Author Topic: I've got the new TransEar  (Read 6555 times)

matti

I've got the new TransEar
« on: February 26, 2007, 06:18:49 pm »
The day has finally arrived and I've been wearing TransEar 270 for a few hours. Couple of things are different with this new model:

1. connector wire is soft and more comfortable, mine is a little too long at 1 1/2 inches, so we are ordering a shorter wire. It hangs to my ear lobe.
2. outer shell is slightly smaller and does not extend out of the ear as far
3. tab for easy removal

So far I am not noticing a benefit on volume 2 or 3, but do notice some on the highest volume of 4 (Same as before). I will give this a few days, as it takes the brain a day or so to process new information. I am having a problem with extreme vibration inside the ear canal, I did not have this with the other two TransEars. I have a call into my audiologist and hopefully we can figure it out quickly. It vibrates "wildly" when I speak or hears any type of sound. That's great because it tells me it's working, but I don't think I can tolerate the feeling for very long.

Audiologist just called and heading back up there, will finish my report as soon as I get back.

I'm back and fortunate that my audiologist is only 10 minutes away, I have a feeling I will be back there again this week. She reprogrammed it to help reduce the vibration, but I am still getting some on the higher setting, which I seem to need to get any benefit.

Jean - my advice since your audiologist is further away, ask her if you can go outside with it.  The office is so quiet that it is hard to a get a good feel for it. I did not notice the extent of my vibration until I had left the building. Also while you are there, keep plugging your good ear and have someone talk to you, this also helps to establish your volume setting. Alternate between the two program settings also, as we needed to do some fine tuning with back ground noise reduction.

Hopefully by tomorrow I will have more to report, I guess my brain is slow ;)

Cheryl

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:40:27 pm by matti »
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

Re: I've got the new TransEar
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:32:11 pm »
Cheryl,

Happy to hear that you have your new TransEar.  Hope you get your problems with it figured out quickly.  You must be much closer to your audiologist than I am.  Mine is 2 1/2 hours away.  I'll be waiting to hear further updates.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:26:28 pm »
I've finally gotten my TransEar.  My audiolgist had me put it in for the first time instead of her doing it.  She had talked to the people at TransEar before my appointment for some pointers.  They said it can be painful to put in the first time because it goes so deep.  That is one good thing about having little or no feeling on that side.  It didn't hurt a bit.  Once I knew how it felt when it was in there I had no problems putting it in. 
It's hard for me to tell what additional hearing I'm having.  I block my good ear and then I hear a tin-can sound.  That's the TransEar working.  I had my sons talk in quiet voices or whispers next to my bad ear and I could hear that too.  When I was eating out in a restaurant today I didn't have problems hearing the waitress on my bad side.
It will be interesting to see how this works out.  Right now I have 2 programs.  I can get more if I think I need them.  I'm keeping the volume at about 2 1/2.  Is that what you were talking about, Boppie?

Mattie, how is your TransEar today?

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:26:49 pm »
It's my second day of Transear 270 and still having vibration issues, but we are working on it, we are remaking the unit to fit tighter in the canal. I was just at the grocery store and was able to hear the people standing behind me in line, what an awesome feeling ;D  People probably think I'm crazy because I keep plugging my good ear with my finger, but I need to test this device. The sound of my typing has taken on a diffferent tone as well. I know my brain is still adjusting, yesterday I heard none of these things.

When the phone rings in another room, generally I can't hear it, but with this new found vibrating feature, it alerts me. Kind of cool in that respect LOL

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

matti

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:34:42 pm »
Hi Jean,

I am so happy it's working for you, I have been anxiously awaiting your post.  2 1/2 is where you should be, I don't hear anything at that level and still sitting between 3 1/2 to 4. Do you notice your typing sounds different, somewhat tin canny? Try lying on your good ear while watching TV.

Isn't this device amazing!!!!  I can't wait to hear how you do in a classroom setting.

I sent you an email earlier.

hugs,
Cheryl

Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 04:49:23 pm »
Matti,

Good thing we are not together right now.  We'd look crazy!  Walking around plugging our good ears.  lol  My good is getting sore from me blocking it so much today.  Things sure do have that "digital" feeling.  (I'm upgrading the sound from "tin can""  LOL )  I'll let you know how it works in the classroom tomorrow.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 11:24:30 pm »
Matti, and Jeanlea,
Congratulations!  I have been following your posts closely.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:22:12 pm »
This may sound totally dumb, but which ear does the Transear fit in? The "good" one or the "bad" one?

Duh,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:47:24 pm »
Hi Cap'n Deb,

The TransEar goes in the bad ear.