Author Topic: whats your AN size?  (Read 9467 times)

thecakes

whats your AN size?
« on: March 04, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »
  I was never told the size of my tumor.  They said about the size of a quarter.  I don't know how many cm.  Gee, I feel left out.

Jeanlea

Re: whats your AN size?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 03:29:18 pm »
Initially I was told that my tumor was 3.5 cm.  Sometime after surgery my husband told me that the doctors said my tumor was bigger than they thought while they were doing surgery.  But I don't know how much bigger.  I call it 3.5 plus.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 04:21:05 pm »
When I met with Dr. Noren last month, I found out that my tumor is acutally bigger than I was first told. He told me that most radiologists only measure the the rounded part, and not the "tail" of the tumor. Initially, I was told it was 15mm X 17mm. He said it is actually 16mm X 23mm when you include the "tail".
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:56:43 pm »
First the doc said "almost 4 cm" then I've heard him say "over 4 cm". After reading the surgical report, there is no official word in there about the size. I just know it was big.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Obita

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:51:35 am »
2.5 cm here.  They told me it was the size of a dime.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

rebarman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:51 am »
"2.5 cm here.  They told me it was the size of a dime."

Typical Dr's...have no idea how to use the metric system.

:D

2.54 cm is equal to 1 inch. Yours would have been the size of a quarter, not a dime.

But as we all know, size doesn't matter, right?
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Obita

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:01:53 am »
whoops.......maybe I heard dime and they said quarter?? (it was three years ago, after all) I just remember them saying there is no room for ANYTHING extra in your head and that that is why I felt like my head was going to explode.  I do know, the hole in my head is the size of a half dollar!!  And, if my ear was not there, it would make a mighty nice golf tee.

How are you doing rebarman?
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

rebarman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:18 am »
Or the Dr. was thinking of his HMO plan, where he bills a quarter, but accepts a dime, because that is the negotiated rate.   :D

I trust Dr's in many areas, but when it comes to sizes of things, I'm not sure about them sometimes. They said the area of my belly where they would take the fat to fill in the hole would only be about 2 inches long, and it's more like 6 inches. I told him that he should have taken the fat packing from my rear end, since everybody is always calling me butt-brain anyway.

Like you said, there is no room for anything extra so it didn't matter how big/small, just get it out of there.

Things are going pretty good here. and I promise not to rub it in that we will be having 70 deg. weather here by the end of the week.

1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Obita

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 02:22:15 pm »
Thanks for not rubbing it in rebarman!! 

My belly harvest sites are many and long.  It looks like I was in a knife fight.   ;D
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:13:02 pm »
My neurosurgeon measured my AN tumor - from the MRI scan, of course - right in front of me.  He called it 4.5 centimeters (1.77 inches) and I believed him.  He seemed to be very good at math and showed me the calculations he used to determine the tumor size so I saw no reason to quibble.  He did tell me that my AN was 'very large' but that it was operable....and it was.   :)

Jim
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:31:41 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dfcman

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 04:31:55 pm »
5.3+ cm
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

elise

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:19 pm »
Lisa - yours sounds something like mine, and also your confused tone sounds something like mine...of course there's lots of similarities between all of the AN reports , but I'm a newcomer and I am confused by the measiurement as you seem to be. I am also confused about the references to the different locations and nerves with their accompanying symptomatic expectations.Also by all the abbreviations..learning them slowly. Maybe you know of a site that explains this kind of stuff to beginners?  Especially the map.I have spent 5 years being oblivious, it's time to learn about what's going on.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 02:03:04 pm »
hi elise and Lisa,

Maybe this webpage (here on the ANA website) will help.....not sure if you already saw it. 

http://www.anausa.org/what_is_an.html

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 07:12:22 pm »
and here is another one.....this was written by four ANers.

http://anworld.com/     

If you click on "size and position of the tumor" link you can see how an AN usually grows.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

er

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:29:45 am »
Hi
My was a small one, a little over a 1/2 inch I do have my MRI x-rays and the mass looks bigger. 1.5x1.9 on my left side
eve