Author Topic: What does your tinnitus sound like?  (Read 17328 times)

aardvark

Re: What does your tinnitus sound like?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 03:24:20 pm »
A cacophony of crickets, cicadas, and tree frogs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:08:07 pm by aardvark »
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

kjmema

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 03:29:29 pm »
My head is full of cicadas and crickets.  Actually not too unpleasant.  YET!!!!  The first time I noticed it was at night and I thought it was coming from the open window. The rather soothed sound of the chirping insects .  Then I sat bolt upright and realized it was 20 degrees and the window was closed....It's summer time year round in my head.   :-\
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Obita

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 05:13:44 pm »
hey matti - I had forgotten about the helicopter.......I have not heard that since a few months post op.  I do remember it well.............but do not miss it. 
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:19:57 pm »
WOW what a bunch of talented musicians- mine is just a dull humm- sometimes the pitch changes but really I just keep igoring it.  HMMM now I will have to listen.  (Mine hasn't bothered me to much)... I do hear it more at night but figured that's because the house was quiet :P Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 08:53:28 pm »
I was just having this conversation with someone about my childhood and tinnitus...so it begs the question....did anyone else as a kid (or an adult) wake up in the middle of the night and try to rid your pillow of a bee?  I can remember being so convinced there was a bee in my pillow a few times and turning on the light and finding nothing.

My tinnitus now is like standing in a field full of crickets and cicadas...a good description.   Sometime I get a ringing like I'm standing inside a bell that will last for a few seconds.  It's very loud normally, but I've had it so long it doesn't bother me much. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Windsong

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:55 pm »
I did have a tinnitus as a kid yes. At times it was as if iw as hearing a pulsing sound through one ear only. I don't recall the specifics of the sounds but it did keep me awake and at times was very loud......

W.

I was just having this conversation with someone about my childhood and tinnitus...so it begs the question....did anyone else as a kid (or an adult) wake up in the middle of the night and try to rid your pillow of a bee?  I can remember being so convinced there was a bee in my pillow a few times and turning on the light and finding nothing.

My tinnitus now is like standing in a field full of crickets and cicadas...a good description.   Sometime I get a ringing like I'm standing inside a bell that will last for a few seconds.  It's very loud normally, but I've had it so long it doesn't bother me much. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:14:30 pm by Windsong »

kippy6

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 09:54:28 pm »
Before surgery, I had intermittent tinnitus in my right ear. It sounded like electrical sounds or beeps. Sometimes I had the regular AN tinnitus too, which was just the ringing. However, I remember having the beeping noises - a year before I was diagnosed - one night as I was falling asleep. When I heard someone else's voice, an extra electrical-type sound or beep would be added to their words or sentence. I truly thought I was off my rocker for a little while. When it went away, I never thought any more about it. Thought I was just crazy for a day or two. A year later, my tinnitus started up again. Now, after surgery, tinnitus is extremely rare for me.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Stevey

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 11:28:44 pm »
My Tinnitus usually is of the EEEEEEE sound but after loud noises, I hear Darth Vader like panting noises, It's awful, I hope that I will not be seduced by the dark side (of something).  I hate the inability to locate my kids, I yell up the stairs to them and they tug on my polo and say Dad, I am right next to you, ususally after the conversation is over.  We need a system, or an intercom or room cams.
Ahhhh!  I need to go to sleep!
G'night

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

Dealy

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
Here is one from an NF2. First AN that I had surgery on and still too this day sounds like distant sleigh bells during xmas time. Now after radiation on 2nd tumor-it sounds like the EEEEEEEE that others discribe and gets louder if I climb steps at work which I have yet too figure out why it does that. The hardest part now for me is too hear ordinary speech and voices and sounds-unless someone is really close too me it sounds like when you have your head underwater-cannot determine what people say. If I am in an environment where people are really talking away it becomes so distracting that I prefer too leave the area. Wow what a Rush. Rons

superrmaren

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 02:18:25 pm »
i didnt count myself among those with T until i read "Late summer cicadas"
that's me! 
and an occasional tractor-trailer horn   hoooooooooonk
good thread! i never knew!!!
xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

carmen g

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:26 pm »
Hi,  I thought I would join in, because I have been questioning the occassional "popping" in my AN ear.  For the most part though I just have the constant EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, like a lot of the rest of you.
Carmen
Diagnosis received 3-9-07.
1.7 cm, left side
Retro-sigmoid surgery 5-23-07
No complications, recovering well

kss4luck

• 2.1 cm removed translab 5/4/07 Dr Jung/Clark RCH
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 04:13:57 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I hear the sound of a car window open driving down the freeway, but sometimes I hear tones like a electronic keyboard. The tune sounds slightly familiar but I can't place it. I kind of like that part Its soothing and reminds me to relax.  I had a jewish friend that swears her mom who had an AN heard onward Christian Soldiers much to her disappointment. too funny

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 08:30:26 pm »
Hi Jen!

You kidding? Join the club! My left ear feels as if it's been walled up for eternity, like a long lost Egyptian tomb, with swarms of scarrabs and cicadas buzzing about inside. The tinnitus is often as loud as the "good" sound coming in through my working ear. It also feels very "full". Sometimes the tinnitus is so bad it causes an actual sensation of vibration. Then there's the pulsating tinnitus, where you can both hear and feel the blood whooshing, pulsing and coursing through the blood vessels in your head.
That's probably the worst kind because it feels as though you're on the verge of having an aneurysm.

You will also notice that the tinnitus intensifies whenever you shift your eyes left, right or up and down.

Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.