Author Topic: here's my story  (Read 3613 times)

Timjk

here's my story
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:20 am »
I will try to make this a "Readers Digest" version. I had surgery Feb.7th for the right side AN 3.3 CM plus Chiari Malformation surgery at the same time. Dr. Vrionis was able to remove 80% of the AN and I woke up with my hearing in the recovery room. God is Good !!! I was supposed to be in the hospital 4 days and then go to a rehab to gain my strength. I am paraplegic and live alone,so full strength is a must. Anyway,2 days after surgery, my digestive system went to "sleep".. shut down.. I was 14 days total at the hospital getting that corrected. I have never been that sick in my life. The doctors actually discussed removing my colen and putting in a colostomy bag. Anyway that got better.. So I went to Healthsouth Rehab for a week during which time there was fluid leak which would not stop. Back to Moffitt for a second surgery. They put a Ventricular Periphrial Shunt into my brain...not just inside my skull but into the center of my brain !! That is where the fluid pool is located. The shunt relieves the pressure from fluid buildup. After 6 days at Moffitt it was back to Rehab for 2 weeks. I came home this past Friday.. Three things I would like to bring out..
1)..I did not lose my hearing after the AN removal
2).. I have not had ONE headache in 6 weeks from either surgery
3).. God DOES perform miracles.. sometimes they are instant.sometimes they are surgical.. I am a surgical miracle !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all your prayers and concerns for my recovery..

Tim Kimball
Surgery Feb.7th at Moffitt,Tampa. Removed right side AN 3.3 CM plus Chiari Malformation decompression.Second surgery Feb.23rd Ventricle Periphirial Shunt to correct CSF leak.. NO HEARING LOSS.. NO HEADACHES... GOD IS GOOD !!!

jerseygirl

Re: here's my story
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:15:29 am »
Tim,

What an amazing and inspirational story! So glad you are home now. Best wishes always.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

er

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:50:56 am »
God bless :) :) He does work wonders
er

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:58:41 am »
Tim... I am floored.. truly floored and amazed and so dang tickled you are doing well. Despite all the initial post surgical issues, you thrive and yes, miracles do happen.  As another Chiari 1 patient, I have been praying for the decompression surgery to go well and thrilled that you are now on a wonderful road to wellness.

I send wishes for a speedy recovery, and huggles for continued wellness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 08:10:44 am »
FANTASTIC!  It is so good to read a good post and a good outcome.  Miracles do still happen!  You know most of the things we fear the most never happen.  God is so good. 

There are several newbies on here that need to know there is "life after AN". 
God bless you,
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:47:05 pm »
Hi Tim,

It's wonderful that you've done so well in your recovery.  It's heartwarming to hear of such good results, expecially since it could easily have been the other way around.  I guess the POWERS THAT BE decided that you have enough on your plate without any additions added to it.  Best of luck to you in your continued recovery.

Sue in Vancouver USA
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:48:44 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:43:14 pm »
Hey Tim:   NO HEARING LOSS ?!!!!!!!
               NOT EVEN A teensy weensy HEADACHE ?!!!!!!

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!
               Best wishes on continued healing,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »
Hi Tim:

I remember that post of yours about headaches right before your surgery.  You asked for people to PLEASE write if they did not get them.  Well, now you can answer someone when they post the same question.  ZERO headaches and hearing to boot.  Congrats!!!

Thanks for the story Tim.  I am so happy for you that things are finally going the way they should.  And, thanks also for your story being the readers digest version.  Otherwise, I would have had to read for hours.  ::)

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines