Author Topic: House clinic  (Read 8602 times)

bugman

House clinic
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:26:01 pm »
This is Bugman again! I am leaning toward the House Clinic in LA.
Anyway, has anyone had any experience with DR. De La Vega. He is on the team at House and I have spoken with him, but I have not seen his name mentioned here. Apparantly he works with Hitzelburger. 
 It sounds like Paul did very well at House.

Thanks again all !

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Re: House clinic
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:04:51 pm »
Hey Bugman- I have had telephone conversations with Dr. de la Cruz- Nice man- but I ended opting for cyberknife @ Stanford rather than surgery.  Dr. de la Cruz still wants to monitor my progress- he told me over the phone he has been doing this about 30 years... take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:30:01 pm »
Hi Bugman,

I do not know about Dr. De La Cruz but all of the doctors at house are good. You can choose a different doctor if you would like, go to the HEI website and you can see pictures of the doctors. Dr. Hitselberger is totally awesome. He is not with House Ear Clinic but works very closely with most of the House doctors. He is the neurosurgeon and he is one of the best! If I can help you in anyway just email me.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:08:48 pm »
I couldn't agree more....all of the doctors at House are great.  Dr. Rick Friedman was the one I talked with prior to going out there for my surgery and he was so patient and asked me if I had any more questions to just call him.  We don't have that kind of doctor in my area so my choice to go to House was easy.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

carmen g

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:16:08 am »
Hi,

I talked with Dr. Fayad yesterday at House.  He said he works with Dr. Schwartz the neurosurgeon.  He was very informative in giving me my options, although he hadn't seen my MRI result as he was heading for Egypt and they didn't make it to the clinic prior to his departure.

I still have an appt in Denver on April 3 and will talk with Dr. Muckle, but if I don't feel comfortable with him, I will definetly consider House.

He told me that they do 300 procedures per year with good success rates.

In my case, I am probably looking at surgery because of my age (38).  1.) Middle Fossa 2.) Retro sigmoid or 3.) Trans Lab.  I hope I do not have to go Trans lab, as I will have total hearing loss and I am sure everyone understands that I would like to maintain that.

I don't know if I helped any, but put in my 2 cents.

Carmen
Diagnosis received 3-9-07.
1.7 cm, left side
Retro-sigmoid surgery 5-23-07
No complications, recovering well

Evan

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:52:54 am »
For those of you who want to know, after I had consulted with my doctors in New York Last week, regarding my acoustic neuroma now may be a facial neuroma or something completely different, I had discussed with them second opinions, consults etc.  Although they have no connection to the House Clinic, they essentially told me that if I needed surgery and did not want to have it in New York, the "only place" to go was to Brackman and his team at House.  I assume that was based upon their experience with patients that went there, the studies emanating from there, and any other knowledge that they have.  I am sure there are excellent doctors from other hospitals who would do the same quality surgery, but obviously, this recommendation was a good one.

In terms of radiation, while they do not do CK or GK themselves, but advised me that they would suggest it if I my clinical picture dictated it, they said that the "place" to go was U of Pitt under Lundsferd.  For those of you who have research the issue extensively, the U of Pitt Study under Lundsferd is the only long term study (10 years) comparing the results of microsurgery and radiation in terms of treating smaller AN's.  They also told me not to both sending my films to Hopkins and Stanford.  Now this may be a personal slant and/opinion from Costantino and Sen, so I am no so willing just to accept these blanket statements.

I think my point is that for all of us who have been researching House as a place to do the microsurgery, I don't think anyone could go wrong using them as your surgical team as they do the most, have done it the longest, are the most experienced in treating ANs.

Evan
1.5 cm x 1 cm x .5 cm/Diagnosed March 8/AN Right Side as per MRI/Upon further review, docs do not know what it is.  Could be Facial neuroma/could be nothing.  Repeat MRI in 6 weeks.

Shrnwldr

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:50:57 am »
I had my appointment with Dr. Hitselberger yesterday. What an awesome doctor!  he put me at easy immediately.  I have my surgery date now also.  May 18th!  My otologist is not associated with House but is excellent in this field.  I know I am in good hands.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:27:25 am »
For those of you who want to know, after I had consulted with my doctors in New York Last week, regarding my acoustic neuroma now may be a facial neuroma or something completely different, I had discussed with them second opinions, consults etc.  Although they have no connection to the House Clinic, they essentially told me that if I needed surgery and did not want to have it in New York, the "only place" to go was to Brackman and his team at House.  I assume that was based upon their experience with patients that went there, the studies emanating from there, and any other knowledge that they have.  I am sure there are excellent doctors from other hospitals who would do the same quality surgery, but obviously, this recommendation was a good one.

In terms of radiation, while they do not do CK or GK themselves, but advised me that they would suggest it if I my clinical picture dictated it, they said that the "place" to go was U of Pitt under Lundsferd.  For those of you who have research the issue extensively, the U of Pitt Study under Lundsferd is the only long term study (10 years) comparing the results of microsurgery and radiation in terms of treating smaller AN's.  They also told me not to both sending my films to Hopkins and Stanford.  Now this may be a personal slant and/opinion from Costantino and Sen, so I am no so willing just to accept these blanket statements.

I think my point is that for all of us who have been researching House as a place to do the microsurgery, I don't think anyone could go wrong using them as your surgical team as they do the most, have done it the longest, are the most experienced in treating ANs.

Evan

Hi Evan,

I feel compelled to respond to you post on a few issues and am curious on a few things.

While we all know HEI is a leader in AN microsurgery, there are also many other leading centers doing amazing AN microsurgical work.  So, not dismissing HEI and their reputations for treating AN's, please know that many facilities, such as Stanford, Mass General, Virginia Mason in Seattle and such/etc.  are doing marvelous work in AN surgeries and not to be discounted.

I am also extremely surprised that these dr's advised you not to bother with sending your MRI's elsewhere, esp. to Stanford.   It is of my opinion (whether right or wrong) that it is the patient's perogative in how to pursure different opinions, options and to become the best self-educated person that you can be.

It's wonderful to have faith in your treatment team, but am extremely shocked that they would make this advise to you.  I do not believe that the patient's best interest is being taken into consideration when a physician says "don't bother".

Just my 2 cents.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Evan

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 11:40:27 am »
Phyl:

I appreciate your input and certainly with your experience both personally and on this board, I certainly should not be one to question anything that you have said.  However, I believe the point of my doctors was the following:  "You can continue to get consult upon consult upon consult, and while there may be doctors as good as House and people who do radiaiton as good as Lundsford etc, you may not be doing yourself a service by getting overloaded with opinons upon opinons"  There is some truth to that.  When does one stop?  When does one decide that the next opinion is "the opinion".  My docs were simply saying "These are the best places, and the places that I would go to if I did not use my own services....Get the consults there, but do yourself a favor and do not make yourself crazy".

This is not the first time in my short time on the board that people vehemently disagree with me.  It is my understanding that this board is for all opinions.  If I have an opinion based upon what someone has told me (meaning doctors) I think I should relay that information.  You don't have to accept it, you may have a different opinion, and you may very well accept it. 

Sometimes too much information is not always a good thing.  In short, that is all I was trying to say.

Evan
1.5 cm x 1 cm x .5 cm/Diagnosed March 8/AN Right Side as per MRI/Upon further review, docs do not know what it is.  Could be Facial neuroma/could be nothing.  Repeat MRI in 6 weeks.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:42 am »
Thanks Evan.  Oh, I was not upset about what you wrote... it just bothers me when a physician says that. You speak a lot of truth in your comments of "when is enough, enough?  When is it time to stop?"  I agree and am not aware of your full research as it is my understanding that you were recently diagnosed (and still not confirmed what you have, exactly, from my understanding). 

Like you and my "too many" medical mistrials, I search and I search until all options are exhausted.  To me, it's my body and I'm going to do what it takes to get the best for my situations.  So, I agree with you when you note at what point do you stop. 

If you were diagnosed a while ago and have been doing research for a while, I completely agree with you.  If I am incorrect in my assumption that you have been recently diagnosed, then, for me, I am curious on all the research you have done (I've been trying to follow along with your posts here).

Thanks for clarifying... and your kind words... and understanding that we can agree to disagree. No one is starting in with you.... when you see the original post you did and you see a comment noted by a physician that basically says "don't bother"... well, I think it would throw anyone off. Your elaboration is most helpful :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Evan

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 01:20:08 pm »
If a particular doctor has strong opinions about certain doctors or medical facilities, I think it is his ethical obligation to be honest with his patients.  If he has no personal knowledge, then I agree Bruce, but if his opinion is based upon his experience, his research and his actual knowledge of the physician and facility, wouldn't you want him to tell you that.  I would much prefer that, then the doctor not telling me something that he strongly believes in.

Evan

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 01:34:10 pm »
As not to hijack this thread... but.. is there ever a good answer of ethics when it comes to one physician noting commentary about another physician or treatment location?  

Suggestion, if this ethics topic/discussion is to expand, suggestion would be to start a new thread in "AN Issues" and keep the ethics discussion focused to treatment facilities and practioners of AN's...

Just a thought. Please feel free to start a new thread on it there and also note that since ethics can be a very touchy subject, it will be monitored VERY closely.

Phyl
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:39:10 pm by ppearl214 »

Evan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 02:34:12 pm »
Bruce:

As Phyl has suggested, we should start a new thread on Medical Ethics/What should doctors say?  (Hows that for a topic).

In terms of your response however, I did not give you any commentary as to why my physicians said what they did, other than that was their experience and opinion.  If you read my post carefully, they did not say anything negative about anyone and it was my feeling that they did not want me to go running around needlessly.  It was their opinion and that is what I prefaced my comment with.

IN terms of radiation, again, they did not say that Hopkins or Stanford was inadequate or bad.  Their experience had been with Lundsford at U. o Pitt.  They thought and think he is great.  So, in "their opinion", they thought it was redundant to go to others once a decision had been made to have CK or GK.

This is a board, we are all entitled to our opinions, and I think we are doing our fellow board membes a service when we put out there all of the information that we obtain.  If you notice I have never given my "personal" opinion of what doctors are better than others.  I am simply relaying to others what I have been told.  It is put out there, we can all digest it, and we can accept it or reject it.  Its all up to the individual reader.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 02:44:02 pm »
Please continue the ethics discussion, AS IT PERTAINS TO AN'S ONLY!, to this thread:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3266.new#new

This thread is now back on track for discussion of House Ear Clinic per the opening post by bugman.

Thank you.
Phyl

Bruce:

As Phyl has suggested, we should start a new thread on Medical Ethics/What should doctors say?  (Hows that for a topic).

In terms of your response however, I did not give you any commentary as to why my physicians said what they did, other than that was their experience and opinion.  If you read my post carefully, they did not say anything negative about anyone and it was my feeling that they did not want me to go running around needlessly.  It was their opinion and that is what I prefaced my comment with.

IN terms of radiation, again, they did not say that Hopkins or Stanford was inadequate or bad.  Their experience had been with Lundsford at U. o Pitt.  They thought and think he is great.  So, in "their opinion", they thought it was redundant to go to others once a decision had been made to have CK or GK.

This is a board, we are all entitled to our opinions, and I think we are doing our fellow board membes a service when we put out there all of the information that we obtain.  If you notice I have never given my "personal" opinion of what doctors are better than others.  I am simply relaying to others what I have been told.  It is put out there, we can all digest it, and we can accept it or reject it.  Its all up to the individual reader.

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 03:43:26 pm »
My retrosigmoid surgery was done at House on 2/16/2007 by Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz and Dr. Michael Stefan (Internist).  I would make the same choice now as I did prior to going there.  ALL of the doctors have to be great and I don't think you will go wrong with any doctor there.  I particularly liked Dr. Friedman and Schwartz.  Dr. Friedman told me that he had personally done over 500 AN surgeries and that was impressive to me.  Prior to the surgery I knew there was a chance that I would have headaches and I do but they are getting better each day.  Also, I went in knowing that more than likely I would lose my hearing in that ear and I have at least for right now.  My head is still numb and healing and who knows, anything is possible, my hearing may come back.  I do still have the tinnitus but it is a more pleasant sound now than prior to surgery so that part is good.  I have no facial problems, no balance problems or any other.

To sum it up, I couldn't be happier with my choice and my outcome from surgery.
Jean 

Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results