Author Topic: Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) Shunt Placement  (Read 5654 times)

Vernalee

Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) Shunt Placement
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:48:55 pm »
I had a VP shunt placement on 6/13/2002 with very few complications.  However, ever since the surgery, I have SEVERE pain in the top of my head near the shunt when I sneeze or cough.  The pain is best described as your basic "brain freeze" from excessive cold ice cream.  The initial pain is so severe it does bring tears to my eyes but then it immediately lightens up.  If I hold my head during the sneezing or coughing episode, it does help the pain but it is still there.  Could healing still be going on or am I going to live with this forever?

Thanks for any help.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) Shunt Placement
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »
Does not sound right to me  :o.. we have several people here that have shunts .. and no one has this pain ..

Have you talked to your doctor about this?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

JDJ925

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:50 am »
I had the same type of shunt implanted in April 2006. At first, I did experience the same kind of "Brain Freeze" pain after a sneeze, but that stopped after 2 to 3 weeks.
Does your shunt have an adjustable valve? If so, you may want to have your neurologist/neurosurgeon check the setting to make sure that it's relieving enough pressure. In any case, I would definitely tell your doctor about these symptoms, because they don't sound routine.

JD
Translab surgery on 3/9/2006 removed 3.2cm AN right ear
Dr. Harry Van Loveren / Dr. Paul Boyev / Dr. John Susac
Tampa General Hospital

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:42:21 am »
Anytime that  coughing causes the type of pain that you describe needs to be checked out bu your doctor.  Please contact them and fill them in, but strongly mention this.  It can be a neurological symptom. 

Best to you
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

chelsmom

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:47:50 pm »
My daughter had 2 VP shunts and 2 AV shunts in the last 7 months.  The last one was placed in Sept. 2006 (AV).
She has never had the sensation or pain you are discribing but she has horrible pain when ever she has an MRI.  She said it feels like the shunt is being ripped out of her head.  It takes a few hours for most of the pain to subside but takes a couple days before it is completely gone.  I would let you doctor know ASAP.  It doesn't sound right.

Good Luck

Michelle