Author Topic: I am new to this and had the operation Jan 21 of 2007.  (Read 13832 times)

FlyersFan68

Re: I am new to this and had the operation Jan 21 of 2007.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 12:30:32 pm »
lxg57,

Oh, to answer your question as to how long will the balance will be challenging? I took numerous daily small walks following surgery. I went back to work 6 weeks following surgery but could have a little sooner. I was not gonna rush my recovery. I guess six weeks things were coming around but if you have the time to relax and do things at your pace I would suggest just that. It's good you went to Wal-Mart & this will help. I'm not so bad in crowded spaces anymore except when I am coaching and there are a lot of kids around. I can handle being around my team but when the other teams arrive Not Good!

Stevey

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:07 pm »
Greg,

Hope driving is going well for you, I have not hit anything significant (a sleet drift) but did not dent my wife's lexus.  I went to vestibular rehab to see the Therapist who helped me in-patient at Penn and FlyersFan has it down pat the excercises help so much, I actually gt on my bicycle briefly and felt ok (read:  I didn't fall).  I am walking everywhere and getting ready to go back to run my business part time and maybe do some other freelance work as the energy allows.  I was able to whistle today to call my dogs and was surprised because my lip parsing was affected both before surgery and after but they told me is would improve.  Hang in there and I think over time your body will surprise you.  The tinnitus and SSD (single sided deafness) is driving me nuts and my ent has no experience and little faith in transear, he wants me to consider cros or BAHA, I am a little disappointed because transear never sent him the info they said they would send and I will have to pay out of pocket and transear seems the best deal.  Has anyone found a good way to deal with tinnitus, post surgical?

Cheers,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

gb4821

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:31 pm »
I started work today and It was great to get a little bit of normal life back again.  I was cleared to start driving a little last week and don't have to much trouble with it just feel better with roads I know because my reaction time feels a little slow and bumps in the road get my eyes going for a couple of seconds.  I think this will go away with time and me driving more.  I continue to need my rest but will work at doing more work and more dutes as I continue to feel better.  But for now it feels good to get to this next step in my recovery.  I also meet again with the Audiologist on April 6th to see what is available for my SSD and my not so good right ear ( Low pitches are gone ).  Will post again later this week as I go through work and the challanges of that.

I continue to do rehab to help with balance and headache issues.  I hope this will help with both areas.  I would like to get off the med's for the headaches :-\

Thanks again for all the support and posting.

Hope all is well and thought I would give an update on things.

Greg Brown ;D
Greg Brown
1.5 cm AN Removed 1/22/07
Suboccipital Procedure:OHSU ( Portland Oregon); Dr. McMinemee and Dr. Delishaw
Complete removeal of tumor but hearing nerve on left side was severed.

Stevey

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 09:45:07 pm »
Greg,

Great to hear that you are doing so well, I am working now too and get pooped quicker than I'd like but am able t break through, I usually eat an apple or orange and it jump starts me.  I am really just dealing with the tinnitus and SSD, it can be tough at times for sure.

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

Boppie

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 10:00:36 pm »
Steve, a hearing aid will not change tinnitus.  As far as I know there is no way to "cure" it.  We just learn to ignore it.  I have found my hearing aid (TransEar) gets my hearing nerve busy enough to allow me to just the tinnitus.   At least I can't remember complaining that the tinnitus was bac while wearing my aid.

Boppie

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:44 pm »
lxg57,  At 5 to 6 months you will think you are in a new normal.  By 12 months, you will begin to experience so much recovered energy that you'll look forward to getting the 99%.  I am at 15½ months out and can work all day and stay up late like I used to do.  Once in a while I sleep late but no more naps.