Author Topic: I got "zapped" yesterday!  (Read 7002 times)

Sefra22

I got "zapped" yesterday!
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:26 pm »
I had my GK treatment yesterday. Boy oh boy, what a loooooong day! I got into the Gamma Knife center at 7:00 am and didn't get to my hospital room until 7:30 pm. The headframe did hurt a lot more than I thought it would, but even though the discomfort is still fresh in my memory, I'm glad I made the choice I did. Because I had to travel about 200 miles for treatment, I wanted to be able to have it done in one day.
One of the hardest parts of the day was not being able to wear my glasses with the headframe on. I didn't think I was going to have a problem since my frames are small, but I couldn't fit them in. Eventually, I was able to wear one side in, and one side on the outside of the frame. In hindsight, I would have brought my contacts, because there were several hours between the MRI and CT scan before I had the actual GK.
The drug they gave me before placing the headframe on hit me quite hard, but I am a lightweight for such things. The nurse administered the drug, then went to get my husband (Ric). By the time they came back I was laughing. When Ric asked what I was laughing about. I said "Your face is all yellow, and there's two of her", as I pointed to the sole nurse in the room.

The funniest thing though was when Dr. Noren was placing the headframe. He asked me if I felt any pain. I was squeezing my pantleg as hard as I could, and told him "Yes, I feel pain". Then I heard him say, "Do you feel any PLEASURE?", and I'm thinking "Is this guy some sort of sadist"? But I just said "Uh, no, no pleasure at all!", then the nurse started laughing and said "He said PRESSURE, do you feel any PRESSURE?"
"Oh yes, yes I feel pressure", I said. :-[  Oh well, between my hearing loss and his accent I guess it could have been worse. :D

All in all I am surprised how good I feel. This morning I woke up in the hospital feeling like I do everyday. As the day has worn on I do feel a little pain where the screws went in, but ice packs have helped. I do feel a little "woozy" when I walk around, so I am taking it easy....might as well milk it for a little while...... ;)

Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

flier58

Re: I got "zapped" yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:03:30 pm »
Hi Lisa,
It was a good while since I  laughed  as hard as when I read your story of "pain and pleasure".  I had tears in my eyes while howling by the computer.  My 4 y.o. son looked at me like there was something really weird going with me.  Forgive me my laughter as I know that what you experienced is not funny but on the other hand it's nice to know you made somebody laugh.
I am just happy that you are done and doing well. 
Flier58

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:27:31 pm »
Hi Sefra

Yes, the experience you told us was pretty funny!  I'm sorry the headframe bothered you.  I felt the "pleasure", but didn't experience any pain that I remember.  And, yes, the next few weeks the pin sites were sensitive and the anesthetic solution caused weird sensations or lack thereof on my skull. 

Sounds like you had an interesting "trip"!

Best wishes for your continuing recovery.

Sue in Vancouver USA
near the "other Portland"
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 05:33:57 pm »
I'm glad to make somebody laugh. I try to find a little humor in everything, I especially love to laugh at myself. :P
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:06 am »
GREAT!  I love the story, that should go into the book of laughs for ANers!!!!  Good laugh, thank you. And yes, it's a fundamental requirement to laugh at all this from time to time, otherwsie we might take ourselves wayyyyy too seriosuly, and that is bad for recovery!

Ciao, Lorenzo  :)

marystro

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:17:48 pm »
How funny!!!   ;D ;D

Reminds me of the joke that my 9-year old was telling me the other day: A Vietnamese priest was telling an American perist at a retired priest conference that "I live in misery".  After 3 times back and forth (not sure why all jokes are always 3 times), the Vietnamese priest finally said, "I am happily living in misery".  It finally dawned on the American priest that his dear friend from Vietnam was actuallY happily living in Missouri!!!

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:17 pm »
Lisa,
 Congrats on being a "postee".  The best part is having it over with.  You story reminds of the time my teenage niece misread a board game question, saying "orgasm" instead of "organism".  We were all speechless, including her grandmother, while she blushed profusely.  We all tried not to laugh, young teens can be so sensitive, but it didn't work.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 08:11:14 am »
Sefra, congrats on your "postie" status, you hawt ticket! :)  So thrilled that you did well and keeping that humour up!  Now, onward and upward to that tumor death!  Hang in there and I'm cheering you on!

HUGGLES!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
Congrats!  Now that you have that behind you, you are on your way to a better future.
Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 04:57:56 pm »
Lisa- TOO DAMN FUNNY! I laughed long and hard, a belly aching laugh over your story- this really does need to go into the AN Hall of FAME!  Thank you for making us all laugh over what really is a fairly stressful situation.  Sorry you had problems with the head frame- but at least it is all behind you now. Take care of yourself- and go get more PLEASURE and less PRESSURE!  Happy St. Patty's- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 05:17:04 pm »
Congratulations on your treatment!!    I laughed at your head frame story   ;D

When they did mine they had to make an adjustment to the head frame after I woke up and I kept waiting to hear this loud “CRACKâ€?  when they tightened the screws!  I kinda felt like Frankenstein’s monster for a moment there… “It’s alive!...It’s alive!!!â€?

Here’s to a quick death of your tumor….cheers!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!