Author Topic: Thank You Plus a Few More Post-op Suggestions  (Read 3744 times)

L Malik

Thank You Plus a Few More Post-op Suggestions
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:30:24 pm »
   This website was the most helpful source of information for what to take to the hospital and how to prepare for post-operative care.  The three most helpful items were a memory foam pillow, a shower bench and a hand-held shower head.  I couldn't wait to wash my hair when I got home form the hospital, but dizziness and weak legs in the shower were not a good combination.  I am surprised at how long it is taking for my eye  muscles to strengthen on the surgery side of my face, so the recommendation to have "No More Tears" shampoo available was an excellent one. 
   Many of my neighbors brought me soup, flowers and offers of assistance.  I took one of them up on it, so she and I now go for a daily walk around the neighborhood to help reestablish my equilibrium and to build stamina.  We have become closer friends and I hope some day I can repay her for sharing this time with me.
   Patience truly is the key word to this healing process.  It's been over four weeks since my surgery (Trans-laberynthine incision to remove a 2cm diameter neuroma) and my left eye still has about 1/16" to go before it will fully close.  For all the time it is taking, it seems like the gap is a mile.  However, at this point in time, I am counting my blessings - a full facial muscle recovery is expected (based on my face immediately after surgery); the daily walking plus physical therapy is restoring my equilibrium; and I am getting a BAHA sound processor in May - no more single-sided deafness! 
   I would like to make one last suggestion for the recuperation process.  If you are watching DVD's, turn on the English subtitles for the hearing impaired.  You'll enjoy the movie more.

April 17, 2007 - Update
Okay, maybe I should not have scheduled my day surgery for Friday the 13th.  Anyway, I went in to get the BAHA attachment exposed and we found out that my head is not hard enough.  This comes from being past forty years old and a few other benchmarks - my bones are taking their sweet time to heal.  Lessons learned - take an X-ray to see what is going on inside before starting the surgery.  SSD is not the worst thing to deal with for six more months.  There are people out there who have dealt with it for a lifetime.  Also, my left tear duct is showing some activity - one tear at 10am on Saturday mornings only...go figure.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:10:47 pm by L Malik »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Thank You Plus a Few More Post-op Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:06:57 am »
Congratulations on your success with your treatment. Thrilled to hear the site has brought you a wealth of information/suggestions that have been helpful to you.

God speed and onward/upward to continued wellness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:04:43 pm »
Sounds like you are doing great! It took me exactly 1 month to get my strength back. Walking seems to be the best thing to do to get back your strength and balance. And your eye sounds like it is doing great. I'm still waiting for some movement anywhere on the right side but nothing yet. The weight in my eye has helped me a lots but baths are still a nightmare to keep soap out of it. Hang in there, your on the road to recovery! Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:40:51 pm »
L Malik: you mind find this amusing- my husband and I have been doing the CC thing forever on our TV and he doesn't have a hearing problem! Rather we just find people talk to fast??? (But then I was always asking him to annunciate dammit'- my hearing loss is on my left side but I still have good speech discrimination, go figure).  Glad to know you are recovering.  My Aunt always said people want the opportunity to give so you should thank yourself for giving your neighbor the opportunity to be a good neighbor! (We have to look at silver linings in this AN business).

Take care of yourself- I will continue to pray for your recovery. (Actually, it's more of a demand from God, rather than a request... hey listen Mr., these people need help, make it happen)!  Certainly not theologically sound, but I'm pretty sure he's used to customer demands)!  Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

jjohnson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30:02 pm »
Great minds think alike, I too use the the subtitles for watching DVDs.  Helps a bunch. 

1wareagle - Since I also have eye problems  I found that holding goggles over my bad eye helps keep the soap out of that eye when I  use shampoo.  Takes a little bit to manuver using one hand to wash your hair and one to hold the googles but its worth it.  I have both swimmers and scuba type goggles.  Hope that helps.
Translab
4cm extremely vascular left sided AN
Age 29 yrs
facial paralysis left side, ssd, gold weight in eyelid, (that's the major stuff)