Author Topic: Post AN Dislexia  (Read 5062 times)

Rob7

Post AN Dislexia
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »
   Has anyone noticed they write or type words backwards or out of order after surgery?  I have been having a hard time keeping the letters in the right place. 

Thanks,
     Don
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Jeanlea

Re: Post AN Dislexia
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:51:34 pm »
I type letters  backwards from time to time.  It does seem to improve over time for me.  I also mix up some of my words.  Once I even switched some of the sounds in a word and it came out as a "naughty" word.  Of course this happened in my fourth grade classroom!  I did some quick explaining.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:47:13 pm »
Don & Jean,

I noticed awhile back that I began to reverse letters in words when typing.  I didn't have the invasive surgery.  I never used to have that problem when typing.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:52:56 am »
Me too!  I have slowed my reading down considerably as I found out words would change letter order and when reaching the end of a line I lost my place while moving my eyes back across the page.  I have come to accept the re-reading of words, just to make sure they haven't mysteriously morphed into something else that might have the same sound but different meaning.  My life has become slower.  I was just talking to my husband last night about this very subject, funny.  I revealed to him for the first time, my time management sucks now and I don't seem to be able to accomplish even half of what I did pre surgery.  I have good intentions, but seems it takes me longer to accomplish tasks.  He agreed, but as he said lovingly  :-*, "I love living with my dee dee dee!"  I also revealed to him I don't feel I'm contributing enough to his life or those around me as I'm unable to accomplish what I did before.  I see he takes on more or rather picks up my slack which adds to his load.  Seems I'm thinking more and more about how the new me can contribute in spite of my being slower, unbalanced and easily exhausted.   :-\
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »
Oh yes, Rob,  I have always been a great speller, even when my typing skills were terrible.  Today I have a recall problem with more difficult, rule breaker words.  Also, I have a hard time remembering new words on things I see and try to record on paper later.  ...never had that problem before.  I call it "trouble with sequencing".

My daughter gives me wonderful titles to read just as she always did, but I prod myself to get back to the heavy reading I used to do.  I bought two new paperbacks a month ago.  They sit there on the shelf.  Reading makes me tired.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 03:12:27 pm by Boppie »

jacobs

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 07:24:21 pm »

It happens to me as well.I spend alot of time going back over my words to correct the mixed up letters.I have some trouble at work and feel that I get distracted easily and forget what I was doing.I write down everything at work now to prod my memory.It definitely wasn't like this before my surgery.
 I have found the best way to deal with it is to take everything a step slower as well.No one at work seems to have noticed so I figure I have been doing a good job coping so far.
 Jacobs
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:35:46 pm »
I wonder if my "dyslexias" are really hysteria about self expectation.  I mean I have always been precise and good at certain things.  Lately, I lament and dwell on "something I lost..."  Other people don't seem to notice my silly mistakes.  It is just that when my balance causes me to swerve or jog two step I feel clumsy and awkward about that.  Is this a self imposed hysteria about the big bad brain tumor? I wonder.

tony

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 01:08:08 am »
There is actually a very credible reason as to why this seems to happen
Basically the brain has rewired itself to take into account the reduced
balance function by now using the eyesight as an additional reference
you now "see" to balance - hence the nightime difficulties
As far as I can tell - the extra "processor" space taken up to use
this function impacts on short term memory
hence sequence of words not quite so smooth
Basically the more you exercise the balance
and the cognitive process - the better it becomes
I have been back at work 3 mths now
and the brain speed has more than doubled in that time
and poor spelling is a thing of the past
Rest Begards
Tonyy

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 01:57:57 am »
Very interesting...
So, Rob,   from my reading of Tony's post, I see that the cognitive comes second to balance mastery.  Is this the way you understand it?  Also, the difficulties would be common in both kinds of treatment and in some wait and watchers whose balance nerve is undergoing a rapid change.

Question, Tony...exactly what do you mean when you say "exercise the cognitive process".  In what way?

tony

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:33:58 am »
Actually quite simple things, crosswords, puzzels, basic maths
I suspect even simple reading will help
If you are in retirement or similar
maybe some charitable work (light duties) just to get things fired up
The brain seems to relearn somehow - you will get tired along the way
but like all these things it gets better and better
Best regards
Tony

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:22:42 pm »
I see, Tony, and I've done tons of these types of activites in the past 16 months.  I think age must be factored into the balance ;D.  My expectations for acheivement are set for my early sixties and pre op.  Post op at 65 is a horse of another feather! color!  ;D  ...just not liking to slow down.  I have an 87 year old mother who still drives and tends her own home.  I have a 94 year mother-in-law who still drives, eats out, takes care of her own home, and lives alone.   I sure want to get there!

One point, when I get tired or spend a whole day indoors with sedentary work I notice fairly significant balance problems returning.  I think it is more difficult to keep the "gain" in recovery as we age.  In other words older people hang on rather than forge ahead.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:31:14 pm by Boppie »

er

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 07:07:48 pm »
Hello Boppie

Yes! I have and it is very fastrating.
er

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:30 pm »
Yep have the dsylexic thing going.  I find I leave letters out of words when I right and get sounds jumbled when speaking.  Frustrating!
Tony I'm still not back to work but am persuing a masters in accounting so my brain is getting loads of exercising...now to translate that into my hips and I'll be a golden girl  LOL

Betsy

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 07:59:04 am »
Oh dear...my spelling and composition skills have already taken a turn for the worse and I haven't even had treatment yet!  I'm chalking it up to lack of sleep and too much time on the internet though.  The first week after diagnosis (was that only last week?) I was attributing every headache, every twitch, twinge, and hangnail to "that thing in my head".  Thank goodness for kind doctors and the folks on this forum....and for spelling and grammar checkers.  Boppie and Tony are on the right track too, I think.
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Pembo

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 02:12:34 pm »
3 yrs post op and still have the same problem, it happens more in speaking with me. It does happen less often than it used to and sometimes I even catch my brain trying to say it wrong and I can correct it.  I always think of that line in Willy Wonka where he messes up the words and says "stop, reverse that". That's me.......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006