Author Topic: Docs in NC  (Read 3367 times)

amoore9334

Docs in NC
« on: August 15, 2005, 07:15:19 am »
Hello - my husband was diagnosed with a 2.7 AN on 7/11/05.  Met with ENT (Dr. Maxwell) last week who recommended retrosigmoid surgery.  Am meeting with neurosurgeon in W-S, NC (Dr. Bell) on 9/12.  Liked Dr. Maxwell a lot, have heard good things about Dr. Bell.  Any other suggestions for the NC area?  We are close to NC Baptist Hospital as well as the Raleigh/Durham (Duke) area and Charlotte.  Overwhelmed to say the least and hoping for a good outcome.

becknell

Re: Docs in NC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:23:52 am »
Send me an e-mail and I will be glad to share what I know. My husband is having surgery Aug. 22 at Duke University for his AN. My e-mail is jbecknell@heraldonline.com. We live in South Carolina. Jennifer

amoore9334

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:15:03 am »
Hi - my husband has decided on a team from Raleigh NC.  Drs. Cunningham, McElveen & Fukushima.  Cunningham & McElveen both did fellowships at House and Fukushima is highly regarded in his field.  The clincher for us was that Drs. Cunningham & McElveen did nine AN surgeries in August 2005 alone.  We were impressed with their experience as well as the time they both spent with us - very caring and very clear - we didn't feel rushed or that there were any "dumb" questions.  Drs. Cunningham & McElveen's practice name is Carolina Hearing & Ear - website will give you all the info you need!

russ

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:44:46 pm »
Hi
  Someone elsewhere on this complicated web site reported a positive outcome of surgical removal of a 3.5 cm AN at Duke. It was a retro sigmoid. You might find it if you look around in the 'general discussion' area.
  Best wishes!
  Russ

amoore9334

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 09:21:58 am »
Thank you Russ!  Believe it or not, I've found a couple of folks - one on this forum and one from the Durham NC support group who had the same team of surgeons.  Good outcomes.  Great things to say about the doctors.

This website and in particular this forum has been a Godsend to me!  Such a supportive and wonderful group!

LaMar

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:50:29 am »
Not sure if you want to travel to south carolina or not, but MUSC (medical university of south carolina) in charleston has a great team.  Doctor Paul Lambert is the acoustic nuroma specialsist there and he is actually world reknown and has done a lot of research in the area.  you can read about him online as well.  he is the doctor that i am going to see and has been great so far.  good luck.

LaMar
LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert