Author Topic: Taylor update--Surgery this Wednesday  (Read 8699 times)

TaylorsMom

Taylor update--Surgery this Wednesday
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:14:00 am »
     Hi everyone,

Taylor is now a one year postie as of Feb 3rd.  She had another MRI on Feb 1st that showed no change since surgery.  She still has an empty space where her tumor used to be and a very small white spot which is probably scar tissue but could be a tiny piece he missed.  Of course that means regular MRI's to monitor it.

Unfortunately, she did not regain any movement at all in her cheek.  She can blink, although that lid lags behind the other one sometimes, I think mostly when she's tired.  The eye itself is numb, but she gets tingles in and around it sometimes...  The eye muscle surgery she had last summer corrected the alignment problem but she still gets double vision sometimes.  Her handwriting is still slowly improving but is not near as fast as she wants it to be.  Same with balance.  She can walk perfectly normal if she concentrates on it every second.  She still has the pins and needles tingly feeling in her entire left side (tumor was on right side) from her neck to her toes that REALLY bugs her.  It gets worse if she walks too far or stands up too long.  She is taking 2100 mg of Neurontin a day for this with no real relief.  They are going to switch her to a different med very soon.

The real news is she has decided to go for reanimation surgery and it is scheduled for Valentines Day, Wednesday the 14th.  She is nervous and scared it will not work or that she will look worse.  She is having it done at the Barnes-Childrens Hospital complex in St Louis.  Her doctor is Gregory Borschel.  He had training in this procedure from Dr's Manktelow and Zuker in Toronto, Canada at Toronto General and Hospital for Sick Children.  This is the cross-facial nerve graft followed by the muscle transplant 6-9 months later.  From my research, I feel this is the way to go.  The best chance for the best outcome.  Anyone have any experience with these Dr's.  Anyone interested can go to http://www.sickkids.ca/smile-surgery for details on these Dr's and this procedure.  I'll keep you all updated. I know you'll all be pulling for her.  Many thanks to you all for your encouragement and support.   Kathy 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Taylor update--Surgery this Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:44:32 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Hugs to Taylor and to you as you face the latest challenge in her recovery.  Give her my best, from one of the "oldies" (but goodies, I hope!)  ;D

Kindest regards,

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Karen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:24:13 pm »
Good luck tooo Taylor.  I met you at the meeting in St.Louis in Jan.  Tell Taylor to hang in there.  I think of her and hope she will do well.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

TaylorsMom

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
Thank you, Karen.  I remember you.  The lady on your left, can't remember who that was, had heard of Dr Borschel and had his name written down for me at the meeting.  We had already talked to him at that point.  Hope you are doing well.  Have you seen Jackie in Wisconsin lately?  I think I remember you saying you were going to her therapy program.

Kathy

Denise

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:41:06 am »
 Good Luck tomorrow, hope all goes well, and she has a speedy recovery, with good results.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:10:50 am »
Kathy,

I cannot believe it's been a year since this journey for Taylor and you and your family began (from surgery date).  Please give Taylor a BIG huggle from me (keep part of that huggle for you as well... you have truly been amazing!)

I'm sending wishes and thoughts and hugs for Taylor's procedure and please let her know that she's gonna do great!  Tell her it's time to Rock n' Roll and get her feeling great!

Huggles to you all.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:01:05 pm »
Good luck tomorrow.  I'll be thinking of Taylor while holed up at home through a Boston nor'easter!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:14:04 am »
  Will keep good thoughts & prayers for Taylor  today.    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:30:05 am »
Ok, Pirate sock on one foot, Valentine Sock (that mom gave me years ago) on the other foot so Taylor can feel the love and support!

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:33:43 am »
Taylor here's wishing you a fabulous valentines day outcome!  Know we're all here pulling for you and engulfing you and your mom in postive loving energy to get you through today!

Hugs!
M

Obita

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:35:59 am »
Good luck Taylor!!

And Happy Valentine's Day too!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

chelsmom

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 11:10:11 pm »
Dear Taylor and Family,

We have been thinking about you all day.  Hope everything went well.  Give her a big hug.

Our Best Regards,

Michelle

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 06:49:59 am »
Taylor:   I thought about you all day yesterday.
            My prayers & thoughts are with you.
            Keep a peaceful heart during your recovery,   Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis