Author Topic: Facial tightness  (Read 9341 times)

Jeanlea

Facial tightness
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:49:28 pm »
Does anyone else notice this?  I get a tight feeling in my face from time to time.  Shortly after that I notice that I have a little bit more movement.  My face was feeling tight yesterday.  Today I can see it "twitching" in my cheek area.  I'm at the point now where I have a "Mona Lisa" smile.  I feel that is good progress since I started with no movement at all. 

I also notice that when I run my eye and nose appear to run.  The nose I'm pretty sure about, but the eye is more difficult to tell.  Today I ran 3 miles outside for the first time.  It felt really good.  My eye seemed to be pretty wet when I was done.  Wish I could tell for sure.  Maybe it's just sweat running in there.  I did have goggles on though.  Either way I'm impressed with myself for running 3 miles even if it was at a snail's pace. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

jerseygirl

Re: Facial tightness
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »
Jean,

It really sounds like your facial nerve is regenerating. Congrats! You inspired me to attack my treadmill!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:21:52 pm »
Hi Jean:  I've noticed only a little tightness now & then along the chinline only toward the ear, not up front,
             but then you're way ahead of me with tone & now movement ?!!!!   Great news Jean !!
             Let's hope the ole nerve keeps 'doing it's thing'
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jts

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:51:51 pm »
My surgery was on June 8th of 2006.  I had facial paralysis.  It has been an interesting year of observing changes coming at a glacial pace.  I just decided recently that the best way to describe the feeling in my face (cheek) is that it is like the beginnings of Novocaine wearing off after dental work.  The tightness in my cheek actually seems to be more pronounced lately.  I've noticed some relationship between being tired and my eye wanting to squint quite a bit.  I have had ghost images in my affected eye - but don't know if that is caused by the AN surgery or by early development of cataracts.  My ophthalmologist has not figured it out either.  At times it seems like it is easier to just let it go shut than to work to keep it open.  I also have had both tearing in my eye and a runny nose every time I eat.  It has become standard procedure to sit down for a meal with a napkin for my lips, a Kleenex (or two) for my nose and another Kleenex for my eye.

But you know what?  After reading about the issues that a lot of folks posting to this site have, I'm in pretty good shape and really shouldn't complain.  I also have worked myself back to 60 minutes of walking/running on a treadmill.  Still hold on for balance, but I don't mind.

Take care - John
58 year old male
Surgery June 8, 2006  Middle Crania Fossa
Dr. Bruce Gantz at Univ IA Hosp
13 months post op tinnitus AN side, mild unstable balance, slight lack of facial muscle control AN side, slight lisp, 10% hearing loss, eye and nose run when eating. Doing really well!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:43:07 pm »
Hi John:  I don't get the runny nose (yet), but the tears come at THEIR will, not mine !  Wondering if you've had any EMGs while waiting for faical nerve regenerating ?
Best wishes for continued healing,   Nancy   p.s.   Wish I could find the motivation to get off the couch & start working out......  I've got to hand it to all of you who DO exercise daily, hats off to you !!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:14:29 pm »
Congratulations Jean on your facial movements. Your movements give me hope too. I know it's still too early for me but to see a twitch would be wonderful. I still can't move anything on my right side. As for as the runny nose, mine only runs when I eat. My eye never tears up but never dries out unless I'm outside without my patch. I have started walking on the treadmill since my surgery but no where near 3 miles yet.

Good Luck with your recovery and keep us informed.
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)