Author Topic: TransLab Approach  (Read 12466 times)

Boppie

Re: TransLab Approach
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 11:49:46 am »
If your tumor is not large, the mild cognitive issues will not be an issue after a few months.  Recovery from surgery and anesthesia will require a few weeks of good rest.  You will notice a big improvement in cogntion after that.  Most of the problems we experience after a surgery is integration of the sensory, balance, movement, and spatial knowledge that we have about our own bodies.   If you are facing SSD then you should look into the best hearing aid option.

Actually my thinking and problem solving processes were okay post op, but I needed a little more time and quieter spaces to do my thinking in than I had pre op.  I use a lot of graphics, handle textiles, and work in the visual arts now at 16 months post op and just as well as I worked pre op.  One third of my day is spent at a keyboard and monitor screen.  I want to stress the importance and value a bone conduction hearing aid will have for you, especially in a work place.

jimmy r

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:22 am »
I had my surgery 20 years ago and don't remember details but i can tell you that I have adjusted well to hearing out of 1 ear. You learn to postion yourself, tilt your head so you can hear. It can be frustrating at times, especially at parties or noisy restaurants. I think the best strategy is to tell people you are deaf in 1 ear.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 08:26:47 pm »
Going Mono and leaving Stereo has been tough for me, I need to pay attention to speech articulation allot (family therapist)-My 2nd language is Spanish too, and I find myself having to say Disculpa-repita please more often than not.

Listening to Music has been the most difficult adjustment though for me since it was such an important "support" in my life. :-\
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

webwrestler

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 06:20:22 pm »
Hey all,

Haven't visited in a while..been busy with my pre-op this week. I am having translab on May 1...only a few days away. Surprisingly I am quite excited and looking forward to getting this over with. My doctors expect a full recovery. We'll see...:)

Wish me luck, i'll let ya know how it goes.

Justin

jerseygirl

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 07:06:31 pm »
Justin,

Good luck with your surgery and I share your excitement because I just scheduled my second surgery for a recurrence today. Hopefully, it will be the end of our tumors without major consequences! wishing you a speedy recovery.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »
Hi Justin, I am 3 months post translab, my AN was 3cm. I am growing accustomed to the ssd, have a bit of an "ocean roar" after having been in noisy places, but the only cognitive symptoms I experienced were having trouble reading because the words would jump a bit on the page, and I only watched TV with the volume turned off. It was as though my mind was overwhelmed with both picture and sound. Sometimes I would look at the just the pictures in a magazine. It lasted about a week. My head doesn't feel any different becuse of the fat pack. Just kinda dead and numb around and behind the ear. My doc says this will get better over time. At 3 mos, I'm probably 98% normal:-)  Best wishes, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

cookiesecond

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 12:09:11 am »
Hi Justin,
You are in my thoughts and prayers for a great outcome and a speedy recovery.
Take care,
Lynn

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:00 am »
I'll be thinking about you Justin on May 1st.  Try to relax and it will soon be over.  Look forward to hearing from you when you are ready to update us on your recovery.  Bless you and your doctors. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Shrnwldr

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 10:32:07 am »
Yes Justin Good luck. You are and will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery.  I will also be anxious to hear from you post-op and to hear your successful recovery. ~ Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007