Author Topic: Follow-up after FSR  (Read 4107 times)

MinnieMia

Follow-up after FSR
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:08:53 am »
Hi all...

I'm a little bull-by-the-hornsish so I have kinda driven my own treatment plan.  I decided when, how, who to see, what have you.  Once I decided to do FSR and I picked my place (Hopkins-they were great) I just did it.  My primary care doc wasn't really involved, I just made my own arrangements.  I had FSR treatment for my R Acoustic Neuroma in early November of 06.  The docs there and I did not discuss expected follow up so the downside to being self-directed is now I have no idea what I need to be doing at this point!  I assumed that I should have another MRI after 6 months and have my treating physicians at JHU look them over; however I really would like more specifics.  For anyone who had FSR, what is expected at the first 6 month interval, what kinds of symptoms are "normal", etc.  When can we effectively say that the tumor is dead-what will be the signs and benchmarks for "successful" treatment?

I know all of these things are subjective, but I'm sure there are some standards...  I would also like to apply for life insurance but can't until I can say that the tumor has been treated and is dead, I guess.  I need to know if the docs will ever say that or not.  Has anyone else gotten life insurance with a Post-FSR acoustic neuroma? 

If you could just give me some information as to what to expect, what I should be doing, etc., that would be great.  I know there are some experts out there!
Thanks everyone...your messages are really helpful...particularly the fatigue ones.  Yikes.  I'm whipped all the time! :-\

Dealy

Re: Follow-up after FSR
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:47:56 pm »
First of all I am sure you looked in too the pros and cons of FSR. I am 9 months out of FSR also at Hopkins. Your question leaves room for debate because you never say what size-symptoms-hearing you went in with. FSR is not as accurate as CK or GK. However the fractionated protocol is meant to spare nerves from Radiation damage-even that can be debated by some. My tumor was 2.4CM and at 6 months has shown some signs of necrosis(dying) and is stable at 9 months. Symptoms have not ceased but somewhat intensified. Hearing is worse than when I first went in. More people on this site have opted for CK while others have chosen GK. I chose FSR to try to save my only hearing ear because I am an NF2. FSR is only accurate too 1 to 2MM. Not much but can make a difference. Ever one is different so do not take me as the prime thing that will happen with FSR. One other person on this site has had FSR at Hopkins (Uses handle WIndsong) check her profile. Any mopre questions please post or e-mail me personally. Thankls-Ron

Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:17:27 pm »
I just wanted to tag on to Ron's post to clarify the difference between a treatment protocol and the machine chosen to perform it. FSR , as he indicates, involves treating the AN with fractions or stages as opposed to a one dose treatment. The machines which are typically referred to as radiotherapy ( Novallis and others) platforms are less accurate than those known as radiosurgery dedicated (GK / CK) , thus the treatment is done over a large number of very short treatments ( usually 25-30). GK can typically only deliver a single dose due to the Head frame requirement, however CK can do either protocol. The vast majority of CK patients receive a FSR protocol of 3 treatments, although some get one or have had as many as 5. Only point of clarification is that the only machine that "can't" do treatment in fractions in GK and I put that in quotes since the machine can technically do it, but the headframe generally makes it difficult on a patient. It's semantics to some degree, but it would be incorrect to have categorized CK as not doing FSR

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:31:22 pm »
Hi, MinnieMia:

I completed 26 FSR treatments on October 16, 2006.  They followed microsurgery in June, 2006 to reduce my 4.5 cm AN tumor down to about 2.3 cm, making it suitable for radiation.  Unlike your situation, my surgery and FSR were planned, performed and followed up by my neurosurgeon and a radiation oncologist, working as a team. 

I had a 'baseline' MRI scan in December (the beginnings of tumor necrosis was noted) and in April, I'm scheduled for a follow-up MRI scan so my doctors can monitor the tumor and see whether it continues to show necrosis (cell death) - or not.  My neurosurgeon is confidently optimistic but he wants me to have an MRI scan every six months for the next few years, then once per year, probably for many years, if not the rest of my life (I'm 64). 

You'll very likely want to connect with a doctor who will take you as a patient, order and read the MRI scans on either a six-month or annual basis.  He'll look for signs of necrosis or growth and also evaluate any symptoms you may have or develop.  As for 'standards', I don't believe there really are any in a specific sense.  As you noted, so much about AN symptoms, even during recovery, is subjective as well as specific to each individual.  I would expect, following radiation treatments, that any pre-FSR symptoms would lessen, as mine did.  However, I had surgery first to relieve the pressure on my brain stem, which made my symptoms more intense.  Ultimately, had the tumor not been reduced, it would have become life-threatening.  The neurosurgeon also wanted to 'de-bulk' (hollow out) the tumor to make it more susceptible to radiation.  So far, so good (as my signature says).

I suggest that you find a physician who has some experience with acoustic neuroma tumors and try to become his or her patient.  Being independent is fine but in this situation, you need some professional assistance and certainly a semi-annual MRI, evaluated by a medical professional.  As for insurance, it takes years for a radiated tumor to completely 'disappear', if it ever does.  I would guess that after a few years, a physician might write a letter to an insurance company stating that your AN has been successfully treated and (hopefully) shows signs of necrosis.  That is probably about the best you can do.. Re-growth from radiation does occur, it is relatively rare and long-term studies can verify that, should an insurer deny you coverage.  However, some insurance companies will deny coverage for 'pre-existing' medical conditions, meaning that any AN-related medical problems will not be covered by your medical insurance policy.  That is an issue you would have to discuss - in detail - with an insurance agent to have it clarified.

I wish you well.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:21:54 pm »
Hello Mia,

Saw your post and the replies and right now would like to reply to all in this thread  but figured I will take it stages so to speak.

So how are you feeling after your treatment? Have you not been in touch with your treatment team? I hope it is going well! I'm surprised that your radiation doc and hospital hasn't suggested when you have a follow up mri? Did they not say? Did you have one at the six month point? That is what is "normal"... what I mean is that I can't think of a single radiation team out there for an acoustic neuroma whether it is GK or fsr or Ck that would not have a follow up and an mri. Typically it is 6 months after treatment. It's great that you organized your own treatment but frankly i don't understand why you wouldn't have automatically had a follow up mri scheduled from your team?

What did they say?

When is your follow up scheduled?

I am a bit perplexed here.

Hope you are doing fine, though. And hope you sort this out too. I am still scratching my head and wondering.

W.