Author Topic: No sign of AN  (Read 3073 times)

Ready4Answers

No sign of AN
« on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »
Hi!
Well, It's been over a month since my first post and I guess this will be my last.  I had my MRI Wednesday last week and my results are negative....for tumors, or anything else.  Thank goodness for the doctor's receptionist!  She called me with the results at 9am yesterday.  I am relieved to be through that phase of my "diagnosis".  I see my GP on Thursday to make a plan to persue other treatments.  My ear pain, fullness and ringing continue and I am open and willing to discuss other treatments with him.  I have seen an occupational therapist for 5 sessions and have learned a lot about facial nerves and muscles.  I don't know if OT treaments will be the answer but it is more than I had before I started pushing my ENT for answers.

So, to ALL of you out there; you are an amazing group of folks who have inspired me to ask for an appropriate medical diagnosis and have given me the courage to continue to seek answers to my medical issue.  Keep up the great work!  This is an amazing and informative forum.  I wish you all the very best.

Fair winds and following seas,
Grace   8)

Palace

• Palace
Re: No sign of AN
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:08:24 pm »
Dear Grace:

Congratulations!

Do let us know what the final diagnosis is.

It is the waiting and not knowing that is sometimes, worse.

Thanks for letting us know know you are doing.

The best of luck,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:32:54 pm »
Grace:

Congratulations!  :) 

Thanks for the good news.  I trust you'll find some answers - soon - and a doctor who can effectively treat you. 

I wish you all the best.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

flier58

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:09:50 pm »
Hi Grace,
I am certainly happy to hear they didn't find any "buggers" in your head.  You are still welcome to this site and share your findings.  I am sure that there will be many new, yet undiagnosed folks who may be relieved to hear that symptoms like yours don't mean tumor.
All the best to you,
Flier58

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:38 pm »
Grace

Great news... wishing you continued wellness as you work towards your final answers... be well. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:23:44 pm »
Hi Grace and congrats to you!! 

Best of luck - Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:49:37 pm »
Grace...

It's always nice when someone gets rejected from our exclusive club. Take that as a blessing. I hope the rest of your diagnosis is smooth and uneventful. Take care...

Bruce

Dang, was hoping I'd get rejected too.. such is life :D

P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Ready4Answers

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:10:04 pm »
 Hello again and thank you for your kind words of support.  As I read through the latest posts from those "not yet diagnosed" I am inspired to continue to check in and provide updates as flier58 suggested.  My Occupational Therapist has been a God-send!  She has discovered things with me that I didn't know were trouble:  clenching my jaw, jaw alignment not quite correct, right leg not in alignment with the rest of my body...etc.  Her main focus has been with my jaw muscles and trigger point therapy to loosen things up a bit.  I will say that the fullness in my ear has diminished considerably and I do not experience the ear pain that was becoming more than annoying.  I still have every bit of the ringing in my ears but I am hopeful that continued treatments with the OT will reduce (hopefully ELIMINATE) that.

I was not able to establish a good relationship with my ENT so I have chosen not to go back to him.  But this has not stopped me from seeking answers elsewhere.  I managed to get a referral to the OT through my dentist, who, by the way, didn't think that my ear problems could be related to any dental issues.  But, he made the referral.  How did I find out about the OT?  I asked around & told my story to enough people that one day someone said "You know, I was referred to an Occupational Therapist through my dentist for..."  I have a great relationship my dentist so the referral was no problem.  My GP has also been supportive in the OT treatments and provided an additional referral so that we can treat my lower body alignment as well.  To briefly clarify; my treatments consist of muscle manipulation and massage specific to my jaw and neck.  When she finds those trigger points it can make you jump from her table but it is worth the effort to stick with it.  In addition, the OT has sent information to my dentist and ENT so that they can become more aware of symptoms such as mine.

I have yet to be officially diagnosed with "something".  But it's beginning to come together.  Years of stress, carried in my shoulders and jaw (clenching), could be the culprit.  Tensing muscles along the way until they were in knots, creating inflammation in the muscles which then press on nerves, it's been an amazing study in human anatomy!  This type of condition has also been called TMJ...but we don't use that because it is a misunderstood diagnosis and insurance companies don't like to pay :-\  Next week I will be getting a custom-fitted mouth guard to help with my jaw clenching because I just don't recognize it when I'm doing it.  You can search the web until you are cross-eyed looking for your own diagnosis but one of the most informative sites I have found regarding my condition is www.tmjfacialpain.com

Please don't consider this information to be medical advice.  It's my 3 year search for help that has led me down this path.  Those of you with a diagnosis of AN are amazing  and I do not want to diminish your "adventures".  I hope that by sharing my story I can help someone else so that they will not have to endure a 3 year search for help.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me...

Grace