Author Topic: Crowded Places  (Read 5241 times)

Catflower

Crowded Places
« on: March 31, 2007, 05:05:11 pm »
I have a 2 cm x 1.9 cm right AN and am scheduled for surgery the week of April 16.  I am having a really difficult time in places like Wal-Mart, grocery store, the mall or any other place with bright lights and/or crowds.  It is really difficult to describe how my head feels, but it's kind of like I'm getting more input than my brain can handle.  I function pretty good at home as far as balance is concerned unless I look up or turn my head quickly. Has anyone else out there had this "too much input" problem?  If you had it prior to surgery did it get better afterward?

Boppie

Re: Crowded Places
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:40:43 pm »
You might be in the adjustment phase of the nerve compression that your hearing and vestibular nerves are going through.  All of these symptoms are similar to the ones patients go through post op during the balance recovery period.  Hang on to your courage.  These symptoms will abate as you complete recovery from the treatment.

You might read elsewhere in these threads that some people experience no balance problems post treatment.  That is due to the complete adjustment they've already and unknowingly gone through. 

Be careful, don't take any falls.  Looking up while you are moving can make most people dizzy, AN or not.  The eyes are extremely important in the balance system.  Balance is best achieved when keeping the head level and the eyes on the horizons.  You will become more aware of this post treatment. You will do exercises that challenge your vestibular nerve to bring it into peak function again.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 06:57:44 pm »
Hello,

I will share my experience but, my balance is rather good considering everything.  My problem is like you mentioned, the over-load.  I can't feel comfortable in crowds, big places, chatter, loud places, busy places and it makes me extremely nervous, totally exhausted and very stressed.  Simply put, that is how it is for me at this current time.  I don't remember this experience I'm having, before my Cyberknife treatments.  Many of us know what you mean.  I do have trouble with the balance if I look up suddenly, as well.  (as, you mentioned otherwise not too bad on the balance issue)

We will all be thinking of you on April 16th.

My best to you,

Palace

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:45:43 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:03:25 pm »
Hi Catflower, 
To put it positively, you are going to be fine.  And to explain further, your balance nerve is getting mixed messages from the tumor compression.  When the tumor is out, your brain will tell the other balance nerve to take over in a compensating way.  Within a short time of surgery you will be able to handle shopping and looking in the aisles better.  The noise in crowds and especially in stores where there are loud speakers and poor acoustics are a hard to deal with on the best of days.  Lots of ANers use ear plugs in stores and noisy places.  I will be thinking of you on the 16th.

er

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:54:14 pm »
Hello Catflower,
Wish you the best on the 16th. I myself have the same problem with place with to much going on. My balance goes and sometimes my nerves. It's been 2years and 3 days since surgery. But I think I'll take Boppie idea and carry some ear plugs. I only used them when my husband snored. Now I don't have to I just lay on my good ear. ;D
er

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 06:11:52 am »
Hi Catflower, Like Eve, I wish you all the best for your surgery.
I didn't have problems pre-surg, but now I find I do my shopping as early as possible to avoid crowds.
When crowds can't be avoided I find myself walking slower to be able to negotiate all the bodies coming at me.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:13:46 am »
I definitely felt that way before surgery and some in the months after but now almost 3 years later I don't notice it so much. Walmart was the worst! :) Good luck on the 16th.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:25:47 pm »
Wal Mart is the worst for me too.  Unfortunately, it's the place I have to go most often 

RED in Palacios

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:52:43 pm »
I am still in the wait and watch phase with my AN but like you have problems in certain areas at certain times with too much "noise".  I am a school teacher and have found that I am not able to endure any sort of presentation in our auditorium right now and going into the gym for games or pep ralleys is simply not something I can  do anymore.  I become disoriented by the overload of auditory stimulation in my one "good ear".  Hearing is completely gone in my other one.  My wife and I now shop places like Wal-Mart late at night or very early in the day when crowds are not an issue.  We even have alterted our grocery shopping routine to make it so I can continue to go and help.  Believe it or not, there are even times when I must leave the auditorium at church and stay out in the foyer because the preacher gets so wound up.  I have been able to handle pretty much anythig as long as the exposure time is short.  Folks tell me I'll get better at it with time.  In the meantime, I have no problems geting up and distancing myself from the source as necessary.  Good luck on the 16th.  Sounds like you have things together and have a good medical team working for you.  You will be in our prayers.
Richard
Diagnosed 10-16-06.  3.6 mm by 9 mm.  Waiting and watching actively.

Shrnwldr

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 03:10:26 pm »
Because I seem to fall frequently I have found that if I keep my eyes looking down the chances are next to none.  Will this be the same after surgery? 
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:52:26 am »
HI Cat,
  I have the same problem with loud places.  After surgery my head actually started spasming due to sensory overload.  I was on my way for a follow up appt with my surgeon so the timing was perfect! What I have found that if I put ear plugs in my good ear it lessons the overload and makes it where I can actually hear people but not be so overwhelmed by the outside noise.  I had to sit through dinner last night with an ear plug as the people behind me combined with the music was just too much.  I just tried the silicone ear plugs which you sorta mush into your outer ear and they  are clear so they are not as noticeable as the foamy colored ones you stick into your ear canal.  The worse part is when you talk it feels very funny and hard to tell how loud you are.  Hope that helps!

Michelle

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 08:54:08 am »
Good luck catflower....I can say I have the same problem, post surgery only though....I won't walk in crowded places unless someone is with me, and I usually walk behind them and try not to look at all the movement of the other people.  Unlike others, I am fine with stationary object overload, but moving objects make me want to sit down so I don't fall.  I'm OK though, if I have a cart or another person to walk with me.  Hopefully you can make those adjustments when you need to, and you have some good caregivers lined up....they can make this so much easier!!!!  Hugs!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 05:51:24 pm »
Catflower,
               I am pleased to report that I had the same problem in big, open and enclosed places such as Walmart or the grocery store.
Looking back on it all, it seems as if my depth perception, hearing and balance were all rolled in to one. As soon as I would enter a place like that I felt like I was a bit disorientated and sort of lost in space. I knew that the problem was related to my hearing but I really couldn't put my finger on what was ailing me. I complained about it constantly to whoever would listen to me. I'd interview total strangers at length in an effort to solicit opinions and diagnose myself. The problem gradually got worse and worse until not ony my sight and depth perception were being seriously altered, but I was staggering around like a drunk with double vision. I remember several times when it was at its worst. The first was when my girlfriend took me out to a premier showing of Bruce Campbell's movie "The Man With The Scrambled Brain" - how mysteriously apt! - at which the actor himself was present to talk and meet and greet. I was a wreck. I remember getting out of the car and leaning on my girlfriend as we walked toward the theater. I remember looking at the bustle of people and cars moving around me and feeling like I was going to die, thinking, "So this is what it feels like to be near the end....." I was amazed at how, after going in to a sushi restaurant for a bite, I was revived by the food, only to relapse a few hours later. The next time was when I went in a Walmart to buy an air conditioner. My head, depth perception, hearing and balance were completely skewed. I knew I was at the end of the line.
    I am happy to report that all of that weird, cloudiness has gone away since my surgery. But that is only in my case. As you can see, others have reported that they hadn't experienced anything like it until after their surgery.

Hope you get through it okay.......Paul
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:00:32 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.