Author Topic: Length of Treatment??  (Read 3760 times)

Katrider

Length of Treatment??
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:55:21 pm »
Hello everybody.....  My Radiation Oncologist has suggested a 30 day radiation therapy treatment plan for me.  Has anybody had a thirty day treatment plan and if so your ideas on such??? Thank You!!! 

Mark

Re: Length of Treatment??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:37 pm »
Katrider,

The 30 day FSR protocol is usually done with radiotherapy machines such as Novalis and a couple of others. This primarily reflects the reduced accuracy of these machines and therefore reduces the dose level and treatment times accordingly. True radiosurgery machines usually are done in one dose ( GK or CK) or 3 fractions (CK). The radiosurgery machines  utilize higher GY ( Gray) does levels in each treatment, but actually deliver less cumulative radiation than the 30 day protocol. There are several active posters who have gone through this protocol and have done well that can better answer your questions, but the reason for the 30 days is a reflection of the limited capacity of the machine your doctors have and how it has to be used in this treatment application as opposed to other machines.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 08:38:35 pm »
Hey Katrider: check out the whole radiation section- at first the research is overwhelming but if you pace yourself- you will be surprised at how much of an expert you will become by the end of it!  Good luck- Mark actually was one of my cheerleaders through out this whole process.  I have CK treatment at Stanford- three days, 40 ish minutes each session.  Very easy compared to the research involved in making my desicion.  Take care of yourself- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Katrider

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:04:27 pm »
Thanks pearchica, I've been doing alot of research.  The decision as to what one should do isnt easy, thats for sure.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:45:55 am »
Hi Katrider,

the info Mark provided is on the money based on my research as well.... so, I cannot add much more... but hang in there. I know the decision making process can be exceptionally difficult, but I have faith in you to do what is best for you.

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"