was seeing reaction, I was saved having to do a third round of ice water in both ears. UGH! Turns out I had good balance and that the right side was compensating for the left side. As awkward as it was, it did prove that I had good balance, thus when I opted for CK treatment- there was no question about balance.

For the CK procedure, I had a CT Scan done with a potential MRI- however they ended up not doing a second MRI ( I was diagnosed in December where MRI showed AN and treated in February).

I hope you find this helpful.  Take care, good luck! Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys