Author Topic: Those attending July's Symposium  (Read 25419 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Those attending July's Symposium
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:01:36 pm »
Hi all, I've been quiet for a few months, trying to focus on my recovery and everyday life.  Missed you guys!!!!

I have registered and got my hotel and air reservations for Philly in July, and I was just wondering who else was past the pondering going point, and can guarantee that they will be there.  I know Matti has, but who else?  Just curious!

Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Static

Re: Those attending July's Symposium
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:07:40 pm »
I'll be there!  I won't be staying in a hotel and probably won't be there late nights unless there's something really exciting going on since I'll be commuting.  I live just outside Philly and will be taking the train into town.  Guess I'll finally get to meet a few people! 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Stevey

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:24:54 pm »
Karen,
We might be neighbors, I live in Drexel Hill PA and my wife is a professor at UPenn Med School, I am seriously thinking of going just to meet some folks and see if I can help.

Cheers,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:36:17 am »
Gennysmom  :-*   Sure have missed you around here as well as Genny's "ha-ha-ha!"

Will advise on my end about attending.... working it now... JoeF was tossing it around, as was our fearless Captn Deb.  Will check in with the scallyway and PirateWench later.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:30 am »
I'm planning on going.  I haven't made specific plans yet, though.  It'll depend on whether I go by myself or we turn it into a family vacation.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:47:53 am »
Thanks guys!  I'm dragging my other half Brian too, but he's going to go play while I'm at the workshops.  I won't be "there" late either Karen, I know I'm going to need quiet time to decompress and spend time with Brian.  And we have tickets to the Phillies/Cardinals game on Friday night!!!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:26 am »
Katie,

Pls keep me updated on your travel plans (flights/train/etc).  The "best coast" gang can invade... er... arrive in Philly ear to ear! :)

(can discuss at brunch!)

Phyl

I'm planning on going.  I haven't made specific plans yet, though.  It'll depend on whether I go by myself or we turn it into a family vacation.

Katie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:29 am »
Hi
Just curious are people attending to find out new treatment options, gather info or is it generally to meet with each other and learn from each other? Since my husband had his surgery by these dr's at jefferson and has had such bad results I don't think attending would be of any benefit to us. We feel this is just a big pr campaign for their neuroscience center which by the way was never mentioned to us prior to his surgery, because if it was we would have waited and had the surgery done there. I feel we have learned more from the great people on this web site than anything. It is just a shame the dr's said take anything you read on the web site with a grain of salt because these are the complainers, the extreme cases, patients with good results don't have time to read the web site. This was the worst advise we could have listened to from the dr's. If we would have read more and realized the credibility of all of the members on this group we would have been an wait and watcher with the an only being 9mm pre op. We can't thank you all enough for all your help and feedback.The only reason we would attend would be to meet some of the great people in person. I have attached some of our emails  to other members to give you a backgound of my husbands experience. Wishing you all well andwe keep all of you in our prayers.
Don and Mary Ellen
Hi Mike Yes getting yourself in good hands is important, but even that is no guarntee! My husband had surgery at Jefferson Hopspital in Phila by the Dr's Evans & Willcox who are sponsoring the Acoustic Neuroma Symposium this year so you would think all would be ok, RIGHT? Since you are new you may not know Don's story I'll sum it up. 46 Yo happy, active, man who runs each day loves to travel, is a master plumber, coaches ice hockey, manages our son's teams web site etc, looks 35 yo also, big plus for me :) His only symptoms was tinnititus pre op. Found 9mm AN on mri had retrosigmoid surgery on 7-20-06, it is now almost 8 mos post op. From the 1st night post op has had facial palsy, eye does not close, I had to call an ophthalmologist to see my husband luckily I work for Dr on staff at Wills eye hosp connected to jeff hosp since no one else noticed his eye was not closing right away, if I was not staying there he would have been alot worse off a word to the wise stay with the person having surgery at least for the 1st few days this should not be necessary after all you are in"Good Hands":( Next he has had severe headaches 24 hours a day 7 days a week no relief since surgery surgeons can't help they just pawn you off on the Headache Center at Jeff, who by the way are very helpful and caring I would recommend them! They try many meds botox etc it's all hit or miss the pain varies from 3to10 on the pain scale never a 0 in 8 months :(  His hearing is intact. He had to do PT daily even had someone come to the house for weeks post op. Then on to vestibular tx they were very helpful his balance is better, we are up to walking 2 1/2 miles, it's not running 5 miles but it's better then nothing. His tongue was painful for weeks post op, now no pain but taste is still altered. He wears an external weight on his lid to help his eye close he puts tears in and gel several times an hour, The weight is annoying but we are so afraid of another surgery we'll stick with it for now. Dr's first told us don't worry about facial palsy, then it was you'll be better in 3 mos, then 6mos now they say a year if ever :( And on top of it all they did not remove the whole tumor which was only 9mm to start when in the op notes it says they did remove??? He has a 4-5 mm enhancing area since the 1st day post op and has had an mri every 3 mos since with no change. The neuro wants us to consider fsr my husband says NO WAY we'll just wait and watch and hopefully it will never change. Wish we would have know more about the other options and this web site actually when I mentioned it Dr Willcox said only the complainers and people with problems are on it (ie the people with bad outcomes )so take what you read with a grain of salt!!! Trust me we are not complainers we are, no were happy fun people. Again wish we would have read more maybe we could have made a different decision. So please by all means read inform yourself if you can wait and watch only do something if it grows who knows you may be lucky and this is all it is no changes forever. I wish that for you. WOW no way I can be brief this is TOO important, it's been a life changing surgery for us I include myself because we are in this together. I think the people on this web site are very informative and willing to help each other with any issue. Please feel free to contact us for anything.

dr willcox the neuro- otologist said he did 300 of them  dr evans the neurosurgeon was about the same by the way they are some of the dr's sponsoring the symposium which again seems to be pr for their new neuro center where they will be doing these surgeries.  we were never told of this at the time if we were maybe we would have waited to have it there, as it was dr evans was in an emergency surgery first thing in the am when we arrived for surgery we were never told of this and don's surgery was delayed over 6 hours, i guess we'll never know if dr willcox just rushed to get done since he was supposed to be in surgery all that time and was dr evans tired after doing an unscheduled surgery, again all this in hindsight. the or should have made us aware of the delay we probably would have rescheduled as it was don laid outside the or alone for 6 hours they never told be he was not in surgery when they took him i just assumed he was in surgery. i really could not in all good conscience recommed them for this and many other reasons
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 09:05:04 am »
Hi
Just curious are people attending to find out new treatment options, gather info or is it generally to meet with each other and learn from each other? Since my husband had his surgery by these dr's at jefferson and has had such bad results I don't think attending would be of any benefit to us. We feel this is just a big pr campaign for their neuroscience center which by the way was never mentioned to us prior to his surgery, because if it was we would have waited and had the surgery done there. I feel we have learned more from the great people on this web site than anything. It is just a shame the dr's said take anything you read on the web site with a grain of salt because these are the complainers, the extreme cases, patients with good results don't have time to read the web site. This was the worst advise we could have listened to from the dr's. If we would have read more and realized the credibility of all of the members on this group we would have been an wait and watcher with the an only being 9mm pre op. We can't thank you all enough for all your help and feedback.The only reason we would attend would be to meet some of the great people in person. I have attached some of our emails  to other members to give you a backgound of my husbands experience. Wishing you all well andwe keep all of you in our prayers.
Don and Mary Ellen
Hi Mike Yes getting yourself in good hands is important, but even that is no guarntee! My husband had surgery at Jefferson Hopspital in Phila by the Dr's Evans & Willcox who are sponsoring the Acoustic Neuroma Symposium this year so you would think all would be ok, RIGHT? Since you are new you may not know Don's story I'll sum it up. 46 Yo happy, active, man who runs each day loves to travel, is a master plumber, coaches ice hockey, manages our son's teams web site etc, looks 35 yo also, big plus for me :) His only symptoms was tinnititus pre op. Found 9mm AN on mri had retrosigmoid surgery on 7-20-06, it is now almost 8 mos post op. From the 1st night post op has had facial palsy, eye does not close, I had to call an ophthalmologist to see my husband luckily I work for Dr on staff at Wills eye hosp connected to jeff hosp since no one else noticed his eye was not closing right away, if I was not staying there he would have been alot worse off a word to the wise stay with the person having surgery at least for the 1st few days this should not be necessary after all you are in"Good Hands":( Next he has had severe headaches 24 hours a day 7 days a week no relief since surgery surgeons can't help they just pawn you off on the Headache Center at Jeff, who by the way are very helpful and caring I would recommend them! They try many meds botox etc it's all hit or miss the pain varies from 3to10 on the pain scale never a 0 in 8 months :(  His hearing is intact. He had to do PT daily even had someone come to the house for weeks post op. Then on to vestibular tx they were very helpful his balance is better, we are up to walking 2 1/2 miles, it's not running 5 miles but it's better then nothing. His tongue was painful for weeks post op, now no pain but taste is still altered. He wears an external weight on his lid to help his eye close he puts tears in and gel several times an hour, The weight is annoying but we are so afraid of another surgery we'll stick with it for now. Dr's first told us don't worry about facial palsy, then it was you'll be better in 3 mos, then 6mos now they say a year if ever :( And on top of it all they did not remove the whole tumor which was only 9mm to start when in the op notes it says they did remove??? He has a 4-5 mm enhancing area since the 1st day post op and has had an mri every 3 mos since with no change. The neuro wants us to consider fsr my husband says NO WAY we'll just wait and watch and hopefully it will never change. Wish we would have know more about the other options and this web site actually when I mentioned it Dr Willcox said only the complainers and people with problems are on it (ie the people with bad outcomes )so take what you read with a grain of salt!!! Trust me we are not complainers we are, no were happy fun people. Again wish we would have read more maybe we could have made a different decision. So please by all means read inform yourself if you can wait and watch only do something if it grows who knows you may be lucky and this is all it is no changes forever. I wish that for you. WOW no way I can be brief this is TOO important, it's been a life changing surgery for us I include myself because we are in this together. I think the people on this web site are very informative and willing to help each other with any issue. Please feel free to contact us for anything.

dr willcox the neuro- otologist said he did 300 of them  dr evans the neurosurgeon was about the same by the way they are some of the dr's sponsoring the symposium which again seems to be pr for their new neuro center where they will be doing these surgeries.  we were never told of this at the time if we were maybe we would have waited to have it there, as it was dr evans was in an emergency surgery first thing in the am when we arrived for surgery we were never told of this and don's surgery was delayed over 6 hours, i guess we'll never know if dr willcox just rushed to get done since he was supposed to be in surgery all that time and was dr evans tired after doing an unscheduled surgery, again all this in hindsight. the or should have made us aware of the delay we probably would have rescheduled as it was don laid outside the or alone for 6 hours they never told be he was not in surgery when they took him i just assumed he was in surgery. i really could not in all good conscience recommed them for this and many other reasons

WOW!  Very sorry to read about your frustrations.  I too heard the same remarks, but found differently when reading as I use the "negative/scary stories" as a guiding light on a dark road of choices.  All I can say is time does heal.  I too had 24/7 headaches, I am 2 + years post retrosigmoid surgery and had difficult time believing they would go away, but now I am down to one ibuprofen (I am not recommending this, but what I found to work) every couple weeks.  Massaging the incision site helped to release scar tissue pulling/tightness.  Yoga helps with total body healing, mind, balance, breathing, headaches, muscle tension, etc.  some find Tai Chi helps also.  Right from the "get go" I was told "If you have to have a brain tumor, this is the one to have as they are almost always non cancerous."  So, right off the bat the surgeons who deal with these all the time (we don't so we are afraid) are already treating this matter-of-factly, sort of like setting a broken bone, no big whoop.  I can understand your feelings of abandonment.  I had this happen at my one-year follow-up by my Neurosurgeon who kept putting off calling me as he had more important issues to deal with for six weeks?  Still waiting for an apology from him.  But, the good side here is you will get better and it does take time.  So best to relax with this knowledge, take whatever pain meds will work and that are prescribed by your doctors to get you through the tough road.  It is unfortunate that once the surgery is performed you do feel as though you are shoved out the door in hopes never to be heard from again.  I am sure this is not the case though.  I did read an interesting book shedding light on what neurosurgeons are like, "Another Day In The Frontal Lobe", by ???? name escapes me, but I wanted to have a clear understanding of why ANers fall between the cracks after surgery.  Our tumors are not really brain tumors because they do not grow from the brain, they are not classified as serious because they are not cancerous and they are slow growing.  Surgeons deal with aneurisms, cancerous growths, etc. that are acute, ANers are not acute so we are treated as such.  Not good news here, but realistic.   :-\
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:28 am »
By The Way,

I am seriously considering attending and to see the Mutter Museum if time will have it. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 10:11:53 am »
Hi Karen
 Glad to hear you are doing better! Don does go to a pt who is very into holistic hands on tx. He does craniosacral release, and does alot of different massage tx's in the scar area. He does exercise every day and does meditation which he has been doing for years. I tried yoga and realized I'm not flexible, but we have been thinking about trying it together at our local center. I think the dr's need to read this web site to see how their pt's really feel and of their struggles of every day life. They get up every day headache and pain free and go to work, they have no idea what the post op pt's are going thru. I work for a great group of ophthalmic surgeons and I see how they treat their pt's and all I can say is the neurosurgeons and neuro-otologist's could learn alot. I hope Don can get to the pont where he can take 1 advil every few weeks for headaches.
ps my son went to the Mutter Museum and said it was interesting but very odd things also, I guess it depends on what you like :)
Take care
Mary Ellen

facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

Static

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:06:38 pm »
Hi!  I'm sorry about your husband's problems with his surgery but there are also successes at Jefferson.  I do believe their "new" neuroscience center isn't all that new and is where I had my surgery performed in 2004 and where they've been performing all their surgeries in the past few years but then again, I haven't been there for three years.  It used to be the Wills Eye Hospital at 9th & Walnut Sts, matter of fact, they were still converting it and when I went there the name "Wills Eye Hospital" was still on the outside of the building!  I guess they finally finished renovations.  So I don't think it's a totally new building but rather a renovated facility from what I understood.  My team consisted of Drs. Wilcox and Rosenwasser.  I didn't know of Dr. Evans.  My AN was a bit larger and pressing on the brain stem so I didn't feel I had an option to wait and watch and just wanted the bugger out and gone and although I did have a CSF leak to deal with a couple of months later, all in all, I do consider myself lucky in that I didn't have paralysis, just balance issues, tinnitus, deafness and headaches, but I had the headaches prior to surgery also.  So although, like I said, I am sorry to hear of your husbands troubles, I had, what I look back on now, as a positive outcome at that facility.
So as not to change the topic completely (which I sometimes tend to do), I am going to the symposium not just to meet some of the wonderful people I have met on this forum, but also to see if I can gain any valuable and/or new information on finding help for dealing with the headaches and tinnitus I have trouble with these days.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

vcschaub

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
I have made my reservations and flight arrangements to be there. Having attended the last one in Orlando, prior to surgery, talking with persons who had already had surgery was very enlightening. Now, post surgery, I hope to do the same for someone this time around. I am hoping my husband will come as we have never done the Philadelphia "tourist" scene.

Viki
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:48:06 am »
Hi Karen
I'm glad there are some patients who feel their surgery was a success at Jeff. Don's surgery was done in the hospital not the old Wills ( i actually worked at Wills for years) I wonder why they used it years ago and now use the main hospital??? There are alot of things I wonder about @ Jeff.  >:( But anyway I can tell you the headache center at Jeff is wonderful. They have several post acoustic neuroma patients. Dr Silverstein runs the center but his fellow Dr Marmura is very caring and compassionate. Even if your appointment is with the fellow, the attending always comes in and reviews everything with you. My husband had met with several Dr's from other countries also while there. It seems  Let Miriam the director know that you are post an surgery and you can avoid the 500.00 psych eval that is required for migraine ha pt's. The only downfall is you do wait for appointments but, you do get alot of time with the dr. You stated you had headaches prior to surgery, were they from the an? Since you read Don's pre and post op story you can see he had a small 9mm an with tinnitus as the only problem, so to come out of this surgery with more  and severe problems has totally blindsided us :(
And now with this 4mm enhancing area post op we feel we are back to square one.
Take care and God bless
Don & Mary Ellen
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

Static

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »
I haven't been to the headache clinic yet but may end up there after all.  Dr. Rosenwasser had suggested it but the headaches had seemed to subside a bit.  They seem to always get worse in the winter and honestly, if I am a major wimp and will avoid going out in the cold weather if at all possible.  I am seeing a very good neurologist at Abington hospital who has a good friend from the headache clinic at Jeff and thinks he will be sending me there next but since it's warming up a bit, I won't mind as mucfh LOL!  I had been doing pretty good in the last month but it seems that the headaches are starting up again.  I honestly think it's because of the change in weather again, but then again, what do I know :/  I don't know if the headaches are AN related, the AN docs didn't seem to think so, I was told that ANs rarely have headache associated but have heard otherwise from people who would know more about that, like the patients!!!  It's true that many docs seem to think that as long as you've come out of the surgery "alive" so to speak, things are good.  The follow up care for AN patients is not there for many of us and I think that is a major problem.  Many of us do know that there are residual problems to deal with.  So, my only problem going into this I guess was maybe headaches and reduced hearing.  Post op I have no hearing on AN side, headaches (not sure if an related), and major, did I mention Major, tinnitus.   I don't know why they used the Wills Eye Hospital then and not more recently.  I was told, at that time by Dr. Rosenwasser, that it was going to be, or that it was, the neurosciences hospital of Jeff :/  I figured they had been using it ever since.  You learn something new everyday.   As far as Dr. Evans, I have no idea who he is.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right