Author Topic: Post microsurgical libido  (Read 10745 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Post microsurgical libido
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 12:08:25 pm »
Chelsea, you rawk! you really do!  :-*

...and great answer you share! I'm impressed!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 02:32:38 am »
I couldnt get excited for a week.
I posted about it on my blog at thestatus.com
I almost threwup when my brain was sending me weird emotin/ images.
I rationaled it as being God telling me that I was not "ready yet" so I had to "keep ye thy mind off thee doity thoughts!"

upon getting home to my wife about 2 weeks post, we had a rippin yet careful not to kill me time.
intrusive images of Shahinian pointing his finger at me "45 Degree angle all the time! didnt help..

post 3 mos now everything is not "dizzy s__", but ya, the "Libido" was down for sure.

CSF LEAK s__ WOOT!

healing takes time.

minor clean up of wording here Ixta... slight adjustment and doesn't take away from what you are trying to share... thanks for understanding.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:57:43 pm by ppearl214 »
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:44:18 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean....maybe it is all psychological....the day after my first time after surgery, I was rushing up to the hospital for a CSF leak...sure it wasn't related, but I did wonder.  I don't know, still working on it, researched some vitamin therapy this weekend, so will see if that helps.  Now have flaxseed and evening primrose oil, and progesterone cream.  I'd take Phyl's advice, but considering Brian is a cop and I work in the prosecutor's office....I'll stick to the legal realm!   ;D
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:55 am »
Yes, well, yer keep'in it nice here girlies. 

So far, I've begun using the spade in the garden, and hacking down errant plants.  Its about time.  The old spirit moves in mysterious ways...sooooo slowly.

Did ya think I'd never sign in on this one?

Stevey

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 12:26:34 pm »
I haev a good one here,

My doc cleared me for Se#  er relations after 4weeks post op, my wife is afraid that I will get injured, I am 9 weeks postop and Before surgery could bench press three of her 118 lbs..  Now she is tired all the time, this weekend I put in new ballisters and rails the main stariwell to out house and lugged about an actual ton of mulch onto our covered porch, I am super into the concept of relations and have tried the usual things for her chocolate, crunch n munch, and nothing, could it be my scar?, she told me she thinks it makes me look tougher.  Wait this is about my libido, nothing wrong with that, I was *feeling amourous* in in- patient rehab for goodness sakes.  This tinnitus makes me loopy at times.

Sorry to drift off thread,

Steve

*Steve, light touch up on certain words to keep it... um.... for all to read... thanks for understanding
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:52:56 pm by ppearl214 »
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:40 pm »
No worries, and yes, Boppie, we're keeping it clean....I think it's a legitimate thought, just like how the heck to do #2 without intracrainial pressure and blowing out your brains after surgery.   The thing I find really difficult about post surgery is that if your hand or foot or knee hurts, you can take a vacation in your brain to get away from it...but what if it's your brain?  There's no escaping all the wonky feelings going on up there.  Not that I'm dwelling it, but I would give almost anything for one day's vacation from my head.  Stevey, I don't know what to tell you...other than just remember that it's an emotional thing for most women, not a physical thing. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 01:00:31 pm »
folks, thanks  for sharing all you are sharing and greatly appreciated. I remind everyone to CAREFULLY watch wording here as minors are also reading this.  Please keep on track as you all are doing and please be careful in specific words you type. As you can see, I've already had to clean up a couple of posts.  This is an AN website and although the conversation is essential to what many experience, it's just the wording you gotta watch, ok?  Thanks for understanding...

... and Gennysmom, heck, my suggestions may not be kewl but hey... was worth a thought! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

okiesandy

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 03:23:20 pm »
I am not sure this may be just a surgrery thing. I have a friend that had GK for her AN. She said she feels about as sexy as a used dish rag and no desire to make woopie. I have noticed she does not dress or act the same as before AN. She used to flirt with her husband and initiate things.

It took me quite a while to go back wearing jewelry. I also seemed to pick out my most plane jane cloths. I simply didn't seem to want to be noticed. I also gained a lot of weight.  I am back now. Get out the flash and put it on. Something about that year marker seemed to click.

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

TP

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »
Personally having your head cut open, paralysis in the face, double vision, sometimes food falling out of your mouth and a gold weight in your eye lid, well it just doesn't make you feel very attractive. I still like to get dressed up and wear my make up but I don't like the fact that I have to wear black tape on one side of my glasses, I am getting a little tired of kids looking at me and telling their mommy and daddy, look at that lady, what is wrong with her eye?  Fortunately I have a good sense of humor but ....when I initially had the surgery and was wearing a black patch on my eye, I did on occasion growl like a pirate at some kids in the grocery store ..I got a good laugh out of it.

Let's face it we've gone thru some tough stuff here with many of us having lots of patience in our recovery process. It does change you. I am very very thankful I am alive. My husband has been wonderful, understanding and very helpful but I just look at things a little differently these days. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jill Marie

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 11:10:40 pm »
TP,

I loved your post, you said it like it is, "Personally having your head cut open, paralysis in the face, double vision, sometimes food falling out of your mouth and a gold weight in your eye lid, well it just doesn't make you feel very attractive." 

I use to be jealous that I didn't have an AN like the rest of you but if having one means the libido takes a hit then no thank you I will keep my Facial Neuroma.  Ha, Ha! 

I broke my leg a month before my surgery and just a week after finding out I needed the surgery.  The short time between my leg surgery (tri-lateral break) and Facial Neuroma surgery I was extremely amourous, emotions were running high.  As someone mentioned before women are very emotional.  After the Facial surgery I was to busy being in pain from the lack of info. on how to take care of my non-watering eye, add to it the inability to eat and other issues I won't go into, to even think about being amorous, let alone feeling that way.  It's been almost 15 years so I don't recall how long it was before I took a chance on being intimate, I don't think it was really all that long though.  One of my main concerns was that since I couldn't smile or speak clearly how could I possibly kiss? 

To quote TP again, "My husband has been wonderful, understanding and very helpful but I just look at things a little differently these days."  My husband was and is wonderfull as well.  The kissing never became an issue and spending "quality time" with my husband has been the best thing for me mentally & emotionally as when I'm with him I'm not someone that had a tumor, I'm not someone who can't smile, I'm not someone that has to put ointment in her eye every 5 to 15 minutes. I'm loved for who I am today and there's nothing more I could ask for!  My Mom became ill when I was 5 and things got worse over the years, my Dad and Mom hardly spoke while I was growing up. When I got sick I was afraid that would happen to me & my husband as well.  Thankfully it wasn't the case.   I'm not saying that the only time I'm happy is when I'm with my husband I'm just saying that if it isn't working for you now, be patient, it will work when the emotions and the healing process are in order, it's worth the wait.  Sometimes we think we are doing fine and then when we are "actually" doing fine we realize we weren't doing as well as we thought we were. 

Take Care, Jill Marie ;)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 04:37:55 am »
 I hear you loud & clear TP.....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 08:45:56 am »
TP and Jill Marie....you guys are great!  I can so totally relate to "Sometimes we think we are doing fine and then when we are "actually" doing fine we realize we weren't doing as well as we thought we were."  I just want to say again that this whole experience has really brought us closer as a couple, and I am so happy....that was one of my fears pre-surgery....how would we relate to each other and will he be OK being my caretaker.  He's been amazing.  I think it's just that I'm finally starting to feel well enough that I think I should be back wanting to be "in the saddle" (so to speak).  I'm feeling even better than last week after adjusting my meds and vitamins, so I think talking about this was the push I needed to take care of it.  Thanks so much! 

kkweiher

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 04:03:19 pm »
I had no loss either.... I was acrually more interest.  All the love and caring I received from my man made me more willing than ever ;) ;)1st week easy does it, third week, almost .....   I think i'll drive... :o :)
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 12:44:04 pm »

Good thread.  Well handled.  Thanks

I think Chelsea got it about right.  AN surgery, even none-invasive radiation, takes a lot out of our bodies and they need some time to recover and get us back to our normal state, which would include our respective libido levels.  I suspect there are probably a lot of mental issues, too, that effect post-op libido.  As Nancy correctly stated, most of our amorous inclinations begin in the mind and the body simply responds to that mental stimulus.  If we hurt, are tired and stressed (like GM), have anxiety, anger or other, possibly subconscious, 'issues', I'm certain they'll have a negative effect on our libido level, no matter how much we might wish otherwise. 

Fortunately, I had a rapid recovery and no real problems with my libido.  It was back to normal in about 10 days.  My wife was a bit surprised but didn't complain.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tony

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 01:04:10 am »
There is a tendancy these days to send patients home very soon
 (too soon in my view)
- with the effect that they are mostly, still recovering, at home
This creates issues, a bit more like a carer relationship / or almost parental
I am sure this confuses things, and of course the homebase
now has associations with illness/hospitals etc etc
Anyone still having firework issues might look at
a vacation romance, or second honeymoon
Best Regards