Author Topic: gamma knife vs cyber knife vs proton beam  (Read 8038 times)

tsl

gamma knife vs cyber knife vs proton beam
« on: March 09, 2007, 01:01:06 pm »
I'm currently on "watch and wait" because my an is small.  I've been doing research in small doses because there is so much information (some contradictory) out there.  This support group has been very helpful to me.

When the time comes for me to take action with my an, I'm not leaning towards the surgery option at this time.  I find the possible complications, recuperation time pretty scary.

I would appreciate hearing from folks who have chosen radio-surgery options.  How did you make your decision?  Any advice.

I live in Massachusetts, about 2 hours from the major Boston hospitals.  The one thing that has come through very clearly from the different discussions is that it's important to have drs. who have had a lot of experience with acoustic neuromas plus the equipment involved with radiation/radio-surgery.

Thanks.
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: gamma knife vs cyber knife vs proton beam
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »
Hi Teresa,

Well, another Bastonian here and glad to help as well.  (I'm out on Rt 128/I-95 on the Northshore).

As you may know by now, Boston is rich in treatment facilities..... and all radio-options you note are available to us locally. We are truly blessed.

I know many of us have had all the treatments available in town... from me and Cyberknife at Beth Israel... to BostonJake and Proton at MGH... to ellenvig and GammaKinfe at Providence... to jcinma and FSR.

there really isn't one particular thread in the Radio-forum here that outlines all of them but... suggestion would be... grab a glass of your favorite drink... sit back and peruse the Radiation/Radiosurgery forum. You'll see topics with specifics noted (GK vs CK or radio at a particular location or etc....)  I know many of us are willing to talk as well, via email or telephone, regarding our specific situations and why we chose what we did.  I know the info here can be so overwhelming, but speaking to others about the pros and cons to their paticular situations may be of help.   Talking one-on-one sometimes may help prevent that overwhelming feeling...

Hang in there... and please keep an eye open in the "AN Community" forum for our next ANA Website New England Brunch, usually held at Maxwell Silverstein's in Worcester. Should be next month... would love to have you join us.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Re: gamma knife vs cyber knife vs proton beam
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 08:29:01 pm »
Hey TSL: I like ppearl214 idea: take a drink and read..you have time to figure it out- although some people might disagree with me, in many ways we are the lucky ones in that our tumors are benign and we have the luxury to research.  I have a thread about my CK experience (although at Stanford.)  Are you having any adverse side effects? Loss of balance? Annoying tinntinitus  ( I have yet to spell that word correctly).  Annoying I mean really loud or high pitched ringing ( mine actually is a low hum...but I think that has to do with the specific frequency loss I have in my left ear)...

The radiation section is really good- it helped me with my desicion making process.  Take care, keep us updated, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys