Author Topic: Big ANs!  (Read 6891 times)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Big ANs!
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:59:48 am »

it seems we have a lot of newbies with Monster AN's !      a big welcome to everyone ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Big ANs!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:21:05 am »
YOU'RE TELLING ME JOEF,

ALL I CAN SAY IS JEEZ LOUISE !!!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:57:59 am »
...and thrilled to see each and every one of them here on the site so we can support them.....

Welcome to all newbies.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

brasher

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

it seems we have a lot of newbies with Monster AN's !      a big welcome to everyone ..

dear joef,
thanks for the welcome, i feel like a celebrity among the AN community. i got a lot of attention at the hosp.
from other AN patients and their families because they had heard about the size of my tumor.
i would like to be well known for something other than having monster tumor in my head.
i plan on being famous for recovering from having a lg. brain tumor. it is very incouraging to here from all the nice people on this site.
later, tony
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07
translab prceedure; house ear clinic; Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz
facial nerve severed with complete removal of tumor.
gold eye weight;2/21/07-Dr Roberts
12-7 nerve anastomosis; 3/1/07, Dr Slattery
happy to be here; recovering well

redgrl

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:27:07 pm »
Welcome newbies! i love this forum. It keeps you very informed and you can make lots of great friends and support systems. Thanks to everyone who makes it possible for us to have this website. You guys are the best!  ;D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:47 pm »
I think it's important to point out that even the really big AN tumors, like Tony's (brasher) can be removed and the patient do fairly well.  'Newbies' should take note.  Even a very large AN (6+ cm) is not the end of the world.  Not fun, certainly a danger to health and life if not removed...but still operable.  Tony's story is one that needs to be told - and remembered.  Meanwhile, the 4.5 cm tumor I once had now seems a bit small, relatively speaking.  That's O.K.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »
I'm in awe at Tony's size.  I just thought mine was big!

There seems to be a lot of newbies popping in, hopefully you'll find this a great place of comfort and support.  I know it helped me get through my darkest days.  You all would have died laughing the last two days with me trying to explain my cyber family to a psychologist and a psychiatrist.  They both gave me some strange looks at first like I'd really lost my mind and had some imaginery friends.  And to think they are trying to determine if I'm mentally stable enough to go back to school  HA!  The best part was when the psychologist thanked me for reminding him how simple and uncomplicated his life was.  GEESH!

Welcome all and remember you're not in this journey alone you have a very caring bunch who will help you along the way even if people do look at you strange for having imaginary friends  :-*

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:23 pm »
Looks like we've been "outgrowthed"!  hee heee.

6.5cm!?!?!? That's the biggest I've ever heard of!

Brasher, could you somehow manage to post a scan of that monster?

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

brasher

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:14:42 am »
Looks like we've been "outgrowthed"!  hee heee.

6.5cm!?!?!? That's the biggest I've ever heard of!

Brasher, could you somehow manage to post a scan of that monster?

Paul
hey paul,
i wish that i wasn't the one who "outgrowthed" you!, i dont wish that on anyone. looks like you had quite a monster yourself.
at the time of my mri(dec.), they thought it was 5 cm, but i guess it grew or it was just bigger than they thought?
my docs still have the disc of the mri scan, but i will see what i can do to post it, its not pretty however.
tony
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07
translab prceedure; house ear clinic; Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz
facial nerve severed with complete removal of tumor.
gold eye weight;2/21/07-Dr Roberts
12-7 nerve anastomosis; 3/1/07, Dr Slattery
happy to be here; recovering well

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:47:27 pm »
Brasher, I know what you mean by the growth appearing larger than the reported dimensions. Mine seemed much bigger than 5cm. I found some scans I had posted last April
buried in the archive. Here's the link to that page. Just scroll down to see them. And while you're there, feel free to explore all of the other posts I've made that are in the archive. This way it is not necessary to repeat one's self :   http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=806;sa=showPosts;start=300

Take care and great to hook up with you!   Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:54 pm »
There seems to be a lot of newbies popping in, hopefully you'll find this a great place of comfort and support.  I know it helped me get through my darkest days.  You all would have died laughing the last two days with me trying to explain my cyber family to a psychologist and a psychiatrist.  They both gave me some strange looks at first like I'd really lost my mind and had some imaginery friends.  And to think they are trying to determine if I'm mentally stable enough to go back to school  HA!  The best part was when the psychologist thanked me for reminding him how simple and uncomplicated his life was.  GEESH!

Did you give them the website to look up?  Then they'd know we're real!  ;D  Or else they'd put out an APB to round all of us up for the ****y hatch! 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mary07

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:22:30 am »
...and thrilled to see each and every one of them here on the site so we can support them.....

Phyl

I was wondering  how have you dont with going the path you have ( cyberknife )  did you have any side effects ?  I'm trying to find out what path I want to take becouse the tumor is growing
slowly but it is small yet.
             Mary

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 08:53:25 am »
Hi Mary and welcome.

My side affects from CK are minimal. I have full retention of my hearing for what it was at the time of treatment 10 mos ago, occassional/intermittant tinnitus, balance issues (which are primarily caused by other medical conditions I have, but the CK/AN has affected my balance minimally), minimal/intermittant facial numbness, etc. I'm doing fine :)

Phyl

Phyl

I was wondering  how have you dont with going the path you have ( cyberknife )  did you have any side effects ?  I'm trying to find out what path I want to take becouse the tumor is growing
             Mary

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mary07

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 02:05:06 pm »
Hi Mary and welcome.

My side affects from CK are minimal. I have full retention of my hearing for what it was at the time of treatment 10 mos ago, occassional/intermittant tinnitus, balance issues (which are primarily caused by other medical conditions I have, but the CK/AN has affected my balance minimally), minimal/intermittant facial numbness, etc. I'm doing fine :)

Phyl

Has the tumor stoped growing or has it gotten smaller for you ?
                         Mary

Phyl

Mary

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 02:49:02 pm »
Hi Mary,

As AN's may have minor shrinkage from radiation, the ultimate goal is the kill the core DNA of the growth so it will not grow anymore.   Yes, mine has had minimal shrinkage, but... the ultimate goal is in process as my 2 most recent MRI's show that tumor death is occurring. I hope that helps.

Phyl

Hi Mary and welcome.

Phyl

Has the tumor stoped growing or has it gotten smaller for you ?
                         Mary

Phyl

Mary