Author Topic: URGENTHELP/gasp Wife's SNOring...  (Read 7798 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
URGENTHELP/gasp Wife's SNOring...
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:56:15 pm »
Before the AN, I slept with earplugs stuffed to my brain on each side,

then I covered up with shotgun protectors..

This would "dampen" the onslaught of horror just a bit though..

Then a tumor hit me...

I have tried my best to find the positive side of loosing one side hearing, and yes! it has been to bring more peace at night! my left side is gone, so I have since move to the right side of the bed !! woot! :P

but alas,

The problem continues via BONE CONDUCTION! :(

HOW DO OTHERS COPE!?

I am a one eared victim of Nocturnal violence!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:44:07 pm by ixta »
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: URGENTHELP/gasp Wife's SNOring...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 01:48:01 am »
Get her those nose strip thingies.  Maybe that would help.  And they have some kind of spray thing now too.  Hope that helps.  Your post is hilarious, by the way... ;D

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 04:46:31 am »

has she seen a doctor? they have sleep studies ... where watch you sleep and try to help...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:47 am »
I can sure relate to your post >:(  not only does my husband snore, but so does our black lab. Between the the two of the them I rarely get more than a couple of hours sleep and am extremely exhuasted all day. I forced my husband to see a doctor, and after some testing, they concluded that the back of his throat had excess tissue and lasered it off. That was 4 years ago, and it seemed to be fine up until last year when the horror started again.  I use the foam plugs and also a musician's ear plug and try to bury my head in the pillow, but that really doesn't work because I can't sleep in the same position all night. I also use a fan for background noise, which  helps with the tinnitus, but not the snoring.

The only way I can get him to stop snoring for just a few minutes is by touching him with my extremely cold feet :o and then I head to the couch >:(

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 10:25:26 am »
I snore.... my pug snores.... my spouse is in trouble when I finally get to co-habitate with him.  I think I'll buy him the ear plugs as well..... he's too tall for the couch unless I get sent to the couch.  :o
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 11:15:10 am »
Guys? Use wax ear plugs. Cuts out all noise below jet engine roar, which should cover most us males' snoring! Works. I have a different solution, go to bed at different times, so the snoring is staggered, I snore in the evening, she snore (gently) in the mornings when I get up. Perfect coordination!

:)

Ciao, Lorenzo

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:26:58 pm »
I am the one who snores in this family. Poor husband.  I wake myself up snoring and go to my other bedroom.:). Saves a marriage. I just never know where I will wake up. I have horrible allergies and am taking shots for it. After more than 6 months I am seeing some improvement. I think this must be a curse my first husband put on me. I spent many sleepless nights with him and his snoring. He remarried a deaf woman....so help me a true story.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 05:32:46 pm »
My wife uses ear plugs. She uses just one and lays the "unplugged" ear on her pillow. She's so used to wearing the ear lug now that even if I'm away she still needs the plug in her ear so she can fall asleep.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 02:50:25 pm »
IXTA as always you crack me up!  Both my husband and I snore occassionally (most notably after scotch or wine), he usually just nudges me and I go to the deaf side. Likewise I nudge him. We both are low volume heavy breathing, not the chain stoking variety that my Dad had when I was growing up. My Dad's was so bad that my friend from Montana asked me "I didn't think California had bears- I heard the most terrible racket through the wall last night".  I had to explain that this was the AR Thomas symphony that he experienced.

Lorenzo's right- wax plugs work great- I use them for swimming... Take care- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:20:15 pm »
You will get better acoustic blocking from a foam rubber pillow that is firm and densly made.  Use of a poly fill pillow in any density is not enough acoustic block.  If I can't get him to stop snoring by rolling to the far side, I nudge him to go sleep in the other bedroom...works like a charm for both of us!  His Dad could snore the walls down.  My son and one of his twin boys snore like Grandpa.  My smart daughter-in-law has a second bed for herself!

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:35 pm »
Another solution would be to buy one of the "white sound" machines.  We have one from Radio Shack and it works great.  Some nights I just move it between our pillows and it definitely helps.  We even have one that works on batteries to take with us when we are away from home. 
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

kat

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 06:30:01 am »
Hi Everyone

I find it hard to admit that I snore ! Apparently in the last 3 years or so it has gotten pretty loud and many nights I wake up seeing my husband marching out of the bedroom with pillows under his arm and a martyred look on his face to sleep in the spare bedroom . I wonder if my AN has anything to do with it allthough my husband would grumpily remark that these days I blame everything on the AN including my absentmindedness. He thinks that it is all just old age ! (We are both 58 )If anyone finds a cure for snoring I would really be interested to hear . I might add that over the last 30 years my husband has snored on and off and I have used wax earplugs and just got back to sleep . However he says that he cannot bear having anything in his ears and what if someone broke into the house he would not hear it and we would be murdered in our beds most likely . 

Regards  Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 02:08:04 pm »
well thanks to all your posts, I now know I am not alone,

Last night, I found out that a pillow THWACK across my wifes head did not stop the snoring but only excacerbated the problem.

I will try the wax per lorenzo and perhaps some deep transcendental meditation to "seperate myself" and "welcome the longing".
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06