Author Topic: Scheduled My Surgery 5/22/07  (Read 5857 times)

OTO

Scheduled My Surgery 5/22/07
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:40:58 pm »
To All:
I scheduled my surgery for tuesday 5/22/07.  I just got the information packet from the House Clinic and St. Vincent Medical Ctr, and am now reading all the paper work.

One question, they give you a form for a California Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (Advance Directive).  The form is pre-printed for a California Notary Public.  Does anyone know if I have to use this form or can I have one prepared and signed here at home and take it with me?   My concern is that on monday 5/21/07, I'm scheduled for a full day of tests and consultations (0730-1700).   I won't be able to get to the St Vincent Notary office nor will I be able to find two witnesses...  stupid question, but my mind is jumping all around, as I read this stuff.   

I'll probably call Chris (the Surgical Counselor at House) tomorrow morning...  probably call every week until I fly...

OTO

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Scheduled My Surgery 5/22/07
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:03:06 am »
Hi OTO... thank you for the update. I've noted your upcoming treatment date of the AN Calendar (see in "AN Community") so we will all be ready to cheer you on.

I have a Power of Atty  and Healthcare Proxy that I had my atty draw up for me years ago (even before my AN diagnosis).  It is my understanding that my Power of Atty and HealthCare Proxy are usuable in all States.  Many of the hospitals provide the forms to you in case you do not have one already in place. When asked now by treatment drs/hospitals, prior to any treatment I have done, about completing a standard form of Healthcare Proxy and such that they provide to patients, I just tell them I already have in place with my atty and they accept that. 

I am not sure why they would note a pre-print for a CA Notary Public as I thought any Notary Public could provide their seal, regardless of State... be curious what CA State Laws are in place for such a notation on the form... hoping Chris at HEI can advise you.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »
Hi OTO,
My retrosigmoid surgery was at House on 2/16/07.  The Surgery Consultant I talked with prior to going out advised me to just bring the form with me and we would complete it there.  After waiting for the Notary about 30 minutes, the person admitting me said they would just witness it.  When I was taken back to get the IV's started, etc. prior to surgery, as soon as I walked in one of the LPN's or workers said "you have had 4 phone calls".  I said who is calling me?  (my husband and children were with me in the waiting room).  She said "The doctors have called 4 times to get you back to the operating room!  That was a first for me...usually I am the one waiting on the doctors to get there. 

You are going to be in excellent hands.  I could not have been more pleased with my decision to go to LA.  As soon as I had made that decision, I immediately felt like a heavy burden was lifted from me.  The care was excellent and all of the doctors were in no hurry when I was asking my questions. 

If I can answer any questions or help you in any way, just send me an email.
Jean 
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Shrnwldr

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:41:53 pm »
You have paperwork to fill out prior to being admitted to St. Vincent?  Oh my goodness  I thought I would take care of all that once I arrived at the hospital.  I know I have paperwork for CA disability as well as paperwork for my employee, but I had no idea that there was a package of paperwork for the hospital.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

OTO

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 03:15:03 pm »
Shrnwhldr -

The packet contains alot of stuff to read and consider beforehand...not necessarily fill out before hand...  (standard handouts on patient rights, standard of care, what to expect).   Theres some pamphlets from the House Clinic on the type of surgery (e.g. middle fossal), a sheet of possible side effects or risks, and also an ANA Article about the expected outcomes from the surgery.

1.  It included a medical history form that I need to fill out for the consultation with the internist.   It was a detailed questionaire on personal and family medical history (I'm trying to remember when I had different shots, the measles, chickenpox, my tonsils removal, how many wisdom teeth I had removed and when, who in my family had what disease, stuff like that...).

2.  There was the California Durable Power of Attorney.

3.  There were several prescriptions that you need to fill and take three days before surgery.   Also one or two pages of things not to do... stop taking asprin containing meds, etc.

4.  Another thing to decide on is if you want to provide your own blood in case you need a transfusion.   Since I'm from out-of-state, I would need to go to my local blood bank or hospital and have it stored, processed and sent to St. Vincent.   There's a couple for forms for that...

5.  There was a sheet with a fee quote from House Clinic, so you can make inquiries to your health insurance company.

6.  For me since I'm flying in from Hawaii.   On monday, they've scheduled a bunch of tests (audiology, ABR, etc.) plus consultations with the neoursurgeon and internist at the House Clinic.  Then I have to go to St. Vincent for blood work-up, and chest x-ray and something else.   It's a full day.   Then I check into the hospital at 5 a.m. on tuesday and the operation is that day.   I think one of the things which is driving the schedule is the neurosurgeon has something else later that week, so it will be a busy monday...

OTO

Shrnwldr

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 03:25:54 pm »
OTO,
Is your neurosurgeon Dr. Hitselberger?  Oh this must be what my doctor's assistant said they would go over in great detail when they setup the next appointment at their office.  I live in Orange County, CA so I am not far from St. Vincents.   My doctor already said I would have to give a pint of blood as a standby precaution.  :::thinking to self::::  I wonder when I have to do that hmmmmm   

OTO  Good luck.  We will be passing each other in the hallways as my surgery at St. Vincent's will be 5/18/07.   

2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

OTO

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:08 pm »
Shrnwldr

The team will be Drs. Slattery (neuro-otologist), Schwartz (neurosurgeon) and Stefan (internal medicine)...  at least I think that were their names...  I did meet personally with Dr. Slattery (he comes to Hawaii every so many months to see patients...

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:20:35 am »
My doctor team was Friedman, Schwartz aand Stefan.  When I asked the Surgical Consultant about the form giving blood in case I needed it, she advised me that it was very, very seldom necessary that a patient have blood from AN retro surgery and it was not necessary.  After surgery one of my doctors advised I had less than a small tea cup loss of blood. 
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 07:13:01 pm »
Hi OTO,

If you have a Durable Power Of Attorney from your own state, that will do. I live in Indiana and they accepted mine with no problems.

Someone had told me that I needed to give blood 2 weeks before my surgery in case it was needed. I called the surgical counseling nurse and she told me that it was not needed. Only in rare cases. If you have Middle Fossa approach, I was told that you only lose a minimal amount of blood and would not need it.  I didn't!

So glad to see that you have made your decision. You are in good hands! If I can help in anyway, just email me.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  I wish you the best on your AN journey.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Evan

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:47 pm »
As an attorney, any durable POA and health care proxy will be honored by any hospital.  You do not have to have one filled out for that specific state.  I am sure that the only reason they presented you with a form was just in case you did not have one.

As if it is not obvious, we should all have either POA's or Health Care Proxies, Just in case.  While unfortunately, we often wait until we are going into a hospital for surgery, this should all remind us that one never knows what the next day will bring.  Some, I believe do not have them at a young age due to the "pessimistic nature" of them.  Actually, it is simply being prepared and in another way, eases some of the decision making for our loved ones should the unfortunate happen.

Evan
1.5 cm x 1 cm x .5 cm/Diagnosed March 8/AN Right Side as per MRI/Upon further review, docs do not know what it is.  Could be Facial neuroma/could be nothing.  Repeat MRI in 6 weeks.

kke

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:37:28 pm »
I wish you well for your upcoming procedure.  We just returned from House/St. Vincents and Seton last week.  Ask me any questions if you have them, I am more than willing to answer.  I thought of some tips that may be helpful.......House clinic will make the day before the procedure run smoothly even though you will be scheduled for so many tests and appointments.  They are very aware of your schedule and they kept us right on time.

kke