Author Topic: BAHA Results  (Read 4999 times)

jimmy r

BAHA Results
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:42:59 pm »
I am one of 10 Acoustic Neuroma reoccurences from the House Ear Institute. I have lived 20 years with single sided deafeness and while it is a nuisance, I can't say it has ruined my quality of life. I am scheduled for surgey in April and I am considering the BAHA which can be inplanted at the same time. I am curious about  what other people that have this device think.  It sure is tempting. What are the pros and cons?
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: BAHA Results
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:27:43 pm »
I had the BAHA done at house..

If I was younger, (single and more worried about my looks) .. I would not have it done .... If I was older .. and retired .. I would not have had it done .. but I'm middle aged ... married.. and really don't care about the looks of it ... I hear better at work (in a office) , If worked outside as a contractor or something I would think twice.  When I watch TV without it.. my wife complains about the volume.... and when I have it on .. she's turnning it up! ....

the first 3 months .. it looks horrible ..(because they shave a spot and its a little "scabby") .. and now it's hardly noticeable ... its not your "real" ear ... its wont be a "oh my god its wonderfull" ... but the "huhs?" will be fewer.. and you find you will miss it if you forget to wear it some day ..(I have done this) ...

the short answer... I would do it again in a heartbeat  ;D !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:05:15 pm »
hey Jeof, can you go swimming with that thing? Ive seen images of it embedded in skin but always wondered if one would electrocute themselves if they jump in a lake, instantly turning themselves into a boiled egg or something.

So like one day you decide to relax in the tub....

but sink below the mastoid, near where the electric mic is "mounted"...AYYYY!!

5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:13:39 am »
Hey Ixta:  that bottom picture's gonna give me nightmares !!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:09:17 am »
Jimmy,

I got my BAHA abuttment installed at the time off my AN surgery 2 months ago. I get my device hooked up April 5. I have adjusted to the SSH better than I expected. I think the good ear just takes over and starts operating for 2. But I still miss hearing somethings. I was worried about the appearance at first but after all I have gone through it doesn't matter anymore. Like Joef said it's a ugly square in your head for 3 mts. till hair can grow over it. I used to wear a bandage over it but now I really don't care. I had more people asked what the bandage was for than what is that bald place in your head. Also the BAHA was included in the surgery from the hospital and my insurance paid.

Good Luck, Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

jimmy r

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:54:30 am »
Thanks for the information. I am  not overly concerned about my appearance but do care a bit. If you can grow your hair over the hearing aid than that sounds ok. Any infections or other complications? I heard about the BAHA a year ago but decided not to do it becasue I didn't want the surgery. Now that I have to have surgery, I am seriously considering it.  I have lived with the deafness for 20 years but it sure would be nice not to have miss out on a lot.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »

its not to get the processor wet .., you take it off in the rain or showing ..etc.. It "pops" in or out like a lego ...

the "bolt" stays in your head and you can swim or shower (good thing too!) ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

puffycheeks

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:29:45 pm »
Hi, I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow at St. Vincent's.  I have a reoccuring tumor and it came back bigger after exactly 1-1/2 years from my 1st surgery.  I am a patient of the House Ear Clinic.  I am also getting the BAHA and can not wait.  They will put in the abutment tomorrow also.  I guess since I went through this before, I am more prepared.  Taking my laptop, movies, puzzles and UNDERWEAR..... ;D
8mm x 5mm x 5mm on left side
diagnosed Aug. 2005
Middle Fossa Surgery 11/8/05; House Ear Clinic
Reoccurence diagnosed 3/2/07
1.5cm x 5.4mm on left side;
Translab Approach 5/8/07; House Ear Clinic