Author Topic: loss of voice. is it related to tumor?  (Read 2895 times)

barney

loss of voice. is it related to tumor?
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:27:32 pm »
HELLO
MY AUNT WHO IS 89 HAS TUMOR THE SIZE OF A EGG. SHE WAS DIAGNOED THREE YEARS AGO. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE LOSS OF HER VOICE COULD BE RELATED TO THE TUMOR. HER VOICE IS NOT COMPLTETY GONE BUT IT IS VERY BAD AND GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY. AS WITH ANYONE HER AGE SHE REFUSES TO SEE THE DOCTOR ANYMORE AND DOES NOT WANT TO HAVE ANY MORE MRI'S
THANK YOU
BARNEY

Boppie

Re: loss of voice. is it related to tumor?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:48:09 pm »
Barney, depending on the size and position of the tumor on the nerve branches it could impact swallowing.  One could postulate that the vocal cords and voice box would be impacted as that is adjacent to the windpipe.  Does she hear?  Has she told you where they saw her tumor?

Some  very young people refuse to have MRI's also.  If she wanted treatment things could be worked out for her situation.  But you know, she has a right to refuse, too. 

My mother is 87 and refuses to have anything done about her near deafness...will not submit to any type of invasive procedure.  So?  What to do?

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »
Barney after treatment I had trouble speaking and at times still do.  If I try to talk loud enough to be heard it puts a strain on my throat and causes me to choke or my throat to feel irritated so I'd think your aunt could have difficulty with her speech from her tumor.  Like Boppie said so you know where her tumor is and what part of her brain it's affecting? 

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:12:18 am »
Her large tumor could be along the brain stem and impinging the origin of the laryngeal nerve which goes to the vocal cord. Maybe raiotherapy could help get her voice back without to much risk to her health.l
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05