Author Topic: Electrical Nerve Stimulation Theraphy for Facial Paralysis  (Read 6936 times)

prabakaran

Electrical Nerve Stimulation Theraphy for Facial Paralysis
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:06:49 am »
Hi ,

I am undergoing the Electrical Nerve Stimulation Theraphy for Facial Paralysis. The physiotherapist passes mild tolerable current in the nerve trunk and branches to activate it. I am doing this for past 10 days. My physiotherapist says that the nerves are recovering slowly. Do anyone have idea about its effectiveness or side effects.

Cheers,
Praba
Cheers,
Praba

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Electrical Nerve Stimulation Theraphy for Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:37:35 am »
Hi Praba:   I've heard conflicting news re: electrical stimulation -  I don't want to alarm you but,
               some people feel it can cause worsening synkenesis.  Jackie Diels, a well known facial therapist
               feels that way.   My acupuncturist wanted to do the electrical nerve stimulation as an adjunct,
               but I told him about it & found the article when (I think) I googled facial paralysis electrical stimulation -
               that's when I came across the article & showed him.   So I'm holding off on it.  Talk with your facial
               therapist about it.    If you decide to continue with it, please write back on your progress, I'm curious but scared
               to do it myself.   Again,  the feelings those in the business have are conflicting.
Best wishes Praba,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

prabakaran

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:56:04 am »
Hi Nancy,

what does synkenesis mean? I will keep you posted regarding my treatment.

Cheers,
Praba
Cheers,
Praba

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:31:20 am »
Hi Praba:  Synkenises is the involuntary movement of a muscle during voluntary movement of another muscle;
              like,  say you go to smile, at the same time your eye muscle scrunches up,
              I think it can happen with nerve generation anyway, but I've read chances are higher or the
              synkenises could be worse if electrical stimulation is used to promote the nerve generation.
Please let me know how it goes for you.   I still have no movement whatsoever in my face.
I'll be having a repeat EMG 5/29, so we'll see how that goes.
Take care my friend, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

carol2007

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:02:15 pm »
Hi, Can anyone inform me of what the EMG does exactly?  I'm also in the dark as to what 7/12 is all about.  Thanks much!  Carol

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:50:26 pm »
Hi Carol:  EMG = electromyography = checking for nerve regeneration.  I have right sided facial paralysis, & every few months I've been having EMGs done to check if my
             facial nerve is showing signs of regeneration.  1st 3 or 4 electrodes are placed on the right side of my face & the neurologist takes what looks like a stun gun to
             the side of my neck & zaps it with increasing intensity 3 or 4 times.   Then needles are placed in the same spots as the electrodes were, & he turns on a machine,
             has me smile, purse my lips,  this checks for nerve generation.
The 7/12 or 12/7 jump is done for those of us with facial paralysis post AN surgery.   They take part of the 12th cranial nerve (hypoglossal) & attach it to the 7th cranial
nerve (facial), & use another nerve to attach them together.    After about a year we hope for nerve generation = tone, movement, etc.

A few people have had the 12/7 jump & are having great results, which gives me alot of hope.    I have my next EMG 5/29 - my facial nerve has shown
10-15% regeneration(although I still have paralysis on the right side),  so I'm holding off on the 12/7 jump.   It all depends on further results of the EMG whether I go for the 12/7 or not.  The problem is,
the longer you wait 1 year after surgery,  the less possibility you have of the 12/7 working.   But people 2 years out have had results,  it's just not good to wait,
the sooner the better.
 Best wishes to you,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

prabakaran

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:17:02 pm »
Hi,

Good to hear that. What does that 12/7 mean actually?

Cheers,
Praba.
Cheers,
Praba

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:33:52 am »
Hi Praba:  12/7 just means the 12th cranial nerve/7th cranial nerve.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

cinnamon

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 06:54:29 pm »
Hi,

I had first signs of movement December 1st on the left side of my face and recently I decided to see a facial therapist. I have had 2 sessions with him so far. He is really confident that my paralysis will get much better. My forehead and  eye area does not move and my smile showing my teeth doesn't work. I can smile a little with my mouth closed. Anyways, I have been really nervous about electrical stimulation too but I am using a small machine for 15 minutes per day, along with exercises using a mirror. Once a week, he uses a laser light on my face and does subtle exercises. He has treated over 200 patients since 2000 and has had a 90% sucess rate with 185 patients. I will let you know how my progress is going. I actually feel great about seeing him.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:10:46 pm »
Lisa:  So glad to hear you're beginning to have movement.   As you have read, I'm concerned re: electrical stimulation.   My acupuncturist also uses a laser ( called Luminex Laser) on my face after the acupuncture. 
I wish you all the best with the electrical nerve stimulation,  who knows ?   Maybe it is safe - you're getting great results !!!!!
I still don't have any movement, my beautiful smile doesn't show on the outside, but it's there on the inside.
Always good thoughts my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

cinnamon

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:04 am »
Nancyann,

So how do you feel about the acupuncture? I have been wondering about it. I think everything is scary. I just want my beautiful smile back too. I am just doing my best to feel totally confident with my decision and we will hope for the best. I will keep in touch and let you know how things progress. Let me know as well with the acupuncture. There is no way to explain but I am just doing what I can because I want my smile back. I am stubborn and don't want to except things as they are and my facial therapist is really confident and tells me to give it my all. I am going to do just that. You take care and just believe in yourself. They say you can do anything you set your mind too ;D
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 01:00:58 pm »
Hi there Lisa:   Before I started acupuncture, I was going for balance therapy, didn't want acupuncture, was scared of it (same way I'm scared of chiropractors).  The balance therapist also does acupuncture; I then read on this site somewhere a woman had 2 months of acupuncture & felt it helped her.   So I gave it a try, been going since 10/06.   What I love about it is the 'trance-like state' I go into - it's amazing !!!    What I don't like is when he puts the needles in it hurts for a few seconds.  When I first started I didn't feel a thing,  now that it's hurting I'm wondering if it IS the nerve coming back, well, we'll see May 29th when I have another EMG.
Time will tell.   In the meantime, we are brave warrior women who shine from within !!!!!
Take care my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis