Author Topic: Max Recovery  (Read 12931 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Max Recovery
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 06:06:29 am »
Hi TP:  It really is hard coming to terms with the facial paralysis & eye issues.  Some days are better than others.
           I am more grateful for the good things in my life (simply living in America is a plus).
           Well, we all have each other on this forum & I am grateful my journey has led me here.
           Take care, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

stewie

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 07:41:36 am »
SMC,
I feel for you. I had my surgery in December of 2005. I am told that my tumor was 3cm--and very unusual. My facial nerve was not cut during the surgery. I was very hopeful for recovery. As it happens, yesterday I went to see a reconstructive surgeon in regards to my progress. I'm about 16 months out of surgery. I have gained some movement--I can make a closed mouth smile. Movement actually started in October of 2006. But this is where I am after 6 months of showing some improvement. Muscle tone isn't bad. Anyway, yesterday the Dr. told me that I was at the end of the line. That I probably wouldn't see anymore improvement. I am devestated by this. I have been on this site in the past, not as a member, only reading about people's experiences. I know that I have read that some have had recovery 2, or even 3 years out of surgery. Yesterday I was very negative regarding my Dr. vist. Today I'm going to find out what else I might be able to do about this. I'm not giving up! My advise to you is to continue gathering information. Personally, I seem to get the best information from people who have experienced this situation. This site is a wonderful resource. As I continued reading these posts earlier, I came across someone's post that reccomends a Dr. near me.  Keep looking for answers. Don't give up!! 
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

Denise

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 01:47:19 pm »
I have read this thread and would like to add my experience.
I found out on 4/5/05 I had an AN, on 5/9/05, I had surgery (translab) to remove the tumor.   My tumor was emeshed in my facial nerve like speghetti, so my nerve was cut.  I had no idea, going in that my surgery was going to or even could, result in facial paralysis. The dr. tried to sew it back together and gave me 12-18 month window for recovery of the facial nerve.  At my one year MRI and check up, I was told the devastating news that my paralysis was pemanent.  In August 2006, I had the 12/7 nerve graft surgery.  I was not too keen on another surgery, this surgery made four major surgeries in less than two years, but I couldn't live looking like that.  I am very happy to say that I have had significant improvement in my face, and don't hesitate to recommend the procedure to anyone. Don't get me wrong, it is not a cure all and you will not look like your prior self, but it is a significant change and my self esteem has increased.  My facial tone is coming back.  My mouth isn't drooping anymore and when I talk, my left side of my mouth is moving so it is less noticeable that I have the paralysis.  My mouth is not pulling to the right side anymore.  I really debated about doing the 12/7 surgery, I didn't want another surgery either, and I didn't want to look like I did either.  I actually waited about six months before deciding to do it, and i don't regret it one bit.

I hope my comments help.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 05:36:21 pm »
Hey Denise:   Help is putting it mildly,  I'm so glad for you & Chris,  & I'm sure Taylor after a few more months will begin to see improvement.
                   I'm so grateful you guys had the guts to go thru it,  I know I will if my paralysis remains the same.
                   Much thanks to you Denise !!!!!   KEEP SMILING SISTER,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 06:17:59 pm »
Stewie, I know that feeling of devastation. I went to my doctor last March.  I was 6 months out from surgery at the time.  That day my doctor told me that my face would not recovery.  I've made considerable progress since then.  On that day my mouth still drooped a little and I couldn't smile at all.  Now my mouth doesn't droop and I can make a small smile.  I don't think that doctors really know how much you can improve and tell you that there will be no improvement to get themselves off the hook.  Just my opinion.  I wish you continued recovery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD