Author Topic: confused as ever  (Read 3918 times)

Richey

confused as ever
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:24:58 pm »
about two years ago I had gamma knife for a small AN left side intercanicular. Of course I lost my hearing in a couple of months and the tinnitus is bad. My original symptom was being off balance. I have learned to deal with that pretty well. So far my tumor has not grown but it has shown no evidence that the radiation has had any affect on the tumor. I am at the point that I doubt it will. I talked to a well known surgery center and the doctor says that if I have it surgically removed it will help my balance issues. He said that people who have surgery vs radiation do better with balance. How about it, guys is that true for any of you.

Also I have purchase a bi-cross hearing aid and it has been a big help. Of course it has some drawbacks but I figured I would try that approach first before baha. Did try the transear too but found it very uncomfortable and did not get much transfer.

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
Re: confused as ever
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:20:59 pm »
Hi Richey:

Sorry you didn't get much help with TransEar. If you are wearing a true BI-CROS (amplifies the good side as well as picking up input from the dead side), you were likely not a good candidate for TransEar to begin with. If you'll email me privately with your name and provider, I'll look up your audiogram. We sometimes build TransEar devices for candidates outside the fitting range after talking to the audiologist, but results have not been especially good.

Rick Gilbert

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: confused as ever
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:36 am »
about two years ago I had gamma knife for a small AN left side intercanicular. Of course I lost my hearing in a couple of months and the tinnitus is bad. My original symptom was being off balance. I have learned to deal with that pretty well. So far my tumor has not grown but it has shown no evidence that the radiation has had any affect on the tumor. I am at the point that I doubt it will. I talked to a well known surgery center and the doctor says that if I have it surgically removed it will help my balance issues. He said that people who have surgery vs radiation do better with balance. How about it, guys is that true for any of you.

Personally, my balance is really unchanged from pre-op, but I have to admit it wasn't too bad before.  I did have a lot of balance problems when I was pregnant with my second (I had the AN then, but wasn't diagnosed) but they went away after I gave birth.  The theory was all the swelling fromt he pregnancy exacerbated the problems.

Good luck, and I hope you get some more answers.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)