Author Topic: Tinnitus in "good" ear!!  (Read 6952 times)

Top Op Man

Tinnitus in "good" ear!!
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:45:15 am »
Just going through fed up phase 2 years after translab.
My tinnitus in good ear (which developed along with it in "bad" 2 months after surgery) seems to be getting more noticeable. How many of you get bilateral tinnitus? Had no T prior to surgery, what a darn nuisance!!
Thanks
Gary
2.5 cm AN left ear Dec 04 age 34
Removed Axon and Macfarlane, Addenbrookes Skull Base Unit
Cambridge, UK
Translab April 05

Boppie

Re: Tinnitus in "good" ear!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:21:11 am »
Pre-op tinnitus was a buzz at night.  The tinnitus is different and pronounced since post op.  This must be from my good ear, as the Translab took my hearing nerve 15 months ago.  I do have slight loss in my "good" ear in the upper range.  So I wonder if this hissing is exascerbated by certain pitches and volumes.  One would hope for a filtering technology to come along.  Millions of people have tinnitus.  This would be a money maker for sure. 

I agree Bruce, my "fix" is to stay busy and keep some sort of masking sound going in the room to occupy my mind. Outdoors, nature sounds are pleasant.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:37:39 am »
Hi Gary,

My surgeon mentioned there are cases where the contralateral ear can develop "sympathetic" responses on the opposite side of the AN, but don't know if they can "test" for this or what treatment is called for.  

My contralateral ear started on and off ringing one year after surgery.  Within two months it began full-time in earnest.  Another annoying addition was pressure changes, "heart beat" noise when lying on that ear that comes and goes and at times the level of hearing comes and goes.  I have noticed a pattern of head pain following after these symptoms.  I became concerned and my surgeon (5-hours from me) recommended I see an ENT close to home.  Based on my additional symptoms of headaches and visual issues (flashing lights, blurring) they ran an ECOG and ABR.  They were thinking Menier's Disease.  I was also tested for nystagmus as my "field of vision" was like a bad video.  Bounced around while walking and would not hold still when I looked to my right (contralateral side).  Test results were negative for Menier's/Hydrops, positive for nystagmus (fancy word for my eyes don't hold still) which is consistent with the surgery, and my ABR showed abnormalities.  In the end the doctor only responded to the tinnitus coming from NSAID use for my headaches, but did not address the other ear/eye issues or better ways or doctor that would treat my headaches.  I continue with ibuprofen when I have head pain as this works and am tired of seeing multiple doctors (three) to help with headaches, visual disturbances, contralateral ear problems and a newer development--intermittent jaw pain.  I have felt "passed" around, was yelled at by one due to him feeling threatened because I brought in info from an official website--sigh, and another told me to seek psych counsel.  I treat myself now and vowed to my husband the next time I see another doctor I'll have to be unconscious.  

I ignor the tinnitus, get on with my life just fine dealing with "the new me" and am happy!  I will be having MRI end of this year and we'll see if there is a "new" development then.  
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »
Yeah, my good ear just started ringing this week.. I am hoping it's due the congestion I have and maybe Musinex???  I just took my first plane trip and noticed I was plugged in both ears most of the week, although now I'm back to normal.

I've only noticed the good ear three times and it goes away in a minute.  Left ear is the happy buzz that I am used too... Hope springs eternal I go into the ENT who diagnosed me next week. However if he gives me attitude, I'm moving my business elsewhere!

Arushi- I do think the male ego combined with medical profession can be really bad every so often. Nothing more an egotistical male doctor hates than a female patient who asks the hard questions.

(Okay for the men on the website this is not an endictment of ALL men :o- just the occassional doctor hehehe).
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:05:21 am »
Thanks pearchica, I know you can't see me, but I am smiliing!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:07:26 pm »
I don't know wheather to laugh or cry. I call my old doctor "Dr God" and the one  I go to now "Dr. Ego". I am sick of going to doctors. If I mention anything at all, they want to refer me to someone so they can get a piece of the action. If I fall for it and actually go to one of these referred doctors they know nothing either. Do these guys just quit learning when they get out of school?  ??? Doctors make me sick!!!!!!

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

katmumof3

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:29:17 pm »
I had retrosigmoid 11 months ago and have noticed my good ear playing a tune occasionally, now however it seems to be visiting more frequently and it comes with a fullness in that ear, my initial thought was, oh no not another an,  but after reading these posts i can breathe easier, phew! ;D  I'm due to have another MRI in Oct, so i guess i'll find out then for sure ;) 

Take care

Kat
2.5cm AN removed 26/4/06 retrosigmoid
awaiting follow up MRI

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:50 am »
I have it.  My an ear is much louder and often overshadows the right ear until I'm ready to sleep then the right ear decides it must be heard!  I started taking melatonin 3mg nightly which has helped with sleeping better and makes the t more manageable.  I sure wish there was something we could push to turn it off though :o)

mema

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 05:25:41 am »
Don't have tinnitus (buzzing) in my good ear but I do get occasion clicking sounds and windy sounds .  Also an occasional earache type feeling.  So thankful for this forum.  Lets you know your not the only one.
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Windsong

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:32 pm »
As i write this, for the first time in ages i notcie i do not have tinitus very ntocieably in my An ear which is amazing as it's been nuts lately. I do have it in my "good " ear... it went crazy sounding tinnitus the last weeks/ 2 mo or so in the good ear.
 I first noticed it in the g ear on ocassion post fsr... it went away then after some loud ringing or buzzing. But then this year it began noises all the time about half the volume of the An ear.... I've been said to have a sympathetic response, an atypical menieres, and since the mri showed some fluid in the inner ear where it shouldn't be , some form of cochlear hydrops as arushi metnioned... (fluid leaking out of the inner ear membranes)....

now for the life of me I have no idea why the tin is being quiet in the An ear right this minute as that is a first in oh about  2-8 years?....

gawd i pray for miracles as it's been nuts at night when trying to sleep the last while....
W.

W.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 05:43:48 pm »
Hi everyone:
   Right afer my translab surgery, the tinnitus in my AN ear went away!  My ENT warned me not to get to excited.  It retrned a few months later, with less intensity. However, after almost 2 years post-op, it has increased again and started "new" sounds. It now makes clicking sounds in my AN ear, and the regular old ringing tinnitus in my good ear. Other than annoying the heck out of me at times, the clicking is much more noticeable and annoying in my AN ear. I'm wondering if my BAHA will make it better or worse. I recently had my implant last month, so it will be a few more months until I get my processor.  Good luck to everyone!luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07